Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 11-02-2019, 03:39 AM   #81

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Miramar 34.2
State: California
THOR #14761
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico View Post
My cousin is also looking to exit CA very soon and has tried on our great state of TN for size. The general rule is if your blood runs blue, move to another 'blue state'; if it runs red, seek out a 'red state'. Don't bring your votes and the problems they may have caused in your old state along with you to the new, well-functioning state. Not to spout political here, but hubby and I had to leave what was once a good state and what once was THE highest per capita income county in the nation, due to its 180 turn in political climate. Now that the 'other' party took over, that county is almost at the bottom of the scales and property taxes are 2nd highest in the nation. As one parties members leave the state, the other party guarantees the downfall of the state.
. Well said well said I’m from California Monterey Bay and I agree 100% the climate has changed and it’s tough to live here. My wife and I are 60 and 55 we bought a Miramar 34 several years ago and love it I would consider moving somewhere else but it’s hard to beat the weather in Monterey Bay although the taxes are killing us and the politics.

Miramar 2017 34.2, roadmaster front & rear sway bars, sumo shock, Roadmaster stabilizer bar, Koni shocks, F150 crewcab coyote motor , 2004 40th #26th edition 911, E350 2 door coupe, Mini Paceman 2013 6 speed manual toad/ RV
SANDDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 04:48 AM   #82

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
Agree, Californians are trying to ruin Texas.
Old 11-02-2019, 12:57 PM   #83

Model: Miramar 37.1
THOR #12698
I am 63 and retired the first time in 2010 after 34 years on the job. Went back to work (to do something) in 2016 and retired again in 2019. Wife is 64 and retired 18 years ago never looking back. This is our 2nd motor home since 2015. When I retired again this past April, we had decided to start traveling around the USA. Took a 5 week 6700 mile southern state trip from Ca to Florida up to Virginia and Kentucky. Stayed at many great locations along the way. Two weeks after returning to Ca we were off of Tombstone Arizona for 5 days. One week after returning home to Ca I took our grandson to Yellowstone National Park for 7 days. Three weeks later we took off to Salt Lake City for 5 days. In total we drove our mh over 10,000 miles this past summer. We have our daughter, son in law and 6 year old grandson living with us in California. I still try to go at least 3 days per month somewhere local with our grandson in our mh.
Old 11-02-2019, 02:39 PM   #84

Model: Vegas 25.5
State: Arizona
THOR #14921
We’re on the back-side of mid-60’s. Health forced me into retirement at 62 - she retired the same year. I had been rebuilding a 5th wheel toy hauler before we retired and we were going to hit the road and go “everywhere” with it...
I found out that I did not like all the inconsiderate people on the freeways that buzzed us like flies and we were too big/tall to be able to safely navigate the backroads along with Federal & State Parks we wanted to stay in. We went from our sticks-n-bricks in South Eastern Minnesota to Gold Canyon AZ where we fell in love with the desert and an RV park. We dropped anchor there.
We’ve since traded in the 5th wheel on a Cedar Creek Cottage and the truck went for a Jeep.
We’re still trying to get out and travel some and have mixed up the plan a couple times.
Currently we are dragging our Jeep behind a 2017 Thor Vegas. We have a wonderful small female Maltese named CoCoa and she’s a near perfect traveler..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	85C4D17C-E782-4230-B9F3-7E060E44F5A0.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	21230   Click image for larger version

Name:	417BA964-35F9-4B7C-8057-6DC24DCAB411.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	124.2 KB
ID:	21231  

Click image for larger version

Name:	D9F281D3-5A8B-4A87-839B-07CA68CEB1DA.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	182.9 KB
ID:	21232   Click image for larger version

Name:	48C28EF1-5E61-41E2-B615-E925F7C3C023.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	148.9 KB
ID:	21233  

Midlothian, TX / Gold Canyon, AZ
Big-Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 08:39 PM   #85

Model: Aria 4000
State: Tennessee
THOR #13587
My lady and I are 45, and we didn't plan on being RVers. I was forcibly retired from the CHP after getting smashed up really good by a tractor trailer. The disability wouldn't pay the mortgage in CA, so this native Californian used the equity from my house to buy an RV to move my family (2 kids, neither of which tolerate flying or long road trips) to Tennessee, which made my native Kentuckian wife happy. It's been a bit longer than expected to square things away and find a house at which we can park the RV, so in the meantime, we're establishing our local roots from a very expensive RV park. Soon as we get a place to call home, and the camper can be more camper and less house, the travel can begin!
Old 11-02-2019, 08:51 PM   #86

Model: 29m
THOR #16201
Quote:
Originally Posted by SANDDOG View Post
. Well said well said I’m from California Monterey Bay and I agree 100% the climate has changed and it’s tough to live here. My wife and I are 60 and 55 we bought a Miramar 34 several years ago and love it I would consider moving somewhere else but it’s hard to beat the weather in Monterey Bay although the taxes are killing us and the politics.
SANDOG, are you born and raised in the Monterey bay area? I was born in Watsonville and graduated from there in 1982 and my wife is from Prunedale. After 24 years of machining in the area, got a job with the State and hopefully will retire in 5 years or so. I loved the area but it got way to crowded for us. We moved to a hot climate and I have so many broken bones from motorcycle riding that it actually fills good on my joints bones. You get used to the heat for sure. I am looking forward to getting out of Cali and moving to a hopefully better political state. Don't worry folks, I do not like politics and only want to keep what I have and don't want someone to take it away.
Old 11-02-2019, 10:48 PM   #87

Model: 25.4
THOR #7440
DocMike, thank you for your service, I got out of the Army when you went in, I spent two tours in Vietnam, got to fly as a door gunner and run heavy equipment, no civilian job in the states for a door gunner so I ended up as a Catapiller Mechanic, International Union of Operating engineers, VA has awarded me 100% service connected total and permeant, I paid my house off 20 years ago so I can afford to stick out the Southern California life style, if you are ever in the desert area of Yuma and want to try some Bass fishing look me up and then we can talk about this one tooth that is bothering me!! Ha Ha
Old 11-05-2019, 05:38 AM   #88

State: Colorado
THOR #16308
I'm 56, she is 50. We are growing old disgracefully.

We work part time to keep paying the bills. We work when we want to and don't when we don't want to. With the RV, it makes it hard to have a real job. They want you to commit to schedules. We can't do that anymore.

We try to vacation at least once a month, for a week or so.

You can only work so much, then you have to play.

We have our priorities in line.

Since we consider our RV our second home, we're just like everyone else . . . we spend a lot of time "at home", where ever that might be at the time.
Old 11-05-2019, 01:31 PM   #89
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Growing old "disgracefully": I LIKE that!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 09:27 PM   #90

Model: Vegas 25.3
THOR #4796
[QUOTE=VinnieSmith; The disability wouldn't pay the mortgage in CA, so this native Californian used the equity from my house to buy an RV to move my family (2 kids, neither of which tolerate flying or long road trips) to Tennessee, which made my native Kentuckian wife happy. [/QUOTE]
Where in TN did you end up? And what's the name of the campground? We are in Dandridge near enough to Anchors Down RV Resort, which I've been told is very nice.
2011 Jeep Wrangler toad
Calico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 11:02 PM   #91

Model: Aria 4000
THOR #13587
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico View Post
Where in TN did you end up? And what's the name of the campground? We are in Dandridge near enough to Anchors Down RV Resort, which I've been told is very nice.
We're in Nashville, at the former Jellystone (now un-branded) RV Resort. It's an expensive tourist spot for sure, but we are trying to set down roots here. Will be nice to buy a place to park the RV and use the coach for trips as opposed to a home.
Old 11-16-2019, 03:59 AM   #92

THOR #14761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
Agree, Californians are trying to ruin Texas.
Were you born in Texas or did you go there to ruin it
Miramar 2017 34.2, roadmaster front & rear sway bars, sumo shock, Roadmaster stabilizer bar, Koni shocks, F150 crewcab coyote motor , 2004 40th #26th edition 911, E350 2 door coupe, Mini Paceman 2013 6 speed manual toad/ RV
Old 11-16-2019, 04:04 AM   #93

THOR #14761
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnieSmith View Post
My lady and I are 45, and we didn't plan on being RVers. I was forcibly retired from the CHP after getting smashed up really good by a tractor trailer. The disability wouldn't pay the mortgage in CA, so this native Californian used the equity from my house to buy an RV to move my family (2 kids, neither of which tolerate flying or long road trips) to Tennessee, which made my native Kentuckian wife happy. It's been a bit longer than expected to square things away and find a house at which we can park the RV, so in the meantime, we're establishing our local roots from a very expensive RV park. Soon as we get a place to call home, and the camper can be more camper and less house, the travel can begin!
Wow great read thank you for your service I have great respect for California CHP those guys and gals are tough
Old 11-16-2019, 04:12 AM   #94

THOR #14761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinetools1 View Post
SANDOG, are you born and raised in the Monterey bay area? I was born in Watsonville and graduated from there in 1982 and my wife is from Prunedale. After 24 years of machining in the area, got a job with the State and hopefully will retire in 5 years or so. I loved the area but it got way to crowded for us. We moved to a hot climate and I have so many broken bones from motorcycle riding that it actually fills good on my joints bones. You get used to the heat for sure. I am looking forward to getting out of Cali and moving to a hopefully better political state. Don't worry folks, I do not like politics and only want to keep what I have and don't want someone to take it away.
Yes hate to say it but was born in Modesto and grew up in Mammoth Lakes, loved it set roots in Aptos California Monterey Bay married my beautiful wife. I know we’re not supposed to talk politics but I know where you’re coming from and I agree. Love racing Maico 450s and I had a sand spider, Dave McCoy from Mammoth Mountain gave me to race In the Mammoth Lakes motocross he’s a good guy. Yes It broke a few bones.
Old 11-17-2019, 12:22 PM   #95

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Michigan
THOR #9701
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogLovers View Post
So wadda ya think??

We are both recently retired, myself at 63 years old and my DW is a youngish 60. Just back from our first major (2 month) trip out west exploring our great state of Colorado, simply gorgeous! Looking forward to traveling through the warmer temperatures of the southern states this winter as it is getting very cold here in the Mitten!
Old 11-18-2019, 09:24 AM   #96

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Alaska
THOR #13320
Retired USAF, Retired From FAA, 72, wife 72, we both work a few days a week at the Boys & Girls Club, helping our youth find their way through life. We RV when we can, where we can, and will til the reaper calls.
Old 11-19-2019, 04:33 AM   #97

Model: Gemini 23TR
State: Arizona
THOR #14425
Send a message via Skype™ to JimSpy
I'm 63, and my wife is 59. I retired from the entertainment industry 10 years ago. Got the RV because the wife has some health issues that prevent us from flying (it's not the airplanes, it's the damn terminals! Anyone who has had to hoof it to Concourse C, Gate 54 in Terminal 4 of Phoenix Sky Harbor, knows of what I speak!) We've taken it out a few times, mainly here in AZ but a couple of cross-country hauls. Of course my wife loves it. Me? Eh. Lotta work. I'm supposed to be retired!
Thor Gemini 23TR
RVing since 2018
JimSpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 12:03 PM   #98
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimSpy View Post
I'm 63, and my wife is 59. I retired from the entertainment industry 10 years ago. Got the RV because the wife has some health issues that prevent us from flying (it's not the airplanes, it's the damn terminals! Anyone who has had to hoof it to Concourse C, Gate 54 in Terminal 4 of Phoenix Sky Harbor, knows of what I speak!) We've taken it out a few times, mainly here in AZ but a couple of cross-country hauls. Of course my wife loves it. Me? Eh. Lotta work. I'm supposed to be retired!
Has she asked for a wheelchair? My mom, in her 80s, always gets a wheelchair which comes with an airport staff member to push her around.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 02:58 AM   #99

Model: Hurricane
State: Alabama
THOR #7745
I’m 54 wife is 64 she retired I’m retiring next year and we have planned a summer trip up north to Iowa to beat the heat. I just had a thought about that what do you call southerners who go north in the summer Heat birds or maybe redneck birds lol
Old 11-22-2019, 03:57 AM   #100

Model: Thor Tuscany 36 MQ
State: Indiana
THOR #6280
Quote:
Originally Posted by One fat one View Post
I’m 54 wife is 64 she retired I’m retiring next year and we have planned a summer trip up north to Iowa to beat the heat. I just had a thought about that what do you call southerners who go north in the summer Heat birds or maybe redneck birds lol
Well sir the correct term for that would be Sunbirds. Sunbirds are people who travel north or to higher elevations in summer months to avoid the heat.

Come on up to see us sometime. :-)
Traveling with Shih Tzu's Baily, Bella and Maltese Buster. Towing, Golf Cart, Harley or Polaris RZR. 3 of our darling Shih Tzu's passed away recently and I just can't take them off of here. RIP Baxter, Baili & sweet sweet Bella. Buster is our little rock.
DogLovers is offline   Reply With Quote