Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-31-2019, 12:14 AM   #61

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 31L
State: Florida
THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisngrod View Post
36 and wife is 34. Three kids that travel with us most of the time. Two out of four dogs usually go
Thinking about having another. Kid that is.

Got the RV at the beginning of summer. Have gone to NC, up to Wisconsin, down to Galveston and will wrapping up the season by going to Vegas for SEMA.
It's 1976. I'm 15. The parents sell the house, put the furniture and my Dune Buggy in storage and we hit the road for 4 months and around 4k miles. Six
people 2 dogs and a cat in a 25' Prowler with 4 bunks and a dinette that lays into a bed (for the parents), towed behind a Buick Country Squire 9 passenger wagon with a 455.

We criss-cross the country starting south along the east coast, head west and turn north into CA. Cross the northern half before winter settles in. Dad has the carburetor rejetted at a local garage because of the altitude changes (it's 1976 - no FI per se). I have pics of us standing in snow atop the Big Horn Mountains in shorts having a snowball fight.

We landed in NC where I finshed High School and later joined the Air Force. That trip was the best time of my life. So much so, I'm doing again - as a grown man - and have covered 7200mi in less than a year.

I believe the phrase was "Keep on truckin'"?

Be cool, stay safe and enjoy this beautiful country we live in.

Old 10-31-2019, 01:00 PM   #62

State: Tennessee
THOR #3372
Going strong at 76 and 73

Wife and I have been camping in one form or another since we married 53 years ago. We have used everything from a truck camper to a 28' motorhome ( even tried some tent camping early on ). Those tents got great gas mileage. Completed our second 90 day cross country adventure to Alaska on October 1 this year. Logged 13069 miles the first time in 2016 and 11745 miles on the second trip. Everyone should see Alaska through the windshield of their camping rig. Our 2016 Thor Axis 24.1 preformed very well on both trips. We retired back in 1998 full time and have not missed the daily grind and stress. Our 3 children live near us and we stay busy with the 5 grand children age 7-17. Be safe and kind.
Old 10-31-2019, 02:46 PM   #63

Model: Thor Freedom Elite 24HE
State: Vermont
THOR #15420
average age

I'm 76 the other half 69....Retired at 55 been camping for years and years ...I'll keep going as long as possible ..hahahaha..Sleeping bags to tents to truck campers ,tag alongs and 5th wheels ..Settled in to a Freedom Elite 24 HE...love it …
Old 10-31-2019, 02:51 PM   #64

Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Iowa
THOR #15642
Age of RV travelers

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Breeze View Post
It's 1976. I'm 15. The parents sell the house, put the furniture and my Dune Buggy in storage and we hit the road for 4 months and around 4k miles. Six

people 2 dogs and a cat in a 25' Prowler with 4 bunks and a dinette that lays into a bed (for the parents), towed behind a Buick Country Squire 9 passenger wagon with a 455.

We criss-cross the country starting south along the east coast, head west and turn north into CA. Cross the northern half before winter settles in. Dad has the carburetor rejetted at a local garage because of the altitude changes (it's 1976 - no FI per se). I have pics of us standing in snow atop the Big Horn Mountains in shorts having a snowball fight.

We landed in NC where I finshed High School and later joined the Air Force. That trip was the best time of my life. So much so, I'm doing again - as a grown man - and have covered 7200mi in less than a year.

I believe the phrase was "Keep on truckin'"?

Be cool, stay safe and enjoy this beautiful country we live in.

Will do!

Army vet myself. Jumped out of some perfectly good Air Force planes. If my wife doesn't kill me this should be a nice hobby. Been tinkering a lot and fixing warranty issues for the sake of it just being over and done with.

She's great at prepping the rig with food and clothes.
Old 10-31-2019, 03:33 PM   #65

Model: 29m
State: California
THOR #16201
There are a lot of interesting people on the forum and all different ages for sure. It seems some people form California did not stay and moved to other states. I think that might be a good move.
Old 10-31-2019, 04:24 PM   #66

THOR #13966
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnabernal View Post
So the oldest is 10. We put the three oldest boys 10, 8 and 6 in drop down queen bed. Girls 9, 7 and 4 sleep on queen fold out sofa. 3 and two year old sleep on dinette and 1 uear old sleeps with us. We still have the bunk beds open for future growth.
TNaberal, you have figured out what is causing your population explosion by now? God Bless you.http://www.thorforums.com/forums/ima...k/facepalm.gif
Old 10-31-2019, 05:06 PM   #67

Model: 34J
State: California
THOR #15649
Haha we known the cause and have embraced having a large family. We may not have a lot of stuff but our needs are met and we enjoy the gift of the present.

Having said all that as noted above it would be nice to get out of CA. Cost of living is too much for one income and so many mouths to feed.
Old 10-31-2019, 05:55 PM   #68

Model: Vegas 25.3
State: Tennessee
THOR #4796
My cousin is also looking to exit CA very soon and has tried on our great state of TN for size. The general rule is if your blood runs blue, move to another 'blue state'; if it runs red, seek out a 'red state'. Don't bring your votes and the problems they may have caused in your old state along with you to the new, well-functioning state. Not to spout political here, but hubby and I had to leave what was once a good state and what once was THE highest per capita income county in the nation, due to its 180 turn in political climate. Now that the 'other' party took over, that county is almost at the bottom of the scales and property taxes are 2nd highest in the nation. As one parties members leave the state, the other party guarantees the downfall of the state.
2011 Jeep Wrangler toad
Calico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 07:19 PM   #69

State: Alabama
THOR #15026
My husband and I are both retired. I am 65 and he is 64 and we started with a pull behind in 2006 and I finally "upgraded" to what is my Dream RV (or at least the Dream one that is within my budget) a Thor Hurricane Windsport 29M this past April so we can travel more comfortably.
Old 10-31-2019, 09:11 PM   #70

THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico View Post
My cousin is also looking to exit CA very soon and has tried on our great state of TN for size. The general rule is if your blood runs blue, move to another 'blue state'; if it runs red, seek out a 'red state'. Don't bring your votes and the problems they may have caused in your old state along with you to the new, well-functioning state. Not to spout political here, but hubby and I had to leave what was once a good state and what once was THE highest per capita income county in the nation, due to its 180 turn in political climate. Now that the 'other' party took over, that county is almost at the bottom of the scales and property taxes are 2nd highest in the nation. As one parties members leave the state, the other party guarantees the downfall of the state.
That's completely political. And so be it. My blood runs red. Blue blood is expired - the O2 is all used up. If you can't breathe you can't function and there's nothing more dysfunctional than our HOR right now.

Trump - 4 more years.
Old 10-31-2019, 09:21 PM   #71

THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strait331 View Post
TNaberal, you have figured out what is causing your population explosion by now? God Bless you.http://www.thorforums.com/forums/ima...k/facepalm.gif
No kidding right? Dude's been a busy man. I wonder where he finds time to work to pay for it all
Old 10-31-2019, 09:50 PM   #72

Model: Thor Tuscany 36 MQ
State: Indiana
THOR #6280
63 retired but my wife says I'm 12. :-)
Traveling with Shih Tzu's Baily, Bella and Maltese Buster. Towing, Golf Cart, Harley or Polaris RZR. 3 of our darling Shih Tzu's passed away recently and I just can't take them off of here. RIP Baxter, Baili & sweet sweet Bella. Buster is our little rock.
DogLovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 09:52 PM   #73

THOR #6280
Quote:
That's completely political. And so be it. My blood runs red. Blue blood is expired - the O2 is all used up. If you can't breathe you can't function and there's nothing more dysfunctional than our HOR right now.

Trump - 4 more years.
Houah!
Traveling with Shih Tzu's Baily, Bella and Maltese Buster. Towing, Golf Cart, Harley or Polaris RZR. 3 of our darling Shih Tzu's passed away recently and I just can't take them off of here. RIP Baxter, Baili & sweet sweet Bella. Buster is our little rock.
Old 10-31-2019, 10:14 PM   #74

THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogLovers View Post
63 retired but my wife says I'm 12. :-)
Yeah, and the problem with that is?????

Age is number. Life is a mindset.

Houah belongs to the Army (AF here). Did you serve?
Old 10-31-2019, 10:53 PM   #75

Model: Quantum KM24
State: Georgia
THOR #8438
I turn 82 in 10 days and wife 80 in Jan. Returned today from 10 day trip to Myrtle Beach and Charleston SC. Legs beginning to go and I do more bench warming and less walking. We usually go somewhere each day but return to the campsite within 4 hours. This is our 5th and last MH.

Wendell in Evans. Ga.
Old 11-01-2019, 12:17 AM   #76

Model: Palazzo 33.2
THOR #8078
We started with a primitive canvas pop up camper on our honeymoon, in our mid 20's. Moved up to a fancier pop up when we had kids and used it for 25 years. Rented class C and A motorhomes when we were in our 50's. Now own a Palazzo in our young 60's
Old 11-01-2019, 12:23 AM   #77

THOR #6280
Quote:

Love me some Skynyrd!!!
Old 11-01-2019, 12:24 AM   #78

THOR #6280
Quote:

We had this conversation before. Yes ARMY.
Old 11-01-2019, 02:12 AM   #79

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Nexus Viper 27V
THOR #2142
Started in the Army back in 1972, 12B10 Combat Engineer...retired NC Air Guard as Dental Officer in 1995 (LTC). Still practicing Dentistry at age 66 but counting down the time left before retirement.
Wife retired at age 64.
Evaluating next RV for some long term RV'ing (12-18 mo's) across the US of A before picking a state to retire in.
Thanks to all Veterans and their families on this website for their service to this great nation!

DocMike

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 12:58 PM   #80

Model: Axis 24.1
THOR #2902
We are both 54 and have been married 31 years. I am retired (OR nurse) and my husband is planning on retiring in 2 years when hopefully both our college daughters are officially "off the payroll".
We have moved many times over the years including overseas with Kimberly-Clark and now SC Johnson.
We are planning on lots of fun adventures in our Thor Axis 24.1!