Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 02-17-2017, 01:08 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom elite 26he
State: Iowa
THOR #5830
Air compressor

I have read post about carrying air compressor and have a small powermate 1 gal 100psi one it cut out at 95psi. We have 2017 fe 26he. I think the tire pressure is 85psi (in storage now). Wonder if this compressor work to add small tire pressure leakage. Have no idea of leakage on rv tires.

Old 02-17-2017, 01:43 PM   #2

Model: 37GT
State: Florida
THOR #5246
Your best bet is to check your tire pressures with a good quality digital gauge, then make adjustments with that compressor. If it will get them up to the proper pressure you desire then go with it, if not then you may want to shop around for a slightly bigger one.

I probably need a larger compressor but mine will get the job done, it just takes longer.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 02:23 PM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Georgetown 31L5
State: Ohio
THOR #6277
It will probably do the job for topping off the tires. I am very pleased with the size and weight of my Porter Cable 150 psi compressor (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1).
Old 02-17-2017, 02:55 PM   #4

Model: Hurricane 31K
State: Florida
THOR #3520
An important consideration in choosing an air compressor is not just how high it will go but at what pressure it kicks back on when using air. Example: you want to fill to 90 PSI. The compressor will pump up to 95 PSI. Sounds good? Not if it does not restart until it gets down to 85 PSI. In this case 85 PSI is the highest you can continually get from the compressor. Not good enough if you need 90 PSI. Also consider the volume of air it will give you at full pressure. It does not take a lot of air for a bicycle tire but a small compressor could take an hour to fill a large high pressure tire. Just two things to look at when selecting a compressor.
Chuck Peck in CasaLoca
Old 02-17-2017, 04:41 PM   #5

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickosterloh View Post
I have read post about carrying air compressor and have a small powermate 1 gal 100psi one it cut out at 95psi. We have 2017 fe 26he. I think the tire pressure is 85psi (in storage now). Wonder if this compressor work to add small tire pressure leakage. Have no idea of leakage on rv tires.
Regarding normal leakage, I don't need to reinflate my tires very often. I'd guess every few months at most. I check them before long trips and most of the time I don't need to add air. I'd guess that I add air to normal car tires more often.

My tires are a slightly larger than yours, and I run lower air pressure (rated for same 80 PSI MAX but I use 60 or lower on mine), which slows normal air loss.

I don't carry a compressor, electing to inflate at home or gas station as I would do on any other vehicle I've owned. If I didn't have a spare, then a compressor or other means of inflating would be desirable.
Old 02-17-2017, 04:58 PM   #6

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
I carry a 20 pound C02 canister. Provides pressure required quickly.
Old 02-17-2017, 05:10 PM   #7

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laco View Post
I carry a 20 pound C02 canister. Provides pressure required quickly.
That would be my likely choice also. After looking at CO2 a while back, it seemed like a better solution should I want/need to inflate while on the road. CO2 works really fast on bike tires and I expect it would be as convenient for RV and car tires as well. Just a little higher cost. Seems common with off-road guys.