Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-10-2018, 07:57 PM   #61
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
well if your trying to cool 30 foot with one ac and your getting 75 deg when 90 outside IMO your doing good.

I was struggling to get 82 last year on my 27 foot axis (all windows blocked off). This year im doing much better but only if I cover most of the windows with the reflective bubbles when sitting all day in full sun.

I which I could put up an "instant cloud" over my RV when needed. LOL. Much lighter (and easier) than hauling two 75 foot Oak trees with me every where I go. LOL.
Here you go:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/ShelterL...2693/202065768

well ok its only 20ft long--buy two

JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 08:09 PM   #62

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Yep, now if it just came with a remote and you just press a button to install and un-install.

I like my instant cloud idea. Worth millions if we can make it work. I figured we can export to china and they can shove some clouds in a pringle can for $19.99. LOL
Old 08-10-2018, 08:33 PM   #63

Model: Challenger 37LX
State: Florida
THOR #6310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
Yep, now if it just came with a remote and you just press a button to install and un-install.

I like my instant cloud idea. Worth millions if we can make it work. I figured we can export to china and they can shove some clouds in a pringle can for $19.99. LOL
I just had a moment of brilliance! What about an extended bimini top for an RV? Fold back and tie down for travel.

Tada! lol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bayliner_elementxr7_biminiextension_2015.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	12156  
Old 08-10-2018, 08:39 PM   #64

THOR #12231
Perfect.

Cut some holes for the solar panels and for AC air flow.

I thought about adding an awning on the driver side but I would want the entire front windshield and side windows covered to block the heat.
Old 08-10-2018, 10:57 PM   #65

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinb1977 View Post
Same here. We are in South Dakota and it’s 90. And can run just one ac because only 30 amp. 40 foot class A toy hauler so 30 foot without garage. It’s about 75 degrees. Something is wrong with it.
It's still anecdotal, but my 29M is parked in the driveway at home with one A/C running on the 30 amp service I have and the inside of the coach is 75. That is the temperature the stock t-stat is set at. Of course, the blinds are closed but I have no bubble wrap in the windows or added thermal curtains. The only mods I have for cooling are blocking the duct work 'extensions', a vent pillow in the living room ceiling vent and a small fan from WalMart to move the air around. I live in central Texas and we have had 33 days over 100 this summer and the coach is always comfortable when I go in it.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 11:43 PM   #66

State: Tennessee
THOR #8845
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
It's still anecdotal, but my 29M is parked in the driveway at home with one A/C running on the 30 amp service I have and the inside of the coach is 75. That is the temperature the stock t-stat is set at. Of course, the blinds are closed but I have no bubble wrap in the windows or added thermal curtains. The only mods I have for cooling are blocking the duct work 'extensions', a vent pillow in the living room ceiling vent and a small fan from WalMart to move the air around. I live in central Texas and we have had 33 days over 100 this summer and the coach is always comfortable when I go in it.
Thanks, hope our new unit works as well as yours.
Old 08-11-2018, 04:55 AM   #67

THOR #12231
Thats awesome it says that cool. I will have to try an fan in mine.
Old 09-16-2018, 05:41 PM   #68

Model: Vegas 25.3
State: Colorado
THOR #11629
My turn to jump in. I have a 2017 Vegas 25.3 we bought in May. The Coleman AC was useless. On our last trip I took the diffuser off the ceiling and discovered that the AC unit suffers from a HUGE imbalance problem between supply air(cold) and return air (intake). The return duct on the forward side of the unit has about 60 square inches of return air capacity(net free air, as it's called) but the cover/diffuser reduces that capacity to just 8 square inches! I am a retired contractor and have done my fair share of HVAC design and installation so I know that the AC is starved for return air so it can only pump out a fraction of it's capacity. Try taking the cover and diverter off and run the AC. You'll be surprised by the tornado of cold air. So I have built a replacement intake/distribution panel out of plywood and two return grilles. There is also a sliding panel under the supply side grille so I can either allow all the cold air come out into the living room/kitchen, close it completely and force cold air to the round registers in the ceiling, or close it partially to move cold air to all locations.

I'm attaching a couple of pictures to show what I've done. The first one shows the plywood perimeter attached to the AC flange and a new plywood divider between the supply and return sides (get rid of the existing Celotex panel and foam the gaps). The second picture shows the grilles and the sliding panel installed. I took it all apart and painted it white so it looks better than this.

I'm very happy with how it works now. It doesn't look as nice as the Coleman ceiling diffuser but that thing was the cause of the problem. One thing I've noticed about humans is that they very rarely look up so it will never be noticed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4512.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	12842   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4515.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	12843  

Old 09-16-2018, 08:53 PM   #69

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Kentucky
THOR #2817
A very interesting mod. Our AC works fine, but perhaps I could get it working better than fine.