Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-26-2018, 12:28 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Tennessee
THOR #8845
Air Conditioner - Coleman not keeping up and getting run around

The Coleman Mach 15,000 btu is not cooling our 2017 ACE 29.3. We are currently at Thor Factory Service center and have many issues fixed. Only issue left is this air conditioner. It does put out cold air. Today was 86, six hours with the air running the coolest it got in our coach was 80. Humidity was only 56percent. They tell us nothing is wrong. They have checked/taped all the vents, even moved the thermistor. We use reflective on the windows. We think there is something wrong with this unit and they should swap it. What are your opinions?

Old 07-26-2018, 12:48 AM   #2

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Take an accurate thermometer (not an infrared thermometer) and place it up by the air intakes after the a/c has run for at least 30 minutes. Do not let the thermometer touch anything. Note the reading after about 5 minutes. Move the thermometer to the air outlet at the a/c. Do not use the ceiling vents but the rapid cool vents on the a/c itself. Again for at least 5 minutes in position. The temperature difference should be about 20 degrees on high cool. If the difference is less than 15 degrees you have a problem of some sort.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 02:25 AM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by edanddonna View Post

.....cut.... What are your opinions?

Hate to say it, but that’s a lot of motorhome for a single 15,000 BTUH A/C on a hot day. As a point of reference, I checked MHSRV Website, which is located in hot Dallas climate, and found every single new motorhome of that model and floorplan is listed with dual A/C and 5.5 kW generator. The dual 13,500 A/Cs have a combined 27,000 BTUH, which is 80% higher.

You should certainly check temperatures as suggested above, but should be realistic about the capacity limitations of a single A/C.
Old 07-26-2018, 11:11 AM   #4

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Jumping in Chance's boat on this one. Too much space for one A/C. Is there a "stub hole" and wiring available for another A/C. It would be worth adding another, whatever you had to do.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 12:31 PM   #5

Model: Chateau Super C 33SW
THOR #10499
I'll jump in to edanddonna's boat on this one. 86 degrees out is not hot and the coach isn't too large for the 15k BTU unit. I had a 27'TT with a 15k BTU air conditioner. It was 107 degrees outside and a comfy 68 degrees inside. If you are only getting a 6 degree difference in temperature, then there is definitely something wrong with the unit. Just my thought, but experience tells me that it isn't working correctly.
Old 07-26-2018, 12:48 PM   #6

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
if it's blowing 'cold' air, then there's nothing 'wrong' with the air conditioner....it's probably more a product of the size of the space it's trying to cool, and any other conditions, such as air leaks, whether parked in the shade, how many times the door is opened, etc...

we place table top fans around the coach to help move air...as we find that this is just as important as the 'cooling' of the air.

but, in the summer months this discussion will always be a part of this forum.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 12:53 PM   #7

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Yeah, something is wrong. It should cool much better than what your seeing. Have you tried to insulate the roof unit? See other current posts on this subject. Perhaps it will help.

But if the AC is under warranty and you can finnally convince them to replace it I would go that route and then insulate the new one to max the cooling effect.
Old 07-26-2018, 12:57 PM   #8
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
My opinion (That's all that iut ius...): one air-conditioning unit in an RV that's carrying as much window glass as yours; is just not going to cut the mustard.
A second unit should be a serious consideration.
Sorry...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 01:44 PM   #9

Model: Challenger 37KT
State: Michigan
THOR #2628
Ill add my .02 worth. Motor home have a big disadvantage when it comes to Heat and Cold. The windshield. It is safety glass per DOT. Travel trailers and 5th wheels don't. In our Challenger, on a trip in 98 degree heat both AC worked very hard, but walking from front to back you could feel the temp difference.

Second AC is a good idea, if not possible, then a outside windshield cover and window awnings would help a lot.

KC
Old 07-26-2018, 01:52 PM   #10

THOR #11130
You can place the outdoor sensor of an indoor/outdoor thermometer near the front of the cab and see a huge difference in temperature from the middle of the camper. This radiant heat eats up the cool air the flows along the floor. It's almost like a vacuum of the cool air. I saw a post a few weeks back where they installed solid wall to wall, floor to ceiling curtains directly behind the front seats, closing off the front of the coach. It was an immediate difference in temps. Plus, they could close them underway and help the dash a/c better cool the front cab. Glass is the enemy and you have plenty of it.
Old 07-26-2018, 01:54 PM   #11

State: Indiana
THOR #12497
I just installed a 15 k unit in place of bedroom vent on ACE 30.1. Ran separate circuit out coach.
Old 07-26-2018, 02:00 PM   #12
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
With either the Sunguard or Magneshade windshield covers you can also see out when others can't see in (at least in the daytime) besides blocking a lot of the heat.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 02:02 PM   #13

THOR #11130
That's how you do it!! I can't live without excess A/C and wouldn't tolerate having to fight with it!
Old 07-26-2018, 02:17 PM   #14

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanChateau33SW View Post
I'll jump in to edanddonna's boat on this one. 86 degrees out is not hot and the coach isn't too large for the 15k BTU unit. I had a 27'TT with a 15k BTU air conditioner. It was 107 degrees outside and a comfy 68 degrees inside. If you are only getting a 6 degree difference in temperature, then there is definitely something wrong with the unit. Just my thought, but experience tells me that it isn't working correctly.

There can be a lot of differences beyond RV size. Travel trailer models are often designated differently, so 27’ isn’t as large as a 27’ motorhome. This model Ace in question is 30-ft long and has a full wall slide, which wasn’t as common on older travel trailers. Motorhomes have huge windshields that trailers don’t, and that can increase cooling load tremendously. Older trailers often had thicker walls with more insulation, and generally fewer and smaller windows. Differences can be huge.

When parked in the sun, I’ve never had a 30-ft motorhome with a single A/C which was truly cool even without a full-wall slide. Too much solar energy comes through all the windows so it’s more than just about the outside temperature. Obviously full-wall slides and associated air leaks don’t help with load on A/C.
Old 07-26-2018, 02:25 PM   #15

THOR #11130
Still paddling away...correct again!! Huge difference! My new MH cools very well with both 13.5's but doesn't come anywhere near what the Open Range did. That trailer would freeze you out with both units going.
Old 07-26-2018, 02:32 PM   #16
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
If you want to be really cool in your rig:
It'll take some extreme measures!

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1532615554
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EEG-Lou.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	267.4 KB
ID:	11784  
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 09:47 PM   #17

THOR #8845
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
If you want to be really cool in your rig:
It'll take some extreme measures!

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1532615554
That might help 🤞, just have to take up winter camping[emoji16]
Old 07-26-2018, 09:57 PM   #18

THOR #8845
Quote:
The Coleman Mach 15,000 btu is not cooling our 2017 ACE 29.3. We are currently at Thor Factory Service center and have many issues fixed. Only issue left is this air conditioner. It does put out cold air. Today was 86, six hours with the air running the coolest it got in our coach was 80. Humidity was only 56percent. They tell us nothing is wrong. They have checked/taped all the vents, even moved the thermistor. We use reflective on the windows. We think there is something wrong with this unit and they should swap it. What are your opinions?
Thanks everyone we appreciate all your knowledge, thoughts and opinions. Today the Thor service center continued to work on our air conditioner. After testing, no surprise that it tested with in guidelines. They did discover it freezes after 5 minutes. They managed to get approval to swap out our air conditioner. We are very excited to find out if it cools better. We will let you know[emoji4]
Old 07-26-2018, 10:04 PM   #19

Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #11781
I know it's anecdotal, but we camped outside of Dallas last month in a park that only had 30 amp service. It was in the upper 90s the whole time. We could only run one A/C and it kept the coach in the upper 70s the whole time. No matter what Thor says, there is something wrong with the A/C unit.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 10:26 PM   #20
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
That might help 🤞, just have to take up winter camping[emoji16]
Yeah: that's always a load of laughs!

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1532643989