Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-03-2017, 11:14 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Ohio
THOR #8642
Air Conditioner for Miramar

I have a 2016 34' Miramar that we really love....except for the AC. It has two units and although the rear unit cools the bedroom area real well...the front unit fails to keep the front half of the motorhome cool---especially when the sun is out. If the outside temp. is 85 the inside temp is between 87-90. There appears to be cool air coming from the unit and the last time I was at the Factory they 'checked' it and said it was OK...but it doesn't seem I should have to go outside to get cooled off....Any suggestions???? I go back to the factory mid Sept. and would like to have some ideas for them to start trouble shooting.....

Old 08-03-2017, 11:37 PM   #2

State: Alabama
THOR #7096
Sounds like they are giving you the run around, if your AC is still under warranty demand they install a new unit !
Old 08-04-2017, 01:00 AM   #3

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Under the inside cover there is a baffle separating intake and exhaust, sometimes they come loose, I would check that. You can also install an extra vent in the cover for more airflow like the one pictured.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2044.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	6184.
Old 08-04-2017, 01:30 AM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
Use a thermometer to check the temp of the air blowing out. I believe the ac air should be 20* colder than room temp

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 04:44 AM   #5

State: North Carolina
THOR #3952
You should get an hvac thermometer and check the intake and exhaust air. Should be at least 15 degrees difference. There are some things you can do to help the cooling. The front windshield is a massive heat absorber. A good quality cover will help immensely. As was mentioned, remove the AC cover and make sure the divider separating the intake and exhaust air is sealed properly. Clean filters and coil fins help too. Lots of good info on here if you do a search. Comes up every summer.
Old 08-04-2017, 12:18 PM   #6

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
The front shade on the windshield really won't block the heat, only the light. Depending on how you're oriented the sun will head up the side windows pretty quickly. Lots of tricks, buy a dedicated windshield shade like a Magnashade, go to Lowes and buy the foil coated bubble wrap insulation, cut to fit windows, or get UV blocking tint put on your windows.

Summer heat is a problem for everyone due to the big windows, with a little effort you can cut down on outside heat and make your coach more comfortable.
Old 08-04-2017, 06:28 PM   #7

State: Ohio
THOR #8642
Miramar Air Conditioner

Thanks to all. Will test temp. difference. Will get heavier foil on windows. The roof on my RV is light brown vs white...could that be an additional heat factor??
Old 08-04-2017, 06:45 PM   #8

Model: challenger 36 TL
State: Illinois
THOR #6705
a/c not cooling

Hi JRSmith ! I agree with SuperD, i had the same problem with our 2017 challenger. Dealer checked it out and found that the divider in both the front and rear a/c had fallen down and the rear a/c the freeze sensor had fallen out too. IMO i would check that out first.

Good Luck, but i think you will find that is the problem.
Old 08-08-2017, 04:20 PM   #9

Model: Quantum 31WS
State: Arizona
THOR #7419
That happened in ours as well. Efficiency dramatically increased when the baffle was reset correctly.

Also checked all ceiling vents. Find the improperly cut insulation blocked vents by about 40%. Cut properly again, a huge improvement in airflow.