Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 12-11-2019, 07:58 PM   #41

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 33SW, Diesel
State: Washington
THOR #3195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanh1 View Post
My wife and I are thinking about a trip to Alaska probably 2 years from now. Before I start any planning it seems a good way to start by asking if anyone who has done the trip has any suggestions. We'll be starting in Florida, probably as far away as we could be, but it's where we live so ....
I've done this trip all the way to Anchorage. It was miserable, you need to do it when the ground is frozen, we got stuck so many times. Then we could not even get to some of the coast towns, no way in by auto let alone RV. Lots of damage. Must have a lot of tools, compressor, some spare parts, and would I do this again absolutely YES! OK, so we had lots of problems but what an experience. As far as the people, they were awesome, they helped us out of almost every stuck situation, laughed a lot with them and on our own as well. Go with the mind that you will have problems and be willing to fix anything. I even fixed a flat tire, yes, the Canadians taught me how to do that even on a motorhome.

If you go, have a great time. Be prepared for the time of you life. Don't look at it as a problem, and give it plenty of time.

Old 12-11-2019, 08:52 PM   #42

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #5584
My wife and I moved from Southern Illinois to Anchorage back in 1975; I was 20, she was 19. Drove a 3/4 race Dodge Dart up the Alcan. Camped in a tent all the way up, and on most of the other trips. Makes me grin a little just thinking about it. Altogether, we've driven the highway 8 times, both directions. Taken the Inside Passage three times. But that was between the mid 70's to early 80's so my info would be seriously out of date. The highway was gravel back then, if you count "gravel" as fist sized or smaller. Third gear all the way, rarely over 30 mph. Small amount of paving before and after the few major towns. A true wilderness highway. Someone mentioned the Milepost https://www.themilepost.com/ By all means, get yourself a copy! It's billed as the bible of the northwest. It's not an exaggeration. There are, or were, some wonderful places along the way. Alaska itself was fabulous back then, and still was in the early 90's on my last visit. Flew in for my grandmother's funeral. She was one of the first pioneers up there, drove up right after WWII when the highway was opened up to civilian travel and never left. I wish I could be more help, but this thread has been a real trip down memory lane, and I wish you good luck on your journey! It's ironic. You're going from Florida to Alaska; I ended up in Florida.
Old 12-11-2019, 09:07 PM   #43

Model: A.C.E. 30.1
State: Nebraska
THOR #3161
Quote:
That's why I really appreciate folks on this forum. I always had this sort of picture in my mind, this somewhat verifies it. Second and third thoughts on going or not, but probably not. Az, Ut, Co, Nv are our favourite States to go road-tripping so thinking we'll keep the gasser and return to our favs. Many thanks for your response.
I can't speak to your questions about going to AK but if you decide not to go but still want to do something a little different I highly recommend going to Newfoundland & the Canadian Maritime Provinces. We had such a good time in Newfoundland that we have thought about going again but from NE that is one long trip. Might fly the next time.
Old 12-11-2019, 10:07 PM   #44

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
THOR #1765
I have driven to Alaska twice from Florida in a 22’ Class C and a Vegas 24.1. We drove the AlCan Highway twice, took side trips to Skagway and the ferry to Haines, driven to Fairbanks, 30 miles into Denali NP twice and camped for a week both times. We spent a few days in Anchorage and two weeks in the Kenai Peninsula both trips, one 4th of July in Seward and the other in Homer, flew into Katmai NP and saw 100 Bears up close and personal both trips. On the way home we took the top of the world highway from a Chicken to Dawson City and then down to Whitehorse. Going home we went down a Route 37 thru the wilderness and across Rt 16 stopping in Hyder Alaska twice to see more bears, and finished in Banff and Lake Louise. I had one small chip in my windshield and I below my A/C (which I didn’t miss) on the first trip. Those were my only casualties. Both trips were trips of my lifetime. I have lived overseas in Japan for 4 years, traveled to over 50 countries all over the world and never had more fun and a better time than our trips to Alaska. Don’t let anyone discourage you from going. I found the roads better than many in the states. Almost all are paved and there is gas all the way - just keep it topped off at every opportunity. Great places to camp and cheap if you don’t mind dry camping. Go!
Old 12-11-2019, 10:33 PM   #45

Model: Hurricane 34F
State: Texas
THOR #13062
We did 2 trips to AK and would love to go again but we're too old! An awesome, wonderful adventure. Yes, it's expensive and know that before you ever head out. Yes some roads could tear up your rig but you have to take it slow and easy. We used the Milepost and it is the only way to go. Get one from Amazon to get the feel of the trip. We left in early May-best time to us. We took about 3 months and about 16k miles. Yes, a lot of the scenery is boring but every trip is like that. I would much rather see the wilderness than wall to wall cars. We've done the east coast and the west many times, but we have never regretted going to Alaska. We took a 5th wheel both times (2010 &2012). Whatever you do, have no regrets. Blessed travels!
Old 12-11-2019, 11:21 PM   #46

State: Maryland
THOR #10255
Take Gas

Depending when you get to the northern route through Canada you may find few gas station open. Hit the area in April and needed to use the extra 25 gallons twice to make it. Had to get to Anchorage in time for compliance with Army orders.
Old 12-11-2019, 11:58 PM   #47

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
THOR #1765
Mid-May at the earliest is the best time. The first trip we had snow thru the Rockies on the AlCan and the second trio we had snow in Yellowstone NP on our way there. You’re right Milepost is a necessity. It is a little expensive, but worth every dollar. You can plan your trip from Gas to gas and even call ahead to make sure. It literally has a mile by mile description of the trip and all the side trips you can take. We took four and a half months on our second trip. On the two and a half month first trip, we had to bypass too many things. If you take the AlCan in June, many more places will be open. Make your reservations at Denali as soon as they open reservations. We did not find the trip that expensive. In Canada in the AlCan, camping was $12 or $20 per night and we stayed in National and a State Parks in Alaska, for $25 or less. Gas is expensive, especially thru Canada. If you don’t dry camp, camp sites can be expensive and difficult to get, especially on the weekend. In Alaska you just have to plan to be somewhere on Thursday in a National Forest or Park first come first served site and keep the camp site thru Sunday.
Old 12-12-2019, 12:30 AM   #48

Model: Windsport 35C
State: California
THOR #5225
My wife and I went on a trip to Alaska this year leaving San Diego on May 22 and returning on July 28. We utilized the services of Alaskan Discovery RV Tours who have been leading RV caravans for the past 18 years. The tour cost has risen slightly over the past couple of years and is currently $9697 for the tours scheduled for 2020. The tour price includes all RV parks, various guided tours, and a several group dinners. Gas and food are not included.

The tours are 36 days long, starting in Hazelton, British Columbia and ending in Homer, Alaska. You travel in a caravan with a number of other like-minded RVers from all over the United States and Canada. Getting to the starting point in Hazelton BC, the guided tour itself, and then the trip back to your home base are three separate trips, each an adventure of its own. The roads in a lot of areas are in marginal condition and with the relatively short timeframe in which to repair them you'll run into a lot of road construction/repair. A RV mechanic travels with the group and can handle most any repair issue that might arise. The routes are well planned and organized and allow you to see the most attractions at a comfortable pace. You can get additional information at (Alaskan Discovery RV Tours: RV caravan tours to Alaska and the Yukon. Pets are welcome!).

Other than getting a busted windshield from a rock tossed by a passing truck, I only had one other problem I would warn you about. As stated earlier, road conditions are marginal in many areas and your rig and toad will always be covered with large amount of dirt and road grime, but there are many areas along the route at which you can wash your rigs if so inclined. On day 20 of the tour, you leave Dawson City, Yukon Territory for Tok, Alaska and travel there via the "Top of the World Highway". The condition of this road is horrendous to say the least. A major portion of the road surface consists of large gravel that generates a tremendous amount of dust as you travel. If your rig is not properly weatherproofed, this dust will find its way into every nook and cranny and is a real pain to clean up. There are several other stretches of road during and after the trip that also generate a considerable amount of dust that can be sucked into your rig. You want to ensure all seams are sealed on any of your external storage compartments and bring along enough weather proofing materials to seal any windows or doors you may have.

The trip was literally a once in a lifetime adventure and I learned a lot about myself and my rig. But due to the cost (over $20K for the trip, gas, food and entertainment) it's not one I'd be able to take again anytime soon.
Old 12-12-2019, 12:47 AM   #49

Model: ACE 29.0
State: Colorado
THOR #2581
Really!!!

Every time I see a post that someone is considering making this trip and read the reply’s I’m amazed. This time was no exception and in fact wins the prize.
Let’s start with nothing to see for hundreds of miles. You’ve got to be kidding me! OPEN YOUR EYES! It’s some of the most fantastic country I’ve ever driven through with every kind of animal you can imagine. You may go for a hundred miles or even two hundred with nothing but every bend in the road can hold a moose, bear, bison etc etc or just a beautiful view. Streams, rivers, lakes, mountains! I seriously doubt some of these people even made this trip! The little towns are fantastic! Whitehorse was my favorite and take a trip on the Yukon river while your there.
Gas... i’ve made two trips up and back going all the way to Homer. After believing much of what I read on here, I never let the tank get below 1/2 on my way up but quickly realized there’s only a couple stretches where there is any distance between fuel stops and while I don’t recall how far it was I had ample fuel with a quarter of a tank pulling a 24’ travel trailer. Leading you to believe otherwise is just wrong.
Roads... my first trip up was right after some major flooding and many of the roads had washed out to the point I debated not going. After speaking with a friend of mine from Canada who said the Canadians are amazing at fixing the roads I decided to push forward with the trip and I was so glad that I did. Yes, we went through some rough patches and over some pretty questionable bridges but the road was open and for the most part we had great highways for the entire trip. On our trip back 3 weeks later most everything had been fixed although we did go through some stretches of gravel. No big deal though.
Two trips and not a single chip in a windshield.
The people are just super all the way up and in Alaska.
Only two pieces of advice... when you see signs that say frost heaves... pay attention! Even when there are no signs pay attention. First one you hit doing 60 you’ll understand.
Second thing... avoid staying in rest areas and trust no one in a rest area. They are just not the safest.
If you go and do it with your eyes open you will have the trip of a lifetime. For many it’s a one time adventure and if it’s not I would have to wonder why on earth you went in the first place. Safe travels
Old 12-12-2019, 04:27 AM   #50

State: British Columbia
THOR #2763
We drove our 24’ Chateau Sprinter up from home (Victoria BC) to Alaska last June. It was the second time we made the trip - first one was 15 years ago in a 32’ Class A. The scenery is wonderful but yes, it is a long, long, long drive. We spent about 9 weeks on the trip, going up through the Peace River area, then west to Whitehorse, on to Tok and then Anchorage and the peninsula, then north by Denali to Fairbanks and circling back to Tok and returning to BC the same route. We did NOT drive the infamous Top of the World Highway - there are plenty of paved, good condition roads to drive on and I wasn’t feeling the love for taking a stressful side trip! The roads were fine - except for the stretch between Whitehorse and Tok. There’s an area there that is built on tundra that freezes, thaws, freezes...this is where you will really see frost heave in the pavement! Just drive slow and sensible and you’ll be fine.

We did upgrade our BCAA membership for long tows (just in case!). Total damage to motorhome: one chip in the windshield. Trip highlights for us: Liaird Hot Springs Provincial Park (and campground), Toad River campground with its moose and beavers, Whitehorse and the fabulous paved bike and walking path along the river, the moonscape of bizarre land formations on the highway to Skagway, a boat tour to get up close to a glacier at Valdez and the amazing miles of municipally-owned oceanfront campgrounds in the very RV-friendly town of Seward.

That being said, this trip is not for everyone. You need to have time and patience, and be okay with doing a lot of driving. We did overnight at rest stops once or twice and had no problems, but stayed mostly at private or state campgrounds. In some places, electricity is only provided by a generator on site at the campground - sometimes for limited hours - and many state campgrounds do not have any hookups so go prepared to boondock as required. The people were all friendly and generous (one campground host brought us two fillets of fresh salmon from her catch that morning!), and the scenery in the south coastal area is breathtaking!
Old 12-12-2019, 10:02 AM   #51

Model: ARIA 3901
State: New Jersey
THOR #5141
A few of the critters along the way.

Katmai National Park by Craig Schriever, on Flickr

Moose by Craig Schriever, on Flickr

Denali National Park by Craig Schriever, on Flickr

Sea Otter by Craig Schriever, on Flickr

Mountain Goats by Craig Schriever, on Flickr
Old 12-12-2019, 12:27 PM   #52

Model: Thor Tuscany 36 MQ
State: Indiana
THOR #6280
Air Cavalry

Hey isn't somebody in here Air Cav? Alaska seems a huge painful drive into oblivion to see "moments of great sights". Air Cav can pick up your RV and put it down just where you want it "young Captain". Houah!
Traveling with Shih Tzu's Baily, Bella and Maltese Buster. Towing, Golf Cart, Harley or Polaris RZR. 3 of our darling Shih Tzu's passed away recently and I just can't take them off of here. RIP Baxter, Baili & sweet sweet Bella. Buster is our little rock.
DogLovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 01:57 PM   #53

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
Thumbs up

...this is why you go : )
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ALASKA Palazzo 2017 the Turners.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	21797  
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 03:32 PM   #54

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
I'll just Photoshop my Super C in that picture and stay home.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 03:43 PM   #55

Model: Thor Tuscany 36 MQ
State: Indiana
THOR #6280
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
I'll just Photoshop my Super C in that picture and stay home.
lol, too funny.
Traveling with Shih Tzu's Baily, Bella and Maltese Buster. Towing, Golf Cart, Harley or Polaris RZR. 3 of our darling Shih Tzu's passed away recently and I just can't take them off of here. RIP Baxter, Baili & sweet sweet Bella. Buster is our little rock.
DogLovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 10:43 PM   #56

Model: Palazzo 33.2
State: Georgia
THOR #8078
We've been to the Canadian Rockies and it was great. Good roads, good campsites, great scenery. Not sure AK worth the miles.
Old 12-14-2019, 01:03 AM   #57

Model: Miramar
State: South Carolina
THOR #2557
Miramar 2014

My wife and I just got back from a 4 month trip to Alaska from SC. We drove the Alaska Hwy all the way in a 36 ft class A Gas. Roads were great only 40 miles max that were bad. We went in July and saw all the wonders Alaska offers. Go for it. You won’t wasn’t regret it.
Old 12-15-2019, 06:45 PM   #58

State: Utah
THOR #3257
Quote:
My wife and I are thinking about a trip to Alaska probably 2 years from now. Before I start any planning it seems a good way to start by asking if anyone who has done the trip has any suggestions. We'll be starting in Florida, probably as far away as we could be, but it's where we live so ....

Currently have a 2019 Windsport 33x, and I (not so much my wife) think we should try to trade for a similar diesel, perhaps Palazzo, before trying such a trip.

We have been road-tripping for many years now, longest being a 3 month 12K miles trip last year with a Lance 24ft trailer. Now we want to experience the ultimate trip, hence my asking for any advice. Plenty of time to decide things, would appreciate any input. Happy rv-ing!
We drove the ALCAN highway this June and were gone for a month. Left from Utah. We have a Thor Chateau 33' diesel. We did not find diesel prices any higher than in the U.S. once you did the conversion from Canadian. We were in Canada more than Alaska. The only place we found you probably should have an RV reservation is Laird Hot Springs, Whitehorse, and Denali. The rest of the places, although we had reservations all along the way, were not necessary. Highway overall was very good. From Haines Junction to Tok there is a long section that has quite a few heaves from frost but they are marked. The Glen Allen Highway was the worst from Palmer back to Tok. Lots of construction where you had to wait for a pilot vehicle and the road torn up horribly. And contrary to popular belief you do not see moose constantly. We saw more bear than moose along the highway. Around Laird Hot Springs there are lots of bison and goats along the road.

We traveled from Utah up through Canada to Dawson Creek, then to Tok and on to Denali, then back to Tok. Then went from Tok to Haines. We stayed in Haines 3 days. From Haines we took the ferry (they charged about 1200.00 for our motorhome) and got off in Prince Rupert. That is the true inside passage and was a highlight of the trip. We had a stateroom as you spend the night you get on board (6pm) the next day and night on the ferry and then it arrived the next day at 1pm. Lots of whales, eagles and towns to see along the way. Petersburg was beautiful. They don't really stop long enough to get off. The food was great. I think our sleeping quarters for three with the sitting area was 300.00. Went through Jasper National Park on the way back to Utah and that place is fantastic.

You spend a lot of time just seeing a ribbon of highway with millions of trees on either side. I think they could start logging up there and go for the next 200 years and it wouldn't make a dent in the forest. We had days with some rain. In Fairbanks we took the paddle wheel boat tour and that was another highlight of our trip that we had not planned but found ourselves with an extra day in Fairbanks.

Laird Hot Springs was a wonderful stop and then after that on the way to Whitehorse we stopped at Watson Lake which is a town. It was probably the best town we stopped in. Most of the places you stop do not cater to tourists travelling on the ALCAN which I found surprising. Dawson Creek only had one area that had historical information. Whitehorse had lots to see and do as well as Haines. Denali was another highlight. You have to take a tour of the park on one of their buses as they do not allow vehicles past a certain point. We took the one to Wonder Lake which was a bit of a disappointment.
If we did it again we would not take it all the way to Wonder Lake. Just to the stop before that location. We left Denali very early in the morning (5am) and were rewarded with a complete view of Denali from top to bottom along with bear and moose sightings as we drove the Park Highway on our way to Palmer and the Glen Allen Highway.

We did not find it a difficult drive at all, other than the Glen Allen Highway, but I would recommend not doing more than 300-350 miles max in a day. There were several days we did 400 - 470 miles and decided that was too much driving for one day. Overall up and back we travelled 5800 miles. Let me know if you have any specific questions I might be able to answer. My email is ellenov49@gmail.com
Old 12-16-2019, 07:57 PM   #59

Model: Axis 24.1
THOR #11800
I agree
Old 12-22-2019, 09:43 PM   #60

Brand: Keystone
Model: Cougar 30 RLS 5th wheel
State: Colorado
THOR #2204
Another option for the OP is to book a Alaska Cruise, fly to Seattle