Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-20-2016, 01:48 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Josams in Orlando is one of the best for alignments. Not cheap, but worth every penny!

Old 08-30-2016, 05:27 PM   #22

Model: Challenger 37KT
State: California
THOR #3681
The ford manual does state 1 year warranty on factory alignment, but also it also states warranty void on modifications.

1. The fact that when Thor gets the unit they have someone cut and stretch the frame (as JamieGeek points out) voids Fords alignment warranty. Stretching doesn't change it, but weight changes with the extra steel does.

2. After Thor adds the house, the weight shifts again.

3. You load it up - small but weight shift again.

All this change in weight over the suspension pushes down and changes camber / toe. It may change it only slightly. But When Ford aligns the bare F53, they set it within a range (tolerance). They are not all set exactly the same. So, after all the weight change, if you were in the middle zone of the range, you may end up still aligned within tolerance. But if you were on the edge of one of the tolerances, then you may now be out of alignment, as many people have found out.

I spoke to Thor and was told, they do not align the the class A units due to many variables of what the owner may do in terms of weight. The Thor rep at warranty services told me they highly recommend you to get an alignment. It's just another maintenance cost.

I took it to a local tire shop whom did the alignment for $150, while the RV shop wanted $300. Before I came in, he told me to make sure I weighted the RV as I normally would drive it, including if I normally filled fresh water or not.
Old 08-30-2016, 10:18 PM   #23

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
Quote:
Originally Posted by gauthig View Post
... So, after all the weight change, if you were in the middle zone of the range, you may end up still aligned within tolerance. But if you were on the edge of one of the tolerances, then you may now be out of alignment, as many people have found out.

I spoke to Thor and was told, they do not align the the class A units due to many variables of what the owner may do in terms of weight...

Well said, this explains why some seem fine without alignment, and some are terrible. Also why it is important to load the coach, including fuel and water, like you would to travel.

That RV shop probably takes your coach to the same place you did, and charges you $150 to take it and pick it up. Plus, they will likely add in the annoying "shop fee" for the service!
Old 09-05-2016, 11:33 PM   #24

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Texas
THOR #4119
alignment

Nickels,

We had our 2015 Axis aligned in south San Antonio and Thor paid the $145. The alignment did not fix the steering drift. Safe-T-Plus helped stabilize the steering drift to an acceptable level. We went through CW for the Safe-T-Plus and its installation. All that said; we have a better ride now based on these changes.

Machlin
Old 09-06-2016, 03:01 AM   #25
Kev

Model: Windsport
THOR #3918
Alignment

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickels View Post
I have been going around and around as this discussion about the alignment on the Ford chasis. Ford says they will not pay for the alignment when the " house" is put on the chasis as it was stated in the Vegas manual..Only one Ford Dealer in Florida does alignment on R V and that is in Tampa, Gator Ford, Help. Who pays for this alignment, Thor ?.. anyone got ideas as to does alignment in Fl and what pays for it ? .
Tampa Spring does alignment on large trucks and RVs.
Kev