Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-06-2017, 03:01 AM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
Any T-Mobile Users

Hi everyone. I've been thinking about getting T-Mobile. Their senior plan, over 55, is $60 for two phone with unlimited everything.

Data is always an issue for me when on the road. The wife is always on her phone and kills are data fast.

My biggest concern is getting service while on the road. The T-Mobile rep said service in city areas is always good but he didnt sound to positive for rural areas.

We are starting to plan some cross country trips. I would like cell service for emergency purposes.

So if you have T-Mobile please let me know the good and bad about the service.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Jerry

2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 10:54 AM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
Hi everyone. I've been thinking about getting T-Mobile. Their senior plan, over 55, is $60 for two phone with unlimited everything.

Data is always an issue for me when on the road. The wife is always on her phone and kills are data fast.

My biggest concern is getting service while on the road. The T-Mobile rep said service in city areas is always good but he didnt sound to positive for rural areas.

We are starting to plan some cross country trips. I would like cell service for emergency purposes.

So if you have T-Mobile please let me know the good and bad about the service.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Jerry
My youngest son has T-Mobile and lives in the Tampa area. As long as he is in an urban area it works great. as soon as you move more than a few miles away from an interstate you can hang it up. He's on vacation right now it northern California; he tried to send us a picture, it took 2 days before he had a good enough connection for it to go.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 11:09 AM   #3

State: Alaska
THOR #7889
We had t mobile just changed to verizon because of lost reception during the hurricane
Old 10-06-2017, 12:02 PM   #4

Model: 2019 Vegas 25.6
State: Oklahoma
THOR #3467
We've had great service with T-Mobile through the middle section of the United States Red River New Mexico Taos, Santa Fe all down I-40 between Oklahoma City and New Mexico it's no problem at all. I think the their senior deal is a great deal and that includes all taxes for one price we've also been to most of Arkansas and had no problems at all and your not under a contract buy a cheap smart phone and try it I think you'll like it for the money, we listen to XM radio all away from Oklahoma City to Santa Fe on their service with no interruptions. I think all cell phone carriers have their bad spots in the United States but overall I think T-Mobile's great.
Old 10-06-2017, 12:02 PM   #5

Model: 2015 ACE 30.2
State: Florida
THOR #1287
Cell Service

I have T Mobile and have traveled almost all the way across country several times in the last few years. Southern routes, central routes, northern routes we have done them with the grandkids. Also a trip up the eastern seaboard.
T Mobile service area has improved significantly in this time. Historically Verizon owned the rural West (mountain states included), but this has changed, although there are still some Verizon only spots. In the southern US T Mobile has been stronger. Our last trip from Florida to Yellowstone, Idaho, Utah and back thru the midwest we had good service from T Mobile except in Yellowstone itself, which was spotty. We travel with our cell phones, but also two wifi hotspots--a TMobile one and a Verizon one. Typically if we can't get TMobile we can get Verizon, and vice versa. We have found no one provider is available everywhere we have been. The hotspots allow us to use our tablets, computers, and phones in Verizon and TMobile areas. You might want to look into a Verizon and AT&T hotspot for your travels, as AT&T's network is strong in urban and rural areas too.
However, when we travel with our grands (yes, they are teens) we take away their electronics. They are in withdrawal for the first two days, but after that they are OK with old tech stuff like reading books printed on paper. We require them to keep a travel journal--making entries each day. We have been doing this with our grands for 8 years now, and they enjoy reviewing their earlier journals and reading what was important to them at the time.This year we will take them camping in Alaska.
Have fun making memories, and hope this helped.
Old 10-06-2017, 12:13 PM   #6

Model: 2019 Vegas 25.6
State: Oklahoma
THOR #3467
We thought about a hotspot with a different carrier but so far we've had no problem with tethering to our iPads as were traveling, wife enjoys playing her games on the road on her iPad.
Old 10-06-2017, 12:51 PM   #7

Model: outlaw 37ls
State: Europe
THOR #6831
t- mobile

had t-mobile for 10 years great overseas, not bad in local metro area's, but they going through freq, changes and even in a big city you can lose signal for hours, google "loss of signal with t-mobile" they best for traveling in remote area's is verizon, had them for 20+ years, i have driven the USA a lot, and to have coverage all the time you will need 2 carriers verizon and someone else. i got att this month, works great in the city, but waiting for a new phone to arrive that has all the att freq, the phone companies now have so many freq,you need to make sure your phone has the ones you need for your carrier and other carrier's freq for when you are roaming.

the new att was great until i left the city and had 70 miles of no coverage due phone being short a freq,

the expensive smart phones will have all the frequencies but others many not including the phone at the phone store. you can check on "gsmarena.com for phone specs. have not installed a signal booster, but it will not make up for 70miles of no tower.
Old 10-06-2017, 04:00 PM   #8

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
THOR #3156
Thanks everyone. Please keep it coming. Sure looks like this topic is debatable
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 04:12 PM   #9

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
Our son had it for a very time, every time it rang he'd have to go outside to use it & couldn't use it once out of the metropolitan area.
As of right now everyone in our families use Verizon & though pricey has worked all across the country. You can save money, but if it doesn't work you don't save anything.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 04:45 PM   #10

Model: Axis 25.3
THOR #2526
We have T-Mobile for a few years now. Voice coverage is good as others in most areas. Data can be a problem away from the major interstates. Had AT&T and hated the price + fee after fee billing crap. We are going to get the 55+ plan tomorrow.
Baddad53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 07:21 PM   #11

Model: Hurricane 27K
THOR #2544
Two years ago I bought a T-Mobile hot spot for traveling and I can only remember a couple times we were without service on T-Mobile. I pay $35 a month for a 6GB plan and unused data rolls over to a cap of 20GB, plus my monthly 6gb. I keep it on all the time when we travel because my wife is on Facebook much of the time. T-Mobile also has a benefit called binge on where they do not charge you data when using Netflix. There has been a few times that T-Mobile would not handle the bandwidth to run Netflix. All things considered, it is well worth the $35 per month.
brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 10:28 PM   #12

Model: Gemini 23TR
THOR #6701
My son had T-Mobile in Missouri and I had ATT.When he would visit our home, out in the middle of ranch country far from anything he could get phone calls but I would have to go out of the house and about 200 yards toward the road to get reception. With the continuation of improvements in cellular service I would give it a shot. With no contract what is there to lose. ( Did I read somewhere there is no contract?)