Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 01-27-2018, 11:27 PM   #201

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
I've got to say that I agree. If RVing isn't any fun: why subject yourself to it?

Everybody deserves the chance to be happy. Don't waste time on an endeavor that just isn't working...

AMEN! I’ve periodically stopped visiting the forum because there’s just SO much complaining about little stuff (like sawdust and crooked screws). It makes me sad that in total this is very discouraging to potential buyers - especially first timers.

I can speak only from my own experience but despite lots of little issues I’m having a ball and thoroughly enjoying my RV.

Old 01-28-2018, 02:17 AM   #202

State: Florida
THOR #1249
I usually pipe up when I have a problem or an improvement and I guess it sometimes seems like a complaint and could be. But I do it mostly to bring an issue to other's attention for an item or an area to check before it goes bad at the worse of times. I know I have benefitted by others mentioning what issues they had and fixed.
Anyway, I am a happy camper and wish everyone a bunch of happy trails in 2018.
Old 01-28-2018, 04:45 PM   #203

Brand: Still Looking
State: Tennessee
THOR #7227
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcr1010 View Post
I usually pipe up when I have a problem or an improvement and I guess it sometimes seems like a complaint and could be. But I do it mostly to bring an issue to other's attention for an item or an area to check before it goes bad at the worse of times. I know I have benefitted by others mentioning what issues they had and fixed.

Anyway, I am a happy camper and wish everyone a bunch of happy trails in 2018.

We all have our times when we want to vent. But I get confused why someone would jump on this board and complain their motorhome has been in the shop for six months. No one here can help with that and I would go to the dealership and demand it be return and find someone else to fix it. People here want to help fix problems but “crapped out” and “stranded” give people no where to even begin to understand the problem. I understand frustration but channeling that frustration can often produce positive results rather than a rant that only momentarily makes us feel better. I would just like to see the board be a better place to shop.
Old 01-28-2018, 06:06 PM   #204
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 01:38 AM   #205

State: Missouri
THOR #10032
Since someone ask what happened to my slide here goes.......
After my second overnight I got back home and started to set it up, did a good job of making it sure it was nice and level. Went to put the slide out, I was looking at the control panel and making sure it kept power going like they say you should, next thing I know I here a loud crack, I stop and turn around and see the section under the stove is bowed inward about 6 inches and what I heard crack was the front of the cabinets being torn up. I put the slide back in and releveled it and tried again. This time the slide went out but then I heard a loud pop. Sounded like it came from under the slide. Went to put it back in and no power. I used the manual override method and managed to get it back in. I tried to see if I could get it back out and nothing.
I'm normally a fix it yourself kind of guy. Work on my own Harley, jeep, razor, love getting on the forums and figuring things out.
I knew that this was something I shouldn't mess with. Camping world did look at it then parked it. They said it looked like the slide was built to tight for the opening and that the slide was hanging up and amping out. With only having taken it out for 2 nights and having a new coach I figure I better not do to much more .
Old 01-30-2018, 05:00 PM   #206

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Illinois
THOR #8503
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamJanTan View Post
We all have our times when we want to vent. But I get confused why someone would jump on this board and complain their motorhome has been in the shop for six months. No one here can help with that and I would go to the dealership and demand it be return and find someone else to fix it. People here want to help fix problems but “crapped out” and “stranded” give people no where to even begin to understand the problem. I understand frustration but channeling that frustration can often produce positive results rather than a rant that only momentarily makes us feel better. I would just like to see the board be a better place to shop.
JamJanTan, I understand what you are saying, but part of the problem is we meekly stand by and allow the problem to not be dealt with. The problem is not the owner who complains - it's the dealers and manufacturers who aren't responsive to these issues. When someone spends this kind of money for something and can't get quality customer service it never gets addressed if our answer is to pick it up and take it somewhere else and then figure out yourself how to get the warranty satisfied or just fix it yourself. That is a self-perpetuating answer to an ongoing problem. Just ignore it and it will go away. No, it will only go away when enough owners refuse to accept it - just ask the U.S. auto manufacturers what forced them to finally fix their quality issues. I don't just complain on the boards, I also talk with the owner of my dealership and with Thor. I refuse to simply move the problem elsewhere and let someone else fix it. I didn't pay the local RV repair shop big bucks for this unit and I refuse to spend more of my own money to fix things that Thor and my dealer are obligated to repair. That's just passing the buck and nothing ever gets better. I also praise them when they do something good. I think it is important, however, to let other owners and potential owners be made aware of what to watch for and possible ways to address it. If I don't want to read a post someone puts here, for whatever their reason is, I click past it and go on to another - sort of like I do with my TV remote - and like everyone is able to do with this one.
FMCA #F479085
Good Sam #848205704
wayneroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 05:58 PM   #207

THOR #7227
I agree with what you are saying but still contend that jumping on the board and yelling that this is bad it that is not right does little to help the situation. Other than allowing someone to vent. As for US auto makers they responded with better product when everyone began buying imports not because people lamented about the quality IMHO. However, point noted. We all agree there is a quality issue. I also agree the dealer and manufacturers are the solution but don’t see where complaining on the board will make it better.
Old 01-30-2018, 06:21 PM   #208

THOR #8503
Quote:
I agree with what you are saying but still contend that jumping on the board and yelling that this is bad it that is not right does little to help the situation. Other than allowing someone to vent. As for US auto makers they responded with better product when everyone began buying imports not because people lamented about the quality IMHO. However, point noted. We all agree there is a quality issue. I also agree the dealer and manufacturers are the solution but don’t see where complaining on the board will make it better.
What do you think will make it better? The introduction of non-domestic RVs to fill the over demand for RVs with a better product?
FMCA #F479085
Good Sam #848205704
Old 01-30-2018, 06:36 PM   #209

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayneroe View Post
.....cut..... I think it is important, however, to let other owners and potential owners be made aware of what to watch for and possible ways to address it. ....cut.....
I for one appreciate the negative reports as much or more than the positive ones, so for that I'm thankful to all who report honestly both the good and bad.

And it does make a difference. As an example, pictures of a slide that had few and extremely poor welds told a story that is difficult for me to ignore. How a person with no welding skills got access to a welding machine is difficult to imagine unless QA isn't a significant part of the manufacturing process. And since these things aren't visible to inspection, how do you know what you're getting? You don't, which is why negative reports (even rants) should be considered.

One argument that is often made is that all manufacturers are the same, so you have to take your chances and hope you don't get a lemon, but that argument doesn't work for me.
Old 01-30-2018, 07:04 PM   #210

THOR #2121
Quote:
What do you think will make it better? The introduction of non-domestic RVs to fill the over demand for RVs with a better product?
Yes, but the cost will be much higher and buyers may not be willing to pay for a better product.

I have seen detailed pictures and specs of German chassis and they don't compare to US products in engineering or the way they are assembled. And I'd expect that motorhomes manufactured in England, Japan or Australia are built to a much higher standard as well.
Old 01-30-2018, 07:27 PM   #211

THOR #6826
I too appreciate the bad as well as the good reports. To a point. Just railing against Thor or CW does nobody any good and there are at least a few folks here whose actual mission is to punish Thor by convincing people that they are doomed to misery if they buy. Thor makes low to mid range products and you get what you pay for (more or less). It’s like buying a $100 bicycle from Walmart and then being mad because it’s not a Cannondale. And yes I know that Cannondale bikes can have problems as well. If you want to try to punish Thor by not buying an RV that’s fine with me but I am very happy with mine and consider it a fine value - warts and all.
Old 01-30-2018, 07:32 PM   #212

THOR #7227
Quote:

As I stated before. Take our business elsewhere. We vote with our economic dollars. Instead of letting my RV sit for months with no results. I don’t get on the board and complain how bad the dealership is “YELP” or Google Reviews” are a better forum for that. I get my RV and go somewhere else. I agree with you, as long as we let the dealerships abuse us they will. So don’t sit and lament take action. I live about 40 minutes from the dealership where I bought my RV. I drive about two hours to get to a dealership I feel valued my business when I need work done warranty or otherwise. It’s worth it to me because I know the dealership where I bought it does not have my best interest at heart. When there is no one sitting outside waiting to get work done they will adapt or go out of business. We vote by how and where we spend our dollars.
Old 01-30-2018, 07:47 PM   #213
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I've got to say that I agree.
It's better to find a solution to a problem; than it is to stand around complaining about it.
Old 01-30-2018, 08:01 PM   #214

THOR #6826
Actually I DO agree. I don’t expect Thor to change their market strategy but dealers like CW could do a lot better just by hiring (well and training) more service staff.
Old 01-30-2018, 08:22 PM   #215

THOR #8503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
I've got to say that I agree.
It's better to find a solution to a problem; than it is to stand around complaining about it.
I agree that we need to find solutions, and I do that. I still think there is value to sharing that info with others and with the dealers/manufacturers. Also, I have never tried to discourage anyone from buying a Thor. To the contrary, I am considering upgrading to another Thor model. That doesn't keep me from wanting to see customer service and quality improve at all levels for all models. An example would be if the radio in my car quit working (as the Axxera in my RV did), I would immediately take it to my dealer to get it repaired/replaced. I wouldn't even consider going to Best Buy or someplace else to buy another one and have them replace it or do it myself and then go through the hassle of trying to get reimbursed by the manufacturer. Why should I do that with my RV? That is not a solution - that is a "I give up, this is not winnable" surrender. Maybe I am too stubborn, but my military training did not prepare me well for surrender.

Having said that, I will cease and desist from posting more on this issue. It has been beaten to death here and everyone is going to hold on to their opinion. I do enjoy my Thor RV and RVing.
FMCA #F479085
Good Sam #848205704
Old 01-30-2018, 08:22 PM   #216

THOR #7227
There is also a misunderstanding about what a rant is. Explaining a problem and how you find a solution is a very much a worthwhile post while droning on about how bad Camping World is treating you no so much worthwhile. And believe me I pass on posting more than I comment
Old 01-30-2018, 08:48 PM   #217
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
And believe me I pass on posting more than I comment
I've never suffered from that affliction...
I used to have to remind "Sonny-Boy" to "find ways to succeed; not excuses for failing."
Now that he's 30: he's starting to see things my way.
Old 01-30-2018, 08:56 PM   #218

THOR #2121
Didn't both companies report near-record profits? Or was it all-time profits?

Somehow I don't expect their CEOs losing sleep over our opinions on quality or anything else.

There are very few things we can really do; like buy used, get out of RVing, or build your own if you think you can do better. Regardless, not enough people will stop buying to make a difference -- not because of quality anyway. Next time we have a recession and many companies find themselves with excess capacity, the cycle will correct to some degree. And then start over again.
Old 01-30-2018, 11:20 PM   #219
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Why shouldn't they make money? If they lost everything: there'd be a lot of folks out of work, and we'd be talking about something completely different...

Like Bass Fishing, or Trap-Shooting!
Old 02-04-2018, 03:56 PM   #220

Model: A.C.E 29.3
State: Ohio
THOR #1620
Quote:
Originally Posted by thor293 View Post
LOL, I think that is what the majority of us do. Most stuff is simple and not worth the headache. I am the same as you Nursx2, our dealer is 2-1/2 hours away and they didn't do a good job delivering the coach so if I don't have to I prefer not to let them work on it.

We are really happy with ours, I don't expect that to change.
Just an update, still loving our 29.3, no issues and just enjoying!
Camping World Indianapolis, worst dealer EVER experienced
thor293 is offline   Reply With Quote