Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-15-2015, 04:39 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Oregon
THOR #1436
Is anyone happy?

Hi, we are considering a new Thor ACE 27.1 but have been reading a lot of negative reviews. I realize it is entry level but a little worried. We love the floor plan and the amenities but not sure. We are not new to MHs. We would be selling our 12 Winnabego View, which we know is top of the line Sprinter and be sacrificing quality and mpg for comfort and space. Can we get any input, good or bad. Are we crazy even though we need more room?

Old 01-15-2015, 06:07 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
You always have to keep in mind the "internet factor": Happy owners don't come on the internet to post: "Hey I'm happy!" they are out using their camper. On the other hand, if you have one or more problems you start googling and find yourself here (or over on irv2). (e.g. the amount of people posting issues is skewed in the forums).
Having said that, though, you really need to do a very thorough PDI before taking delivery of any camper of any type (they all have their quality issues).

We have been very happy with our Axis. There have been a few minor issues that the dealer has taken care of (taking it back this weekend for the final few things before the 1 year warranty runs out--have to milk it LOL).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 06:33 PM   #3

Model: Four Winds 31W
State: California
THOR #1414
We purchased a Four Winds 31W in June... looked at the ACE but were really into the extra bed on the class C for our kids. I think the four winds is also an entry level rig.

That being said... we are very happy with it. We've already put 5,000 miles on it and spend about 4 weeks in it (one three week trip through Oregon and some weekends). There have been some problems but the dealer has been responsive and taken care of them (currently replacing a tv... fixed some cosmetic issues and fridge problems).

And Thor has been responsive too... I like there after hours support where I can call someone if I get stuck .. and they called me to solve a cabinet hardware problem.
Old 01-15-2015, 06:36 PM   #4

Model: Tiffin Open Road 32SA
State: Colorado
THOR #1147
We're happy with our Axis. It's had a few issues, but all minor and easily corrected. As Jamie said, more folks complain than write positive reviews. It's called a "negative response bias".

Also, Thor sells more units than anyone else so it stands to reason that they'd have more complaints than everyone else, even if their overall quality is identical.

Don't get me wrong, I certainly think Thor could improve. But if they have the coach you want do your research, pre-plan the pre-delivery inspection, do a thorough test-drive, and DO NOT SIGN A CONTRACT until you are completely satisfied with the unit.

Then, enjoy!

Randy
Old 01-15-2015, 07:21 PM   #5

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
I'm in a Thor class C. Not an Ace, but i assume come off the same line.... or at least a sister line....

I agree with the others. We're happy with ours too.

I also feel that they 'could' do a much better job in everything from design through to QC, but it is what it is. I've had some warranty work done too, and have been satisfied, more or less with both the dealer and Thor.

From what I've read, Thor isn't really any different than winnebago in these terms.
There is always the chance for a lemon in any brand.....
....and that could be Thor's issues or it could be bad components such as TV's, fridges, etc....
I think you have to
keep a positive attitude
be forgiving and have an open mind
& be willing to fix little things yourself....or else be patient with the dealer. I suspect a lot of negative customers come from the slow and uncaring responses from dealers. I figure that if I had to run back to the dealer for every little loose screw, wait for the appointments, and then wait for parts to arrive, and then wait for re-work when the screw something else up.... I'd likely be pretty unhappy too.

and lastly, i agree with advice to do a very thorough PDI
I suggest:
scheduling it in the morning and early in the week. (I did mine Saturday PM. It took longer than the dealership was open, so they were limited in what they could do, and weekend so they couldn't call factory for support)
Take all day with it if you need to.
Test everything.
run every system
extend every awning
run every power source (ie LP and shore power both for the water heater)
open every drawer, and put load in it to make sure it stays on track.
fill every tank, and drain them.
run the pump & run the water hooked up.
test every outlet
check every light
check the battery - assume it's been sitting on the lot and has been discharged 100% many times. If you can, ask the dealer to not plug the coach in and let the battery sit uncharged and unused the day before, so you can test it "cold"
do a thorough test drive
operate everything
and when you're all done, see if they'll let you stay your first night in it on their lot. You're likely to find other things once you start using it and living in it.
If you can't do that, find a CG or park close by that first night, so that you can take it back the next day if you find anything else..... and have them agree to taking it in for repair the next day as if you were still doing the PDI.
Old 01-15-2015, 08:35 PM   #6

Model: ace 30.2
State: New Jersey
THOR #1069
x2 with everyone else. we have an ace 30.2 minor problems only. Two shades don't stay up, scratch on plastic front grill, so they are replacing them as I type this. the only problem I have so far is one of the brake calipers is leaking a small amount of brake fluid. After the RV dealer fixes the other items I will just bring it over to the ford truck dealership near our home. We both love it.
Old 01-15-2015, 09:18 PM   #7

Model: Four Winds 31W
THOR #1414
One thing we're getting used to is the time it takes for a repair. With a first year RV, the dealer has to diagnose the problem, get authorization from Thor, order the part, and then install. Seems like the three time it's been in since we purchased, each time it takes 4-6 weeks to get finished. The dealer is great though about letting us come get it for a weekend trip in the middle of a repair..

It's been something to get used to for us.. but I don't think that's a Thor specific issue...
Old 01-15-2015, 10:36 PM   #8

THOR #1436
Thanks for all the input. Other issue we forgot to mention is driving characteristics of the ACE. We intend on going on at least one long trip, cross county this spring, than probably shorter trips after that. Read some concerns about "wandering" steering issues. What has your expierences been.
Again, thanks.
Old 01-16-2015, 02:18 AM   #9

Model: Citation 29TB
State: Texas
THOR #1019
I traded my 2012 View for a 2015 Thor Citation. Yes, I had some issues. This is my fifth motorhome. Three Winnebagos, a Tiffin and now a Thor. I've had issues with everyone of them. My Thor issues have been fixed and I like the Citation floor plan. I'm not sorry I bought it.
Old 01-17-2015, 12:42 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
THOR #531
Class Cs are built in a different "plant" than either the Class As. And the Axis coaches are built in a 3rd plant.

They are all in the same Elkhart, In area. In fact, the Class A plant (not the Axis plant) shares the same campus as the Class C plant but the entrance is on a different street, hence a different address.

The Axis plant is a couple of miles away from the other plants.
Old 01-17-2015, 12:43 PM   #11

Model: ACE
THOR #698
We got our 2014 ACE used last March with 2500 miles. It now has 7600 miles and have not had any problems with the coach. We like the floor plan and the inside and outside storage. Our previous RV was a 21c Chateau with no slide and a bed that you had to crawl into. Just too small.
After we got it home and looking everywhere, we found little notes saying "don't buy this ACE is a lemon". I think the previous owners wanted the comfort and frills of a 200k motorhome and bought an entry level one.
I had it weighed and front end aligned. There was some toe out which can cause wandering. I am running about 80 psi in the tires because the loaded RV was under weight on both axles. It tracks pretty good down the road at 60-62 mph. On our recent trip there was about a 20-25 mph crosswind and keeping it your lane was a little more difficult.
It gets 7.5-8 mpg towing a CRV at 60-62 mph. I cut off the cruise when going up a hill. One down shift is OK but when it goes down another gear the rpms jump to 3500. Not good mpg at the rpm. It just slows down a bit going up hills, just like trucks. We are not in a big hurry to get anywhere. The old RV required mid test gas and the ACE takes regular. This a pretty good savings.
The only problem is the check engine light goes on and off at will. The code says "lost communication with the fuel pump". There is no difference in performance whether it is on of off. Its been back to Ford twice and they can't find anything wrong. I am keeping a log in case there are problems down the road.
Overall we really like it. We had 2 days of rain recently and had to stay inside. It get a little cramped but I watch TV on or the I Pad in front and the DW goes into the bedroom and reads. Some separation is good.
Old 01-17-2015, 12:51 PM   #12
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
THOR #1150
That is pretty funny about the "Don't buy this..." notes. Apparently the dealer didn't look around close enough to get them all. LOL
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 01:53 PM   #13

THOR #1436
Ed-Helen, what model do you have?
Old 01-17-2015, 02:25 PM   #14

Model: ACE
THOR #698
It is a 27.1
Old 01-21-2015, 12:46 AM   #15

Model: Hurricane 34E
THOR #937
I'm happy with my 2014 Hurricane 34e!

It's obviously not an ACE, but it's a Thor. And, after a year of regular use by two teenagers and parents on almost a weekly basis, nothing has failed, (at this very moment I am looking around for some wood to knock on).

Beyond what was initially caught by me before the 1 year warranty period and repaired, nothing has broken that the kids or I didn't cause.

Repaired under warranty/recall:
- Awning motor.
- Thor Brand jewel decal at the door that fell off.
- Door Step pinion shaft.
- Rear bathroom fan motor.
- Fold-out bed mattress leaked.
- Windshield privacy curtains backing disintegrated.
- Shwintec left and right drive motors and gears for Overhead Bunk.
- Holding tank Heating Pads reattached/replaced.
- Porch light bulb burned out.
- New set of storage compartment keys.

Repaired due to damage by the kids or myself:
- Small hole in screen door.
- Ran over a tire retread alligator, had to polish the paint on one side.
- Re-tighten every faucet and shower knob.
- Replaced front black tank cap rubber thingy that I accidently pulled off.

That's it. I'm in Southern California so it's never winterized and it's used all year long. Other than an oil change, air in the tires, a few washes and wax, tanks of gas, one propane refill, one refrigerator defrosting, flushing of the fresh water tank, nothing else. Everything repaired or replaced under warranty continues to work fine. My repairs are still holding up.

It's amazing and unfortunate to find that some people experience a nightmare with their new motorhome or RV. And, as mentioned above, the internet factor is in effect. You really only hear about the negative issues because people are looking for answers on a message board. And it's exactly the same on message boards for every single type, brand, and model of RV.
Old 01-22-2015, 01:41 AM   #16

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #1393
Larry,

I purchased the ACE 27.1 six weeks ago and overall glad I did. I posted some issues on this forum regarding issues with my new coach but now that most have been resolved (by me), I really am enjoying the coach. I previously had two 5th wheels so this was my first time driving a MH. I got used to it rather quickly and would feel confident driving it across the country. I have put 3000 miles on my MH already and feel 100% confident in it. The only thing to be aware of is another large coach or tractor trailer sneaking up on you on the highway, which will scare you a bit as you get pushed but feel this is probably the case on most MH's this size. The floor plan with the limited space is hard to beat and my kids like the bunk, which retracts when not in use. Feel free to ask me any questions, would be glad to help..
Old 01-24-2015, 01:04 AM   #17

Model: Daybreak 32HD
State: Texas
THOR #1427
2013 Daybreak 32HD Perspective

I purchased a 2013 Daybreak 32HD June 2013 with the Optional equipment includes Luxury Cherry wood package, Mesa Sand partial paint package, LCD bedroom TV, second roof A/C unit (centrally ducted), Onan 5500 generator, dual auxiliary batteries, 50 amp service cord and gas/electric water heater. I took it on four 2/6 hour trips one way to Corpus, Rockport, South Padre Island, and a long trip to Big Bend National Park. It operated well, but I had warranty work that just got completed January 2015.

Coach Acceptance, missing items:
Main Dining Area, Air Fan thermostat controlled - installed as I sat, before I signed.
HDMI/Cable to Bedroom and Below TV Compartment - had to return after parts were ordered to support three (3) independent TVs . Part of the contract under the miscellaneous are of the contract.
TV Controller - A new controller was ordered to support three (3) independent HDMI (3) TVs for the following - Satellite TV, DVD/CD Blue ray player, Cable connections, and open air digital signals. I wanted all three TVs to operate independently.
Satellite Device - choose your words carefully. I wanted an enclosed satellite dish with automatic dish reception, (stealth). What I got was a free open air DirecTV dish and automatic dish reception capability. I signed..
DirecTV - each TV has its own DirecTV box. I am able to turn off the coach DirecTV boxes when not in use and turn them on. I use DirecTV at home and it is a easy procedure. My coach DirecTV boxes have been off since November and they will get turned on in March 2015 until November again.

Warranty items replaced at no charge:
Kitchen sink - Not a seal evenly around the outside rim. You could slide a nickel in the bow on the side.
Kitchen faucet and hose - turned on the faucet and used the hose, great. Issue faucet did not work for five minutes until pressure was released.
Fender right - Cracked on the road to Big Bend - Issue screw came loose and cracked the fender. Just got repaired due to no use in the winter.
Bathroom Medicine cabinet - pressed wood puffed like a cotton ball on the inside bottom- replaced no issue after pictures (manufacturing defect)
Couch - rip in the side wall down the lacing (stretched fabric and it pulled from the seam) replaced manufacturing defect.
Kitchen table - side border too short, had a gap. Replaced manufacturing defect. Received second table, had to be replaced. RED lettering with make and model wrote on the top. Did not see... color blind, female guest laughed and replaced again with a female CW employee verifying the RED lettering damage.
Sink Cutting Board absent - warranty and received two!
Windshield Wiper Arm - Broke on the road and in the rain to South Padre. Called Thor on the road and they sent me two arms. When I awoke at KOA South Padre a note was on my door I had a package. Called before 1pm and it made the same day FEDEX shipment pick up.

Not Covered:
Had to replace batteries over 12 months.

Protection Warranty:
Road Hazard Tire Protection $900.00- Quite interesting. Purchased a five year plan from CW, Good Sam, and now I know a 3rd Party Vendor. Covered $528.00 of the $680.00 bill. Why, labor cost was higher than authorized to replace a blown tire with a new tire (air stem cracked -alarm sounded, moved immediately to the emergency lane and tire blew). Now, I know to call GS and tell them here is my extended warranty company information before they call for Road Service. I paid up front and received a check in 96 hours after my claim was submitted. Now, no upfront cost....if I follow the directions!

Added:
300 watt solar panels with accessories. Installed CW and under the five year warranty and the manufacturing warranty. All batteries receive a 13.2 amp when in the sun. Covered stored parking.
Tire Monitoring System - all six coach tires and four toad tires monitored. Alarms work.
Road Master System with proportional braking - Love it (Cadillac System I was told by the CW mechanic). I feel no weight behind me when I tow my 1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport or apply the brakes. Easy system 3 minutes to add my TOAD. (I am told I can use the installed air tank to top off my tires - research required!
Air Lift Air Springs - Installed in the rear springs with wireless remote. A better controlled ride with less coach movement. (I am told I can use the installed pump to top off my tires - research required.
Interior LED Lights - all replaced, exterior this March 2015.
Exterior TV - added a cabinet movable shelf in the Thor Exterior TV cabinet and attached the HDMI TV and 250 watt outdoor stereo.

I provided these additions as I reviewed other RV sites. The experienced RV users suggested these replacements and or additions, if affordable. I respect their guidance, maturity, and most of all their honest and open dialogue as I only have 6,000 miles in a Class A; before that a Pop-Up and that is another story!

I would recommend Thor Daybreak 32HD as they supported their warranty without an issue. My problem was with CW to complete my services in a timely manner. They fired my first CW Customer Support Agent; it took a long time to get my warranty items reported done, I came in and they where not done and I had to wait another six weeks for parts.
Old 03-13-2015, 09:59 PM   #18

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Arizona
THOR #1670
One thing you should realize that most forums have a lot of negative reviews. The problem is that owners with no problems tend not to post messages. People with problems post to gripe or to find answers to their problems. Unless the issue is specific and many people are having the same problem, I would not worry to mush.
Old 03-13-2015, 11:44 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
THOR #531
You also have to cut the wheat from the chaff. Some complaints I have read on the internet are legitimate (not just RVs, but any kind of product), while others are kind of nit-picking. I am sure it is just frustration by owners.

If it falls off, breaks, assumes temperatures it shouldn't, fails to operate, yea - those are all legitimate issues.

But if you go by reviews on the internet, you will never find 100% satisfaction on any product. While reviews can help in making your decision, I have learned to take them with a bit of skepticism.
Old 03-27-2015, 01:09 AM   #20

Model: 30.2
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #471
Thor ACE 27.1 owner is pleased after 10,000 miles

We have driven 10,000 miles in 2 years with our 2014 Thor ACE. I added a Safe-T-Plus steering stabalizer and reprogrammed the engine to do away with the double downshift on hills with the cruise control. I am looking to add air tabs this spring. We love the floor functional plan. Since we camp with our grandkids often, The sleeping is handled comfortably. We did have several warranty repairs which was handled by Camping World. We previously owned a 27' Four winds C and really enjoy the ride of the ACE compared to the Four Winds.