Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 11-21-2019, 12:24 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
THOR #17402
AUTO setting not switching to propane on fridge

Hi, I am a newbie 2015 Thor Freedom Elite 22E owner. I bought the RV used with 19,000 miles on it. Seems to be clean and in great shape. I did the walkthrough with Camping world tech and drove it home by myself thru down town Tampa rush hour traffic (proud moment) I parked the RV after making sure that everything was tucked in and turned off. The next day I couldn’t get the AUTO setting to run the fridge on propane. Then I couldn’t get the lights or anything else to work and we figured out that the RV battery wasn’t holding a charge. After I replaced the RV battery, the lights now work and the problem seems resolved. I am now out on my first trip and I can’t seen to get the heating unit to work, There was no owner’s manual with the unit so I am at a loss to figure this out. Does the ac unit in the ceiling also serve as the heat source because there is a dial that shows a blue/cold and a red/heat setting? The stove does light so I know that the propane is on, at least for the stove. Please help, I can’t believe that I just bought this and I’m already having problems .

Old 11-21-2019, 12:23 PM   #2

Model: Freedom Elite 29fe
THOR #4656
Wow! First off you need 12v to do most anything with propane. The refer needs it to ignite and control the propane. Your water heater needs it for the same reason. No the A/C is not your heater unless it has heat strips to provide auxiliary heat, doubtful in your rig. . Blue/red is only a suggestion as to where to set the relative temp. You should have a heater. It too will need 12v and propane.

2017 Freedom Elite 29fe
2015 Jeep Wrangler Toad
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 12:43 PM   #3
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Tampa rush hour traffic - That's a feat in itself.

So your fridge works properly now with the new battery?

Make sure your USE/STORE switch is in USE (or MAIN POWER switched ON)

Your thermostat should have a switch to change from cool to heat in order for the furnace to work.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 04:52 PM   #4

Model: 2014 Hurricane 34E
State: Alabama
THOR #6181
Welcome!!! Go to this link https://www.thormotorcoach.com/owner-login/ , sign up, and input RV info and you can find electronic manuals and info pertinent to your RV. Hope it helps. Thx, Dennis.
Old 11-21-2019, 11:13 PM   #5

THOR #17402
HUGE Thank You to all who responded to my questions. We found the thermostat and really really felt stupid, lol! A pillow was leaning up against it for quite some time and then we didn't notice it as the tv was sort of hiding it, lol. I registered on the Thor website and now am accessing the information that I need to figure everything out. It's my first RV so its a huge learning curve. Thanks again !!
Old 11-30-2019, 10:45 PM   #6

THOR #17402
New problems as it seems that the new battery did not solve the problem. Can someone tell me where the converter is located on a 2015 Thor Freedom Elite 22 E ? It seems that there is a short in the STORE/USE switch or problems with the converter itself. The control panel still shows nothing at all on anything after I have been driving for several hours. I do have the USE switch on! I am on the road right now and can’t look up specs very easily right now. I stopped in at a CAMPING WORLD but they didn’t have an actual service dept., ugh. They did tell me that the converter does have fuses. Please advise as I am heading to Florida with two very large dogs and it’s getting hotter as I go.
Old 11-30-2019, 11:07 PM   #7
Site Team

THOR #7035
The converter does have fuses, generally they are on the right side of your AC breaker panel - and the converter is usually in the bottom part of your breaker panel.

The USE/STORE relay has a fuse and there is a DC breaker between your batteries and the USE/STORE relay that looks like this:

What is your house battery voltage when nothing works?

Can you further explain this statement? "The control panel still shows nothing at all on anything after I have been driving for several hours"

Have you verified that the alternator will charge your house batteries? That is not always the case with all class C coaches.
Old 12-01-2019, 12:03 AM   #8

THOR #17402
Nothing works on the control panel so I could not get any reading on the house voltage. When I went to check the battery on the panel, nothing works. I can’t get a reading on tank levels or anything. I just stopped at a Walmart and had them read the voltage on the battery. The battery voltage is so low that they can’t get a reading on it soooooo being a new battery, it seems to me that something is sucking up the battery voltage. Last nite I had it on store while I was plugged in to landline power. Nothing else was left on except for one inside cabin light, which should not have drained the battery. Fridge was running on propane. When I called tech help line, they told me that the motor battery would charge the house battery but we’ve been driving for hours and house battery is still dead so something isn’t right.
I have reservations at an RV Park so I can plug in overnight and check out all the fuses on converter and the other switch. I purchased the RV battery at Sams club so I hV to return it there. Since this seems to be an RV problem, I know I need to find the source of the problem before thinking that I actually purchased a bad battery.
Old 12-01-2019, 12:17 AM   #9
Site Team

THOR #7035
Your USE/STORE switch has to be in USE for SP or Generator to charge the house batteries but if they are now that low - you will not be able to place your USE/STORE switch in USE until you charge the batteries with an external battery charger - and not a smart one; an old fashioned, not smart charger.

Your USE/STORE switch also has to be in USE for the alternator to charge the batteries.
Old 12-05-2019, 12:03 AM   #10

Model: Thor Hurricane 29M
THOR #9033
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Lyon View Post
Hi, I am a newbie 2015 Thor Freedom Elite 22E owner. I bought the RV used with 19,000 miles on it. Seems to be clean and in great shape. I did the walkthrough with Camping world tech and drove it home by myself thru down town Tampa rush hour traffic (proud moment) I parked the RV after making sure that everything was tucked in and turned off. The next day I couldn’t get the AUTO setting to run the fridge on propane. Then I couldn’t get the lights or anything else to work and we figured out that the RV battery wasn’t holding a charge. After I replaced the RV battery, the lights now work and the problem seems resolved. I am now out on my first trip and I can’t seen to get the heating unit to work, There was no owner’s manual with the unit so I am at a loss to figure this out. Does the ac unit in the ceiling also serve as the heat source because there is a dial that shows a blue/cold and a red/heat setting? The stove does light so I know that the propane is on, at least for the stove. Please help, I can’t believe that I just bought this and I’m already having problems .
SOunds like with the multiple problems that you have, it should be driven back to the CW and have them fix them. New or used, they should be selling you a totally working camper unless it was stated "as is."
Old 12-05-2019, 03:03 AM   #11

THOR #17402
We took the RV back to Camping World for trouble shooting the battery problem. Fortunately, they were very responsive and helpful. We are now on the third battery since we returned the new battery to place of purchase and they replaced it since it was completely dead. Camping work tech seemed to be very knowledgeable about testing everything. After checking everything, he came to the conclusion that we simply had some bad luck in purchasing a bad battery. The tech reviewed everything on our RV with us and sent us on our way. We did discover that the previous owner had replaced the factory sound system with a Pioneer digital, bluetooth system that displays backup camera etc. Unfortunately this Pioneer system works off the coach battery instead of the engine battery. I kind of suspect that this sound system might have been draining the battery because you have to literally turn it off AND turn off the screen display when not in use. The tech also suggested that we install an "oscillator" to help charge either battery on our RV. In a few days we should know if all the problems could be attributed simply to a newly purchased bad battery or ??????? Stay Tuned, lol!
Old 12-05-2019, 03:53 AM   #12
Site Team

THOR #7035
I don't think "oscillators" charge batteries. You have a battery charger built into the coach - it should work and charge your batteries without having to add anything.
Old 12-05-2019, 01:19 PM   #13

Model: Windsport 32R
State: South Carolina
THOR #17209
Battery problems

My neighbor has had multiple problems with her Freedom Elite. The emergency start solenoid was wired improperly from the factory and Camping World did not honor the warranty on a brand new coach. Cost her almost a grand to get it fixed. They also had problems with the coach battery and there were multiple problems with it. The use/store switch fell apart and had to be replaced. I got one online and replaced it. Then the engine battery kept going dead. They disconnected it every time they put it in storage. I did some checking with Thor and found that the BIM (battery Isolation Module) did not release when shut down and continued to draw on the battery. I found a voltage sensing relay that connects between the engine battery and the house battery. When the voltage drops below 12.8 volts, it disconnects automatically. When the engine alternator or converter is used, and the voltage gets above 13.3, it connects so that both batteries charge. If you have no 12v when the use/store switch is on, you may have a bad switch. When you toggle the switch, you should hear the relay latch and release. If you don't hear that, it's probably the switch.
Good Luck with CW. I find that they are mostly useless.
Old 12-05-2019, 01:32 PM   #14

Model: Freedom Elite 29fe
THOR #4656
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLeenhouts View Post
If you have no 12v when the use/store switch is on, you may have a bad switch. When you toggle the switch, you should hear the relay latch and release. If you don't hear that, it's probably the switch.
Good Luck with CW. I find that they are mostly useless.
Also, the Store/Use switch may be good, but there is a 5amp fuse inline close to the relay that is often the source of the problem.

2017 Freedom Elite 29fe
2015 Jeep Wrangler Toad
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 01:45 PM   #15

Model: A.C.E. 29.2
State: Oklahoma
THOR #2542
Quote:
In the event that it’s simply a matter of air in the line serving the refer, try setting the switch to “Gas” for a couple minutes then move it to “Auto”. Hopefully that will do the trick.
Old 12-05-2019, 02:03 PM   #16

Model: Windsport 29m
State: North Carolina
THOR #9553
Many good first things here to do. Main breaker in outside compartment, Use/Store switch, check breaker panel cause you have fuses for the 12v system there as well as making sure your buttons on everything is set to the right function. We had an issue with our fridge. If it cannot get propane to the burner it won't light. If you are very quiet when you turn on the fridge switch from off to gas or electric you should hear it click then light. If not you may have air in the propane line. To avoid this every time you fill the propane tank light all the gas burners on your stove, should be 3, maybe 2 and let them burn til you see a steady blue flame. Bubbles will get there first. If your fridge doesn't light, turn it off and wait several minutes. Repeat until it lights. Even if your plugged in and on 120 volts the fridge still needs gas to work properly. Hope your up and running soon!!!! Bob Trice
Old 12-05-2019, 03:26 PM   #17

Brand: Still Looking
Model: S.O.B.
THOR #14543
Exclamation

Quote:
The tech also suggested that we install an "oscillator" to help charge either battery on our RV.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
I don't think "oscillators" charge batteries.
I suspect what he recommended was an "isolator". Sounds similar but two totally different things. Personally, I'm not sure exactly what an isolator would do for the problem.
Popfla is offline   Reply With Quote