Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 01-11-2019, 02:42 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37 LX
State: South Dakota
THOR #12005
Auto start generator

I have a magnum auto start system. Can’t get it to work. When I check status or test nothing happens. It’s like there is no power for the auto start. Generator runs good when starting it normally. I bought this RV used. Not sure the system has ever been used. 15,000 miles on it when purchased. HELP

Old 01-11-2019, 02:58 PM   #2

Model: Palazzo 36.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #13712
Make sure your auto gen start is set properly. I have my own gen set issues with the front AC, but I did have an AGS setting wrong when I couldn't fire up. But also check the fuse rest on the gen set itself if there is one.

Enjoy the journey, one day at a time!
Chuck and Mary Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 03:26 PM   #3

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
do you have the 'remote' version, where your Magnum panel controls it, or is it the manual version, where you have to physical rotate buttons on the module?

the 'test' option is to allow it to automatically prime, crank, and run for 30 seconds before automatically shutting off.
If this is not working, you probably have one end of the communications wire that is not seated properly, or the module itself is not receiving 12v power, with a green light.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 03:42 PM   #4

THOR #12005
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
do you have the 'remote' version, where your Magnum panel controls it, or is it the manual version, where you have to physical rotate buttons on the module?

the 'test' option is to allow it to automatically prime, crank, and run for 30 seconds before automatically shutting off.
If this is not working, you probably have one end of the communications wire that is not seated properly, or the module itself is not receiving 12v power, with a green light.
It’s manual. There is a enable and status control in the cab. Then the controls where you rotate buttons in the bay. I’ve attached photo of settings
Old 01-11-2019, 04:02 PM   #5

THOR #4735
sounds like you have a loose or disconnected wire between the controller and the module then...not allowing it to 'Enable' the AGS and run. or a misconnection somewhere...
Old 01-11-2019, 04:09 PM   #6

THOR #12005
Picture of auto start #1

This is the controls in the cab and the one in the bay.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0ACEFFDF-AB4F-457A-B68B-59108DEDEFF6.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	129.2 KB
ID:	15035   Click image for larger version

Name:	BE9B3268-5E3C-45DE-9B1E-8A1395BDC84A.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	15036  

Old 01-11-2019, 04:15 PM   #7

THOR #4735
you might also verify the wiring into the Module with the installation instructions from Magnum - it's possible a wire or two was not installed correctly - I would also think that when you have the switch 'Enabled', it's green light would come on.
Old 01-11-2019, 06:23 PM   #8

Model: Four Winds 31W
State: Michigan
THOR #9522
Mine was wired incorrectly from the factory. The 12V power to the module in the bay was conected to the wrong location on the module.
1977 Tioga 24 foot RV
petefoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 12:36 PM   #9

THOR #12005
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
you might also verify the wiring into the Module with the installation instructions from Magnum - it's possible a wire or two was not installed correctly - I would also think that when you have the switch 'Enabled', it's green light would come on.
That’s what I thought too. I’m taking it to an RV repair. They said the least expensive way to go is run a new wire, rather than the labor of trying to find where the fuse was put. Thanks for the input.
Old 01-12-2019, 02:02 PM   #10

THOR #9522
Check the connection at the module in the bay. It has a green led that's on 12/7. Mine did not because like I said the 12V power to the module was connected to the wrong terminals .
1977 Tioga 24 foot RV
Old 01-12-2019, 02:37 PM   #11

THOR #12005
Quote:
Originally Posted by petefoss View Post
Check the connection at the module in the bay. It has a green led that's on 12/7. Mine did not because like I said the 12V power to the module was connected to the wrong terminals .
Looking at the picture it shows the green on #6. I downloaded the instillation manual, it has many different ways to do the wiring. Do you have a picture of how yours are wired?
Old 01-12-2019, 05:46 PM   #12

THOR #9522
The corrected image is today after rewiring. The original image is as received from Thor. As you can see in the original the green ready LED is off while after correcting the module has power and the LED is on. Note that LED is on 24/7 independent of the Use/Store switch so it is one of the small parasitic draws while in storage that doesn't go away.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Corrected.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	139.2 KB
ID:	15047   Click image for larger version

Name:	Original.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	161.0 KB
ID:	15048  

1977 Tioga 24 foot RV
Old 01-13-2019, 01:23 AM   #13

Model: Freedom Elite
State: Florida
THOR #14082
This is interesting. Parasitic/phantom loads are worrisome. I am going to have to find out if I have one. Did you guys say you found it under the drivers cockpit dash or somewhere else. In any case, thank you for brining it up. I have never heard of such a device but I will look at mine. Thank you again.
Old 01-13-2019, 03:31 AM   #14

THOR #9522
Mine is in the storage bay just forward of the coach batteries.
1977 Tioga 24 foot RV
Old 01-13-2019, 02:05 PM   #15

State: Wisconsin
THOR #11120
Make sure you download and read the Magnum AGS manual available from the Thor Owners Webpage. The system settings are multiple for both 12 and 24 volt systems. If the unit operates in Test mode, it should operate in Enable mode. The unit operation should be independent of the manual operation of the genset.
Old 01-13-2019, 03:15 PM   #16

THOR #4735
a quick tutorial on the Magnum AGS module and it's operations:

- 'TEST' provides for a quick automatic starting of the Gen, a run for 30 seconds, and an automatic shut down to confirm that the system is working properly
- 'Enable' and 'Enable w Quiet Time' are essentially the same, giving the AGS the 'ready status' to provide automatic starting - Quiet Time is to only allow this to operate during the included Hours, i.e., if you are at a campground that limits generator run times during overnight hours.(you'll also need to set the 'TIME' setting)

- 'RUN TIME': the amount of time you want the Generator to run before automatically shutting down by the AGS. 30min, 1 hour, 2 hours, etc., are the options. If you start with a setting of 30mins, you'll start to see if that is enough run time for your situation, but everyone tends to use a number that is comfortable for them. Some are more concerned about 'fully' charging the batteries, while others of us are more concerned about charging the battery bank for a shorter time, giving several hours between runs.

Triggers:
- 'VOLTS' setting: allows for the user to set the 'trigger' to start the Generator when the Battery Bank voltage falls below this number for a continuous 2 minutes. A good number to start with might be 12.0 Volts, which leaves enough power to make sure the AGS can actually start the Generator when it needs to.

- 'TEMP' setting: allows for the user to set a Temperature setting that will start the Generator in order to power the 120v roof Air Conditioner(s). Of course, you must also have the air conditioner Thermostat 'ON' and set to a temperature that is 1 digit lower than the AGS temp setting, so that the Air Conditioner will actual come on when the Generator starts. The AGS will run the generator until the temperature is reached.

Additional: LBCO(Low Battery Cut Out)
This is to maintain a 'fail safe' limit to the level that the Inverter can use power before it is automatically shut down due to the battery bank level reaching a critical level, should the Generator not be able to be started, the Generator's breaker(s) trip, or if you forget to enable the AGS. A good number to use is 11.5 Volts.

:SHORE button, or SHORE MAX
This setting tells the integrated Battery Charger how much 'amperage' it can make use of during the Generator run, or even when plugged into Shore Power.
-Typically, when on full 50amp Shore Power, and for an overnight or two, you might want to leave this on the default 30amp setting, giving the charger most everything it needs to charge the battery bank as quickly as possible.
-But, sometimes you are on less than full electrical service, such as 30amp or even 15/20amp - so you can dial this setting BACK down to 10 or 15, and the Charger will use a lot less amps during your overnight, and you have more room to use more of the electrical items in your coach without tripping the shore breaker.
-When the AGS is employed during off-grid overnights or extended stays, you might consider the Charger to need the MOST amperage, because, after all, your are probably employing the AGS to charge the battery bank when it drops too low - so dial this up to 30 or even higher, giving the Charger the most of the generator's 120v output during it's run. You might want to watch your other usage during this time, since now you are giving the Charger priority - using the microwave or air conditioners might help to prematurely trip a breaker, usually on the Generator itself.

The AGS is a WONDERFUL tool - especially for off-grid or when you want to make sure that the Battery Bank is maintained, the temperature in the coach is kept at a certain level, OR you want to make sure if shore power is lost, and the Inverter uses too much battery power, that the AGS will start the generator - serving as your BACK UP power supply, at least until shore power is restored.

We never used our generator near as much until I realized the power of this great tool. The generator is built and designed to run as much and as often as you want it to, and it's perfectly engineered to do that, without complaint. It's partner, the AGS, is the go-between technology so that the owner does not have to constantly monitor the battery bank or temperature, especially while away, and can have confidence that everything is 'just fine' back at the coach!

Travel, enjoy... and let the AGS control the Generator - you'll love it!
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 04:33 PM   #17

THOR #12005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcscocon View Post
Make sure you download and read the Magnum AGS manual available from the Thor Owners Webpage. The system settings are multiple for both 12 and 24 volt systems. If the unit operates in Test mode, it should operate in Enable mode. The unit operation should be independent of the manual operation of the genset.
I did download it. My problem is there seems to be no power going to it. The ready light does not come on, in either location (bay or remote)
Old 01-14-2019, 12:02 AM   #18

THOR #9522
Exactly the problem with mine. Yours is probably miswired too
1977 Tioga 24 foot RV