Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-25-2017, 08:27 PM   #41

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.3 Sold
State: Arkansas
THOR #8012
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVbeetle View Post
Gmc, is such a far stretch as you say, what it suppose to do and what's it not doing is two different things. you come pay the bill when I get it fixed. To clarify I have hydraulic juice all over the RV pump and underneath the bottom of my Rv. Look I see you have alot of knowledge but you don't have to post if you don't know what your talking about. Granted the jacks should lift the RV no problem; is it worth taking a chance having your wheels off the ground and Dealing with a potential leak or bad pump.
You're attacking GMC because you are frustrated, but you aren't hearing what he's saying.

What is the difference on the jacks whether the front wheels are off the ground completely or not? It would be the weight of the wheels and suspension that hangs. Actually, only part of the suspension weight, because once the jacks lift the front end at all, they are now sharing the load with the tires.

In my coach, my front axle weighs in at 6500 lbs, how much of that is the tires and wheels, maybe 250lbs or so? Another 250lbs or so in the "partial suspension" weight that the tires are carrying when the front end is raised, but the tires not fully off the ground?

So, something like 6000 lbs carried by the jacks and 500 lbs by the wheels, give or take, vs 6500 by the jacks if they carry the full weight with the wheels off the ground.

Yes, I'm spit balling the numbers and they might be off by a bit, but the point is that if you raise the front end at all with the jacks, then they will immediately be carrying most of the weight and the difference in weight between the tires on and off the ground is minimal and not going to be enough weight to cause the leaks you describe.

Frustrated or not, you really shouldn't attack someone who is trying to help. But, if you must attack someone without cause, at least try and get your facts straight.

Old 10-25-2017, 08:31 PM   #42
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucev View Post
I do have a question for those who self level. What in the RV do you use to determine level? I usually use the floor in the center, but then the stove and bed are always still off.
In my case I've found the floor just behind the drivers /passengers seat, the kitchen counter, and the fridge are all the same 'level' - so a bubble level on the floor is what I use to get it 'close'...
The final check is asking DW if it feels ok to her... and adjusting as needed.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 08:41 PM   #43

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
Lots use the refrigerator as the point to level, though I have established an area on the counter that is pretty accurate. For rear to front leveling, the bathroom door is an indicator, if it swings forward the nose is low, if it swings back the nose is high.
Old 10-25-2017, 08:42 PM   #44

THOR #8012
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc View Post
In my case I've found the floor just behind the drivers /passengers seat, the kitchen counter, and the fridge are all the same 'level' - so a bubble level on the floor is what I use to get it 'close'...
The final check is asking DW if it feels ok to her... and adjusting as needed.
I went the Level Mate Pro route and love it. However when I was setting it's zero, I found that more or less the area from directly behind the cockpit back to the bathroom was mostly the same (high spot here or there), so that's what I set my level on.

I then adjusted it a tad so that when the Level Mate Pro thinks it's level, it's actually the left side up about 1/2" (I think that's what I did), so when I put the slides out, it's back to level.
Old 10-26-2017, 03:48 PM   #45

Model: Thor Chateau 31w
State: New York
THOR #3786
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnedator View Post
You're attacking GMC because you are frustrated, but you aren't hearing what he's saying.

What is the difference on the jacks whether the front wheels are off the ground completely or not? It would be the weight of the wheels and suspension that hangs. Actually, only part of the suspension weight, because once the jacks lift the front end at all, they are now sharing the load with the tires.

In my coach, my front axle weighs in at 6500 lbs, how much of that is the tires and wheels, maybe 250lbs or so? Another 250lbs or so in the "partial suspension" weight that the tires are carrying when the front end is raised, but the tires not fully off the ground?

So, something like 6000 lbs carried by the jacks and 500 lbs by the wheels, give or take, vs 6500 by the jacks if they carry the full weight with the wheels off the ground.

Yes, I'm spit balling the numbers and they might be off by a bit, but the point is that if you raise the front end at all with the jacks, then they will immediately be carrying most of the weight and the difference in weight between the tires on and off the ground is minimal and not going to be enough weight to cause the leaks you describe.

Frustrated or not, you really shouldn't attack someone who is trying to help. But, if you must attack someone without cause, at least try and get your facts straight.
Look tnc, I provided my opinion, I am not attacking your boyfriend. But when gmc responded to my post in the beginning conversation as what I wrote as far fetched. That is a very unusual way to respond to someone, which most people would take as attacking me and discounting my personal experience. Look champ, I am not responding back. Peace.
Old 10-26-2017, 04:02 PM   #46

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
Where's the forum moderator? Time to edit some posts in my opinion. Or someonee needs a nap!
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 04:03 PM   #47
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
THOR #8860
We should be able to handle this on our own...

This might just be me...
But do you feel as if it might be getting a bit "warm" in here?

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1509033810
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	flamethowing.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	7489  
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 05:21 PM   #48

THOR #8012
I was always a Ford guy and now an Audi guy, I would never have a GMC as my girlfriend (I don't do boyfriends... not that there is anything wrong with that...)
Old 10-26-2017, 06:11 PM   #49
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
I was always a Ford guy and now an Audi guy, I would never have a GMC as my girlfriend (I don't do boyfriends... not that there is anything wrong with that...)
We have a saying about this too!
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1509041458
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Whatever Floats Your Goat.jpg
Views:	453
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	7493  
Old 10-26-2017, 08:10 PM   #50

THOR #8012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Hey, goats are more precious than wives here in Arkansas. Make sure you treat our goats with kid gloves...
Old 10-26-2017, 08:31 PM   #51

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
Sounds like someone was just looking for an argument & not help with his problem.
The jabs weren't even directed to me, but next time they post I'll send him a quarter so he can call someone the gives a sh-- about his problems!
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 08:37 PM   #52
Site Team

Brand: Crossroads
Model: CF32BL
State: Mississippi
THOR #121
play nice or we will close this sand box
The wonder Schnauzers
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 10:33 PM   #53
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Hey, goats are more precious than wives here in Arkansas. Make sure you treat our goats with kid gloves...