Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-12-2015, 07:54 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Colorado
THOR #1067
Axis on E 450 Chassis

Just found out today that Thor is building the Axis on the E-450 Chassis now. Any one have an opinion whether this is a good idea and the ramifications of such a move? Of course, the dealer ship sales says it drives a lot better. Why wouldn't he? Sure would appreciate the comments. Dave

Old 10-12-2015, 09:33 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
There are already a few owners here with E450 Vegas/Axis units.

The pluses are:
  • Heaver chassis
  • Bigger GVWR--more carrying capacity
  • Bigger GCWR--more towing capacity

About the only minus I could think of would be a slightly harsher ride.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 10:07 PM   #3

THOR #1067
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
There are already a few owners here with E450 Vegas/Axis units.

The pluses are:
  • Heaver chassis
  • Bigger GVWR--more carrying capacity
  • Bigger GCWR--more towing capacity

About the only minus I could think of would be a slightly harsher ride.
Is the ride fairly harsh on your lighter duty chassis? Does the tire size go up to carry more load?
Old 10-12-2015, 10:47 PM   #4
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeitup26
Is the ride fairly harsh on your lighter duty chassis? Does the tire size go up to carry more load?
Not really that harsh: We're only 1,000lbs from the GVWR. I don't think the tire size goes up: There isn't that much clearance for larger tires.
Old 10-12-2015, 11:13 PM   #5

THOR #1067
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Not really that harsh: We're only 1,000lbs from the GVWR. I don't think the tire size goes up: There isn't that much clearance for larger tires.
I hope the folks who read this forum who own a 450 will come on and give us their experience. Has your experience so far with the Axis been doing tons of repairs and stuff like that, or just normal minor stuff. It scares me that i'm not very mechanically when thinking of being on the road and really need to be a mechanic to enjoy it.
Old 10-13-2015, 12:16 PM   #6
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeitup26
Has your experience so far with the Axis been doing tons of repairs and stuff like that, or just normal minor stuff. It scares me that i'm not very mechanically when thinking of being on the road and really need to be a mechanic to enjoy it.
Just rolled over 9000 miles since Feb 2014 when we picked it up. To date the largest issues with our 24.1 have been:
  • Shifter cable (just dropped off to Ford dealer for that fix; Detailed here: E350 wont shift out of drive)
  • Bottom drawer under stove broke the retaining latch (I fixed was pretty simple)
  • Front "hood" arms broke at the pivot point (RV dealer fixed)
  • Fuel pump went out on the genny (Fixed by Onan/Cummins)
  • Bathroom door handle broke, sort of: this was caused by some unruly teenagers! LOL (I fixed with larger screws and glue)
That really is about it for our issues. I've done more "mods" & "upgrades" than fixes.
So far my "mod" list is:
  • Upgraded radio to JRV-215 from 212 (Detailed here: Jensen JRV-212 Upgrade)
  • Added sewer storage under rear (Detailed here: Axis/Vegas mods 1 2 3)
  • Added 3 of these: Wall Mount Mail/Key rack (two on slide and one near the door)
  • Picked up some windshield covers
  • Sealed the taillight cutouts with Flex Seal (detailed here: Busy Day with the Axis that topic also shows the windshield covers)
  • Added Fatmat sound proofing to a bunch of places in the engine compartment
  • Picked up a tow dolly (although not really a "mod")
  • Started my DIY black tank sensor which I've been a bit stalled on (I'll get back to it--really! LOL Detailed here: DIY Capacitive Tank Sensor)
I'm sure there are more but those are all optional and the biggest items that needed fixing I had service departments do that (since all of those fixes should be warranty items).

So far we haven't had any issues on the road that prevented us from travelling. In fact I think the only thing that has really "broke" while we were travelling was the fuel pump on the genny which just stopped the genny. We continued that camping trip and I got it fixed a few weeks later at Onan/Cummins.
Old 10-13-2015, 04:44 PM   #7

Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
Pushing 2000 miles here on our 2016 Vegas 24.1 (on a 2015 Chassis). Our problems have been:
- Transmission shifter cable touching exhause, at the Ford dealer now for repair.
- AC/Heater switch on a Safety Recall, to be done at CW once cable is repaired.
- Gas heater switch replaced, kept cycling on and off even when not needed.
- Replaced latch on driver's window, was broken by someone while on the lot before we purchased.

Mods:
- Installed a fanless computer with external Hard Drive (Blue Tooth Compatible) Player, over the sink with HDMI splitter to inside and outside TV with wireless keyboard.
- Installed a larger handle on the screen door on inside (from CW catalog).
- Added one of the Wall Mount mail/Key racks listed by Jamie above.
- Added two folding cup holders in the back bedroom (got them at CW catalog).
- Added four self adhesive towel holders in bathroom.

Also got an outside ground mat (approx. 8ft X 16ft) to put down when camping to cut down on dirt and stuff into the RV, from CW showroom.

Like Jamie, nothing serious broken while camping. Would recommend getting dealership to demonstrate how to dump the gray and black water...I had a wet lesson OJT the first time.

Looking forward to getting the RV back from the dealership to head to the NC mountains to see the colors, DW has been having withdrawals these past three weeks with no RV'ing.

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote