Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-11-2017, 05:44 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor Axis
State: Mississippi
THOR #6203
So it begins ...

Last week I took my Axis back to the dealer to have a Progressive EMS installed, to find out why the hot water tank wasn't working and to have a few other minor repairs done. The trim around the door popped loose and the tub surround was pulling loose as well.
At the end of a very long day they declared that the hot water tank was not the problem but that it was the water pump. The repair slip stated that the other problems had been done. Not the case. The only thing that had been done was the surge EMS installation.
When I questioned them they said that the reason they hadn't fixed the other issues is that they were covered under warranty and they had to get permission to do the work as well as get the parts. Approximate time estimate 2 weeks.
That was a week ago. So having no confidence that they would actually place the work order I checked with them today. Guess what?? All I got was errs and ahs, and we will get back to you. Still waiting to hear from them.
Is there a way to contact Thor directly to get the parts? ( assuming CW will give me the part numbers) Am I at CW's mercy? Or better yet is there a way to bypass CW altogether? It's a 6 hr drive round trip for me, which wouldn't be so bad if I could trust them to do their job.
I apologize for being so long winded!

Old 04-11-2017, 07:08 PM   #2

Model: Freedom Elite 29fe
State: Florida
THOR #4656
When you left the finance managers office and before you got out the door you were forgotten. Wait on parts?

Can you imagine taking your new car to a Ford/Chevy/Dodge/ whatever and they don't have parts, particularly for something so common. They could get off their lazy ass and walk across the lot to the accessory store and grab off the counter a water pump, etc. and get a replacement from Thor later, but noooo, it's a separate profit center.

Welcome to the world of RV warranties, parts, and "service".
Old 04-11-2017, 07:18 PM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
I'd use the "contact Thor" portion of their website to get in touch with them and give them all your info (VIN, dealer, dealer contact, etc.). Keep on both your dealer and Thor (and try to be respectful--more bees with honey as the saying goes).

When you contact Thor you could also ask them if there is another authorized service center to get your RV repaired nearby.

Hmm you're 3 hours from your dealer, how far are you from Wakarusa, IN? (Factory service..they will fix it right).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 09:02 PM   #4

THOR #6203
Jamie
Wakarusa Is about 11-12 hrs away. I will call Thor about an alternative authorized service center and inquire about the other.
I think forming a relationship with someone at Thor might be in my best interest. The guys in the service department at CW seem to be very disorganized . The guy running the service desk seemed to have no idea what was going on.
Thanks
Old 04-11-2017, 09:49 PM   #5

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
You can work with Thor Customer Service to some warranty work. I have a great RV dealer near me. The problem is they are a Jayco/Entegra dealer. So I make an appointment, then take the coach in and have them identify the warranty items with an estimate of labor cost. I bring the coach back home. I e-mail the estimate to Ron Baker at Thor Customer Service. He sends me the parts with a return label in about 4 days. I make an appointment to have the parts installed and take the coach the 32 miles over to Youngbloods RV. I pay the bill and mail the parts back (post paid). About a month later Thor cuts me a check for the trouble-shooting and installation. I am a happy camper who did not have to commute the 288 miles to my closest Thor Motorcoach dealer. The reason the bad parts are returned is Thor sends the back to the original supplier for a warranty credit.

So far only parts purchased by Thor for the Hurricane have failed. The house is still sound. One happy camper and DW.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 09:57 PM   #6

THOR #6203
Two of the minor issues I had involved no more than replacing two screws and some caulk. When I asked why they hadn't at least done that they said they had to get approval and parts from Thor!!! The water pump I totally get, but 2 screws and a little caulk... Seriously?
Old 04-11-2017, 11:51 PM   #7

Model: Four Winds 26B
State: Indiana
THOR #6414
Quote:
Originally Posted by sforl View Post
Two of the minor issues I had involved no more than replacing two screws and some caulk. When I asked why they hadn't at least done that they said they had to get approval and parts from Thor!!! The water pump I totally get, but 2 screws and a little caulk... Seriously?
It's not about the screws or caulk. It's the $175/hr shop rate that high end dealers charge. They don't want to give that time away and if they fix it and Thor doesn't approve the work then they are out that time/money. And the process for approval is ancient at most dealers when dealing with manufacturers. Most look like something created in the 70s and 80s.