Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-14-2017, 02:42 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
AXIS/VEGAS driving in cross-wind gusts

Was driving this weekend in (what to me) was some strong gusts (25-40 mph) and found myself slowing down to 50-60 mph in the coach to feel comfortable..

Do the gusts effect anyone else this way? Felt kind of guilty with everyone on the interstate having to pass. Not used to not "leading" the parade...

Have to admit, still new at handling the coach, but the VEGAS really does handle great

Old 06-14-2017, 03:24 AM   #2

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Better to slow down and be safe! Remember you are driving a vehicle that is about as aerodynamic as a mailbox, wind is going to have a huge affect!
Old 06-14-2017, 03:25 AM   #3

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #5313
Gusty winds bother mine. Not huge issue, but I will slow down some. Likely add sway bars later in year to help.
Old 06-14-2017, 07:22 AM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo_Mike View Post
Was driving this weekend in (what to me) was some strong gusts (25-40 mph) and found myself slowing down to 50-60 mph in the coach to feel comfortable..

Do the gusts effect anyone else this way? Felt kind of guilty with everyone on the interstate having to pass. Not used to not "leading" the parade...

Have to admit, still new at handling the coach, but the VEGAS really does handle great
Smart to slow down in any conditions until you are comfortable with the coach's handling. Can't believe the number of people in heavy rain, wind and even snow that continue down the road over the speed limit, swaying in the breeze.
Old 06-14-2017, 11:23 AM   #5
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Gusty winds affect my car as well; usually have to slow down driving even that.

Slowing down is the safest thing to do. Don't worry about the other traffic going around you just be safe (they should also be slowing down). If you really feel unsafe going that slow get off the highway and either stop or take a road with a lower speed limit.

LOL! It isn't a race; you don't have to "lead" the parade.

(In fact, when driving the RV I'm most comfortable setting the cruise control about 1 or 2 mph slower than the ambient traffic speed. This way I can just ride in the right lane with the cruise control on all relaxed as everyone has to pass me. I still get wherever I'm going in plenty of time and its a relatively stress free drive. Just try to keep the delta between me and the other traffic very slight.)
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 12:21 PM   #6
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Driving throught the midwest on a rather windy day in my 30' Infinity (previous RV) - 30mph gusts across the road - I certainly felt it...
Slowing down if you don't feel comfortable - regardless of the equipment installed - is always the best thing...

I stopped for gas and a small blazer pulled in the other side of the pump... The guy got out - and the wind tried to blow his door closed... He commented 'no wonder my car is all over the road'.. I just looked at him and said 'try driving this billboard'... He looked up - then quietly started pumping gas.

As others said - don't worry about the other traffic - drive at speed comfortable for you - and if you feel it is too slow - stop and wait for better weather. You have your 'house' with you - so should have anything you need to stop for a bit.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 12:27 PM   #7

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:

Do the gusts effect anyone else this way? ....cut....
Cross winds in range of 25 to 40 MPH are very strong in my opinion.. And as mentioned above, they will affect everyone, some just more than others.

Since winds that strong don't happen every day, I think slowing down makes most sense. One day I was following my wife from Houston to San Antonio in strong crosswinds out of the Gulf and while she was going the speed limit in our Odyssey, it was too much for me in our taller Ford van that doesn't handle crosswinds as well as the Honda. I had to call her and ask to slow down.

I've rarely experienced crosswinds that strong, probably less than 1% of driven miles, so don't plan to take any action other than slow down as needed.
Old 06-14-2017, 12:47 PM   #8
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:

Mike...we encounter extreme winds going west from KC area ... western KS, Okla & Texas are always a challenge. Last summer, with our new Axis, Ron was constantly fighting it. Like you, he is used to leading the pack..however, he has surrendered that role and drops his speed to reasonable under those conditions..and under normal conditions...he seldom runs over 65 ...
2 weeks ago, we were near Emporia, KS when a storm hit..extreme heavy rain/small hail (no damage) .. slowed to 20mph just to see road...no place to stop...lasted about 5 minutes...

As documented in another post....Ron installed Sumo Springs to replace the bump stops ... oem bump stops left too much space before they came into play...this summer on the most recent trip he was very pleased with the handling in the cross winds, etc.

We will report more results when we head to Colorado in a few weeks.
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 04:22 PM   #9

Model: Axis 25.1
State: California
THOR #2792
Gusty winds on our cross country trip this past weekend and Monday

We drove from California to New Mexico. New Mexico to Oklahoma. Then Oklahoma to Alabama. Every day there were extremely gusty winds. No rain at all. I was able to keep my 2016 Thor Axis 25.1 easily under control going 70. I believe that this was due to the fact that I had a sway bar attached before I got it aligned after our first cross country trip to California from Michigan where we bought the motorhome. On that trip, every time a semi truck went by it was hard to keep it going straight down the road at 55. Adding the sway bar made it feel like I am driving my truck down the road more than a motorhome.
Old 06-14-2017, 04:23 PM   #10

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #5313
RVs are not the only victims of high winds. My old minivan, Nissan Versa and even the Altima I now use as commuter car get pushed by wind gusts. We are in T-Storm season here in South Florida and I had to slow on way home at 5 AM due to gusts from T-Storm this morning. The only vehicle we have that is somewhat impervious to wind is the Suburban. It does not seem to bother by much of anything.

The Vegas does well overall but we do allow extra time when on a race schedule. Last trip home from Fort Wilderness, heavy gusts slowed us to 50 to 55 MPH. No issue, we are on vacation.

We travel according to conditions. I am surprised at how many either slow to near nothing and turn flashers on or act like they are on NASCAR track and weave in and out at the first sign of rain drops.

I do plan on adding heavy sway bars to Vegas later in year. I think it will help resistance to wind and passing trucks. But it is not anywhere near critical. We will be heading to NC/Tenn with grandson in a couple weeks. I expect the Vegas will do fine on Blue Ridge Parkway. I been in the rolling hills just East of there and it did fine.
Old 06-14-2017, 05:16 PM   #11

State: Alabama
THOR #6446
I had a gust hit me a couple of months ago. It blew me on to the shoulder in nothing flat. Luckily I was driving slow enough to recover. Was some pucker factor involved. Sooo I also slow it down when there is a crosswind component.
Safe_t_Plus, Spare mount underneath
Dynamat Extreme / Hoodliner Doghouse Treatment
2016vegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 02:01 PM   #12

Model: Hurricane34F
State: Texas
THOR #7086
Last Monday I drove from Limon Co to Colter Bay Wyoming . From Laramie to Rock Springs in 40 + cross winds I was able to drive 55 to 60 but just outside Rock Springs on 191 I hit 60 + cross winds and a Haboob where I could not see. I slowed to 35. Very stressfull!!!!
I feel if I had not put sway bars and steering stabilizer on my MH it would have been more difficult. I have a 36 ft Hurricane and jeep Wrangler toad. I know now what my limitations are for wind. Not sure if I will do that again but stopping was not a option.
Old 06-15-2017, 02:38 PM   #13

Model: Miramar 34.2
State: New York
THOR #3584

I freak out when crossing the I 95 Millard E. Tydings Memorial Bridge in Maryland with our 37’ Miramar. The crosswinds on this bridge are incredible and scary for the best of drivers.

Old 07-10-2017, 03:19 AM   #14

THOR #6320
I installed the Safe-T-Plus on our Axis 25.2. After driving cross country an the windy crosswinds in the mountains it made a huge difference. Really glad I did it after we finished the 4,745 miles.
Old 07-10-2017, 03:48 AM   #15
Site Team

Model: Axis 24.1 Windjammer
State: Illinois
THOR #7074
I installed the Safe-T-Plus before 5000 mile plus trip out west. I thought it was better but still did not let wife or kids drive. I never drove in that type of non-stop wind before. SUMO'S both front and rear are being put on Tuesday. Also having front and rear upgraded sway control installed. Hedwig brand . Then off to Fla. For 10 days. Will see if a big change.
Hellwig 7718 Front Sway Bar & 7180 Rear Sway Bar
Koni FSD Front Shocks 8805-1042 / Koni FSD Rear Shocks 8805-1043
revjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote