Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 05-15-2019, 12:19 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Georgia
THOR #13689
Axis windshields

My wife and I are considering the purchase of a Thor Axis Motorhome, but wanted to get some feedback on the big windshield. What has been your experience, positive/negative?

Old 05-15-2019, 12:32 PM   #2

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Its awesome. But I did have to tint my front windshield tinted with "clear ceramic tint" (Well 15% tinted - but you really cant tell) and that took away the intese heat while parked (or driving). I dont alway have to lower the front blind so I can enjoy the views. Makes the AC work better, Plus you dont squint as much if you dont have sunglasses on.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 01:23 PM   #3

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Ceramic tint is the bomb. Did both cars a few years ago...what change in inside temps!!
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 01:32 PM   #4
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Welcome to the site.

If you are considering a new Axis/Vegas unit you'll get the somewhat shorter windshield than the one we have (I believe ours is 6" - 10" taller)--Thor shortened them due to a cracking problem in the older windshields.

The good: You get great views of whatever: While parked can see stuff, while driving--take the scenic way because you'll see all of it.

The bad, but can be mitigated: People can see in while camping--makes you feel like you're in a fishbowl. Along with that sunlight gets in heating up the coach.

How to mitigate that (for the heat you can do like mentioned above and tint): You can get a Sunguard Windshield Cover or a Magneshade Windshield Cover both of which will block the sunlight and outside peepers from getting/seeing in during the day (at night its brighter in the coach than outside so people can see in but you just lower the shade at night).

Our experience: We love it being able to see just about anything.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 02:03 PM   #5

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Or you can get the big rolls of reflective bubble wrap. I have those cut to fit every window in the RV. I can store them over my bed easy. It will make it dark inside (which can be desired if your tring to sleep) but it will cut out a tremendous amount of heat and prevent fade/deterioration of the interior as well (must have for outside storage).

So the ceramic window tint does a good job while on the move and for quick stops but once stopped the reflective bubble or magnashade are need for longterm comfort when its hot outside (or real cold).

But IMO its one of the best looking small RV's on the road... the windshield one of the main features that atracted us to the Axis.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 02:06 PM   #6

Model: Axis 27.7
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #12085
One of the reasons I got my Axis was the great view the big windshield provides.

Good visibility while driving and nice views while parked. That said the fish bowl effect needs to be considered in some circumstances. The shade works well when privacy is desired.
Old 05-15-2019, 02:10 PM   #7

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
Welcome to the forum!

We love our Vegas and the panoramic view. It's not all that much bigger than the windshield of our previous Class A. Our Vegas was one of the last with the taller windshields. I am a big fan of the RainX products.

I have a giant accordion sunscreen from that camping megastore, and it does a pretty good job of reflecting the sun and cutting the heat. Admittedly not as good as the ceramic tint, but much cheaper ($20)!

Lowering the sunshade helps when driving on certain days. I am extra careful to leave room behind any vehicle I follow, but especially dump trucks and flatbed semis. So many things to consider when buying an RV, but I wouldn't worry about that windshield.
Old 05-15-2019, 02:32 PM   #8

THOR #13689
Axis windshield

A special thanks to everyone who is responding to our question regarding the Axis windshield. Your comments are very helpful to my wife and me as we make a final decision on the Axis 24.1 we are considering purchasing!!!
Old 05-15-2019, 02:38 PM   #9

THOR #13689
Axis 24.1

Also, if you have any other words of wisdom concerning Axis features, positive or negative, we would be glad to hear them. This would give us additional information as to what to look for. We are going to the dealer today at 1:30 (EDT) to further evaluate the 2015, Model 24.1 which has only 6,600 miles on it. Thank you very much!!!
Old 05-15-2019, 02:46 PM   #10

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
Before you go to check out that Axis, please download Ed Felker's excellent crowd-sourced manual for Vegas/Axis.

https://1drv.ms/w/s!AiYx6DLSeiiP53x246awlGrg8B-I

Skim it and pay special attention to the PDI checklist. It will help you know what to look out for.

Happy hunting!
Old 05-26-2019, 05:09 PM   #11

Model: Windsport 29m
State: North Carolina
THOR #9553
That's one of the reasons we got a class A. It's like your in a theatre watching a movie of America going cross country. Getting there and seeing we're you are is half the fun. I agree with the other post about ceramic tinting. We spent $1600.00 on our Windsport and it's worth every penny. Much cooler in the back and no glare while driving....