Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-21-2019, 06:03 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Elite
State: Florida
THOR #14082
Axxera TV Sound Bar wish to mount to top of TV

OK. This maybe an old question but:
Reason for question: my hearing is pathetic and the AC and the low volume of the 32" Axxera TV is just minimally audible to me.
What seems to work for me. I tried small PC speakers with no good success so I went to Walmart and got a 32" sound bar from BlackWeb for $68.00. I installed it and set it in a location in front of the Mom's attic bed. It had a great sound and volume control and we all could easily and clearly hear the TV. So we want it and it is reasonable in costs.
Finally, when we parked our RV for a three week break and looked into the Blackweb website and found no mounting hardware and looked into Amazon for hardware and did not find anything that I felt comfortable doing modifications and making it work. I want it to look nice, be sturdy, inexpensive, and reusable for other TV's(for the future). Most important is to mount "ON TOP OF THE TV". I have looked at some You Tube websites videos and they would modify some box store aluminum flat bar; probably inexpensive but could look like a homemade hatchet job unless given to a very maticulous person of which I am but not THAT willing to offer the amount of time.
Has anyone tried to make or use a good premanufactured mounting system to mount a max. 10 pound 32" speaker bar to the top of an Axxera TV, Model 30-AXT40D LED.
Thank you in advance.

Old 04-21-2019, 10:40 PM   #2

Model: Palazzo 33.2
State: California
THOR #12839
I've had good luck with heavy duty adhesive backed velcro (long wide rolls) which you can just mount the two directly together if there is enough of a flat edge on the top of the TV, or you can get a piece of 2" aluminum angle and velcro to the top back edge of the TV to created a larger surface and then velcro to that. Since your TV will basically be supporting the soundbar and gravity is working for you, the velcro will only have to keep it in place, not hold it up, so you shouldn't have to worry about heat weakening the adhesive and pulling away.
Old 04-22-2019, 12:28 PM   #3

Model: 26HE
State: Alabama
THOR #12744
I'm assuming you already have a wall-mount. They do make kits to add a soundbar. Use this bracket set to mount to the bottom or top.

I was actually planning on doing it myself at one point. Just forgot about it.

https://www.amazon.com/AVF-EAK90-Uni...-1-spons&psc=1
Old 04-22-2019, 12:58 PM   #4

THOR #14082
HaRVey: Thank you for the response. I will look into it. I like the idea and the simplistic approach but I am wondering if I can make it look representable and not cheap looking. I will keep my sites open for a bit but this one is definetly with merit.
Old 04-22-2019, 01:04 PM   #5

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
I did the same to my TV. Mounted a sound bar to the top of it. I bought my sound bar (LG, I think) at Best Buy and they also had a universal sound bar mounting kit that let you add an adjustable bracket to the TV itself. It worked great on my Insignia TV. It cost more than I thought it should but it was just what I was looking for.
Old 04-22-2019, 01:06 PM   #6

THOR #14082
Brad2018: I pretty much decided this morning that I am going to have to take the TV, the mounting arm, and the sound bar completely down from my RV and bring it inside the fixed house to really look at it. Yes, Thor did include a TV mounting arm but it probably is not a super good quality since it is not anything but an amenity. Looking for the arms name brand will give me another alternative. Maybe, I should simply change it out to a good arm that will offer mounting options and more flexibility. This activity is probably more work than I wanted but is very likely the best option and it only requires my time and effort, no cash outlay. I am going to plan to put this on my wish list for the next few days. But, I am going to keep my options open for other ideas that others have completed themselves. Thank you tons. I hope to be able to photograph, include my actual solution, put on this forum, and fully resolve my problem with this minor issue (but annoying to me).
Old 04-22-2019, 01:15 PM   #7

THOR #14082
Pete'sMH: Thank you for the knowledge. The sound bar I purchased does not appear to have a suitable website that offers specific mounting assemblies. Further, I do not know the name brand of the articulating TV mounting device. I am not sure of "Universal" anything, really. I believe I am going to have to request some help from my family and simply take the TV, the articulating arm assembly, and the sound bar completely off and into the fixed home and on the kitchen table. Get name brands, look them up, and see what they offer. I really did not want to do this since asking for help from my family is kinda conditional, meaning when I want to do it they are busy, so I have to wait. I am just an impatient kinda guy. Probably, normal though. But if I do not ask for help, I may damage something and really cause myself some problems. So, I will plan the activity with them and get this part of this effort going more forward. I do like the idea of making it look like it belongs while at the sametime, being cost effective and long lasting. Thank you very much. I will continue collecting ideas that others have done and further assess what I wish to occur,
Old 04-22-2019, 05:40 PM   #8

THOR #14082
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovemyClassC View Post
HaRVey: Thank you for the response. I will look into it. I like the idea and the simplistic approach but I am wondering if I can make it look representable and not cheap looking. I will keep my sites open for a bit but this one is definetly with merit.
HaRVey: Good morning. I checked and measured the top edge of the TV for mounting the HD Velcro. The only flat edge is only 1/4" wide and the aluminum angle would require constructing a attaching flat bar system to connect with the support anchor points on the TV back. Further, to complicate the matter is the connecting screws from the proposed sound bar support structure to the TV as well as the TV wall mount system; theses screws would need to be longer than the existing and would impact the TV screen back and would absolutely need to be a defined length, too long would be disasterous and at least risky. (In my opinion at this time). The idea and concept is very promising but I think to do this effort in a safer fashion is likely going to cost me a bit more cash but I am still looking into it. My next step is to remove the TV and the wall mount assembly; bring it all, including the sound bar into the fixed home and really look at it. I took all of the pertinent dimensions this morning. I may just belly up to the bar and completly replace the TV mount system to one that offers a sound bar connector system and one that offers more flexibility like horizontal articulation. This sounds more expensive. Maybe I can find a used one on Craigslist. So, the saga continues. Thank you
Old 04-22-2019, 09:41 PM   #9

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovemyClassC View Post
Pete'sMH: Thank you for the knowledge. The sound bar I purchased does not appear to have a suitable website that offers specific mounting assemblies. Further, I do not know the name brand of the articulating TV mounting device. I am not sure of "Universal" anything, really. I believe I am going to have to request some help from my family and simply take the TV, the articulating arm assembly, and the sound bar completely off and into the fixed home and on the kitchen table. Get name brands, look them up, and see what they offer. I really did not want to do this since asking for help from my family is kinda conditional, meaning when I want to do it they are busy, so I have to wait. I am just an impatient kinda guy. Probably, normal though. But if I do not ask for help, I may damage something and really cause myself some problems. So, I will plan the activity with them and get this part of this effort going more forward. I do like the idea of making it look like it belongs while at the sametime, being cost effective and long lasting. Thank you very much. I will continue collecting ideas that others have done and further assess what I wish to occur,

I looked up the mounting hardware I used. It’s a Rocketfish model RF-SBM101. Best Buy sells them for $39.95 whch is a lot for what you get but isn’t so much if it accomplishes what you need to do. The ad says it mounts the sound bar below the TV but it worked just as well for me on top. As I recall the instructions were pretty good. The brackets attach to the same bolts that hold the TV to its wall or arm mount.
Old 04-23-2019, 04:52 PM   #10

THOR #14082
All:
As an update it doesn't look to promising. Thor offered me their part number for the tv mounting arm and referenced MorRyde products. I went to MorRyde and searched their website and spoke to a tech rep. In all cases they did not provide a sound bar attached to the mounting arm nor did any of their accessory brackets. I am next going to look at the suggested vendors that offer a assembly and see what may fit. I am really thinking that HaRVey has the best idea though, simply get some aluminum angle that I can paint black color, get some HD Velcro and attach to the back of the top section of the TV and apply the male side of the Velcro to the underside of the angle and then attach the sound bar using that method will likely cost about $20.00 and would leave me some scrap angle and the remains of the Velcro. Very simple and a likely try. I will let you know of the continued saga and I hope to provide pictures of the before and after, simply for reference. Thank you for your assistance and advice. It has all been very good.
Michael
Old 04-24-2019, 04:51 PM   #11

THOR #14082
Just a follow up:
Pete'sMH: I looked up your bracket from RocketFish. It is a very very good system. A bit pricey though, as you said. It would not be an easy install since my arm and TV mounting plate are relatively small and would require drilling and such.
Brad2018: I looked up your product on Amazon. $19.97. The system has a great deal of promise.

I looked and thought some more of what I could live with and that I can do within two weeks for my next trip. I have found a Bluetooth adapter for $14.00 at WalMart on line. It is not a perfect fix but could allow me to easily relocate the sound bar to anywhere in the coach and move it for travel when necessary. I think this is my best bet for the time being. Of course, my family will dictate their wishes after the next trip. The Bluetooth adapter can be relocated inside the fixed home for other uses in case I go back to the drawing table. Thank you all for your help. This is a great way to learn so much about my toy and minimize mistakes or misgivings. (one does not know unless one asks. Experience is a great teacher). Over and out. Peace.