Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-12-2018, 06:25 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Utah
THOR #12415
banks cold air

Hi.
Has anyone installed a banks cold air intake on a vegas class A with the v10 ford? If so how difficult was the job? I have a 2017 24.1.

Old 10-12-2018, 06:56 PM   #2

Model: Palazzo 33.2
State: California
THOR #12839
Best Band for Buck - 5 Star Tune & Cheep Handling Fix

The best bang for buck mod you can make is the programmer and tune from 5 Star Tuning (https://5startuning.com/product/7015fs/)
It was night and day improvement in power, shifting (up & down) and even got a consistent 1 mpg improvement.
it's an 87 octane tune so no need to run premium and the videos showing the before and after of an F250/F350 towing a 14k trailer up a slight grade are exactly what I experienced with our 2015 Thor ACE 29.2
The other huge benefit is the change in the shift-points which when in tow-haul mode does such a great job downshifting to control speed downhill, that I almost never had to use the brakes down hill or in town traffic until I needed to come to a complete stop.
I don't know if it applies to your chassis (F53 chassis fix) but the 2nd best mod was the relocation of the sway bar end links to the inner bolt hole position which took ~30 minutes, cost nothing and provided a huge improvement in handling! You can find extensive reviews, pictures ect. under "Cheep Handling Fix" on the IRV2 forum.
Old 10-12-2018, 09:26 PM   #3

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
I looked into adding some sort of Cold Air intake but I desided agains it. For one it dont add much HP

But the most important reason I desided against it is some report hearing it suck in air while driving (Im sure at half or WOT) and I dont want any more noise in my RV while driving.

In a sports car or Jeep thats fine but in a RV.....

Let us know if you do and report what you find out first hand.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 06:12 AM   #4

Model: Axis 25.4
THOR #6582
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaRVey View Post
The best bang for buck mod you can make is the programmer and tune from 5 Star Tuning (https://5startuning.com/product/7015fs/)
It was night and day improvement in power, shifting (up & down) and even got a consistent 1 mpg improvement...

So HaRVey, that all sounds great but how does the tuning work for smog check? Any issues? Detune then retune? Thx
Hellwig sway bars F&R, 235/85 Hankook ATM, alignment...HUGE!!!
Battery watering, 260watts Solar and BigFeets to make life easier.
gnach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 03:26 AM   #5

Model: Chateau 31L
THOR #2917
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaRVey View Post
It was night and day improvement in power, shifting (up & down) and even got a consistent 1 mpg improvement.
it's an 87 octane tune so no need to run premium and the videos showing the before and after of an F250/F350 towing a 14k trailer up a slight grade are exactly what I experienced with our 2015 Thor ACE 29.2
The other huge benefit is the change in the shift-points which when in tow-haul mode does such a great job downshifting to control speed downhill, that I almost never had to use the brakes down hill or in town traffic until I needed to come to a complete stop.
I don't know if it applies to your chassis (F53 chassis fix) but the 2nd best mod was the relocation of the sway bar end links to the inner bolt hole position which took ~30 minutes, cost nothing and provided a huge improvement in handling! You can find extensive reviews, pictures ect. under "Cheep Handling Fix" on the IRV2 forum.
Sounds nice, but not available in California due to pollution control.
dlbeck27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 08:23 PM   #6

Model: Hurricane 27K
THOR #2544
Not true, I have a 5 Star on my F150 with CAI. When I get a smog check I put the stock air cleaner and tune in and then reverse when done. Both the 5 Star and CAI cause my truck to run cleaner and better but the communists here in California hate anything they can't make money on.
brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 06:40 AM   #7

Model: Four Winds 31E (2019)
THOR #12270
CAI on a V10? unless it has ill leave the rice in the pantry not under the hood.