Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 03-11-2018, 05:14 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Daybreak 34XD
State: Florida
THOR #10209
Basement Storage Weights

Getting ready to hit the road full time. Never experienced a RV so all new to me. As I started to load the basement 2014 Daybreak 34XD with drinks and albums (photos) and misc stuff. I thought about the weight in the boxes and could not find info on this subject. I have weighed (Full tanks and add't tires) the RV and figure I have 1,000 lbs to work with. I replaced the front tires (19.5) and placed them in the middle compartment as that is the widest and fit perfect still leaving me plenty storage. Anyone hear of weight capacity since its plastic and only screws no under reinforcement. Thanks for any info. I love this site. Have learned much.

Old 03-11-2018, 08:28 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Congratulations on your new full-timer status!
I would be... cautious about overloading those plastic storage compartments.
I don't know if there's a weight limit for them; but my gut tells me that there should be...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 08:49 PM   #3

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Congratulations on your new full-timer status!
I would be... cautious about overloading those plastic storage compartments.
I don't know if there's a weight limit for them; but my gut tells me that there should be...
And especially since THOR has been "known" for being "stingy" with their use of screws...

(except for all the ones we have found just laying around under things, behind things and in the dash)
Old 03-11-2018, 09:49 PM   #4
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo_Mike View Post
And especially since THOR has been "known" for being "stingy" with their use of screws...

(except for all the ones we have found just laying around under things, behind things and in the dash)
Well see its like this: Each coach gets a fixed number of screws from the parts bin: Whether they are used to hold something together or just lay on the floor somewhere, its still only X screws.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 05:03 PM   #5

Model: 2017 Windsport 34J
State: Alabama
THOR #5645
Do what I did before I bought my Windsport - climb in each box! The salesman like to had a stroke! :-) I weigh 185 and figured if it could hold me it would hold what I would put in it.
WarEagleDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 11:17 PM   #6

Model: ACE 30.1
State: Colorado
THOR #5190
I have my doubts on how much each of those rotocast compartments can hold. I have one bay that has about 50-75 pounds of chocks, 6 or 8 Hosspads (large and medium) and a few other pieces of 2x6 and it looks like that's all it wants to take. The bottom is bowing out but the bin looks like its holding. I'm sure that there is some amount of F=Ma force going on as the coach bounces down the road so that weight may act like a couple hundred pounds at times.

I'll probably rotate that stuff out of the side bins into the big storage compartment we have in the rear (ACE 30.1 so there is a big exterior compartment that's under part of the bed). The rear compartment is all wood construction so it can take a lot more.
Roadmaster Falcon All Terrain
RVi Brake 3
DenverTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 01:15 AM   #7

Model: Tuscany 34ST
State: Oregon
THOR #1149
Basement Storage Weights

After 2 1/2 seasons and 25K miles my basement floors are sagging. During the PDI I asked weight limits and was told 200 lbs for the smaller ones.
The weight in one is less than 100 lbs. The one with the wine fridge is probably 150 lbs. max. The pass through with the sliding tray which has never had more than 200 lbs is sagging so bad I will remove the tray and install 3/4" plywood that rests on the perimeter support ledge before this season. I have lined all the others with 3/4" ply already.
And I have one of the big coaches everyone thinks are so stout.
steveak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 02:23 PM   #8

State: Washington
THOR #11373
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveak View Post
After 2 1/2 seasons and 25K miles my basement floors are sagging. During the PDI I asked weight limits and was told 200 lbs for the smaller ones.
The weight in one is less than 100 lbs. The one with the wine fridge is probably 150 lbs. max. The pass through with the sliding tray which has never had more than 200 lbs is sagging so bad I will remove the tray and install 3/4" plywood that rests on the perimeter support ledge before this season. I have lined all the others with 3/4" ply already.
And I have one of the big coaches everyone thinks are so stout.
Do you have any pictures of the repair? Mine are sagging and pulling screws out of the wall.
Old 04-21-2018, 03:05 PM   #9

Model: 34F
State: Oklahoma
THOR #8432
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheeline View Post
Do you have any pictures of the repair? Mine are sagging and pulling screws out of the wall.
I see by the 'weight' of your wine cabinet... that you run a tight ship. Some of your getting 'tight' too I see.
Old 04-22-2018, 11:39 PM   #10

THOR #1149
Basement Storage Weights

No pics yet. Your question got me started on the repair today. Emptied out the bay and removed the screws holding the sliding tray. Only four screws holding it in place. Will need to move the coach out of parking area in order to get the sliding tray out of the bay. Will take two to remove it, it is pretty heavy.
Will probably take most of the week for the repair as I have three golf dates and hope to go skiing at least one more time this week.
Then I have to figure out how to post pictures!

Steve
Old 04-23-2018, 12:05 AM   #11

Model: 34F
State: Oklahoma
THOR #8432
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverTransplant View Post
I have my doubts on how much each of those rotocast compartments can hold. I have one bay that has about 50-75 pounds of chocks, 6 or 8 Hosspads (large and medium) and a few other pieces of 2x6 and it looks like that's all it wants to take. The bottom is bowing out but the bin looks like its holding. I'm sure that there is some amount of F=Ma force going on as the coach bounces down the road so that weight may act like a couple hundred pounds at times.

I'll probably rotate that stuff out of the side bins into the big storage compartment we have in the rear (ACE 30.1 so there is a big exterior compartment that's under part of the bed). The rear compartment is all wood construction so it can take a lot more.
Figured this out about what stuff goes in which boxes a while back. Stuff to be used on the 'left' side of the RV (water hoses, sewer lines, power line, TV cable, air compressor) to the left. Stuff being used on the 'right' (BBQ grill cooking stuff, tool box, propane grill, picnic stuff) on the right. Flash lights, pliers, screwdrivers, extra screws, gloves go underneath the step in the entrence. RV cleaning stuff goes in the bathroom. Broom & mop got a clip to the wall there. DVD players got put next to TVs. Still can't find where to put the TV & DVD remotes, but I'm working on it.
Old 04-28-2018, 06:06 PM   #12

Model: Palazzo
State: Wisconsin
THOR #11270
Yes there are weight limitations. We loaded out plastic basement storage area with too heavy a load (soft drinks, adult beverages, a 5-gallon size pail I use for outdoor plumbing and electrical stuff). The plastic storage area is held in place by adhesive, caulk, and small sheet metal screws. The sheet metal screws pulled loose and then the adhesive gave out. Upon arrival, plastic bunker had sagged about 8 inches from excess weight.
Old 04-28-2018, 06:58 PM   #13

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR13 View Post
Yes there are weight limitations. We loaded out plastic basement storage area with too heavy a load (soft drinks, adult beverages, a 5-gallon size pail I use for outdoor plumbing and electrical stuff). The plastic storage area is held in place by adhesive, caulk, and small sheet metal screws. The sheet metal screws pulled loose and then the adhesive gave out. Upon arrival, plastic bunker had sagged about 8 inches from excess weight.
What type of MH do you have?
Old 04-28-2018, 07:24 PM   #14
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarEagleDan View Post
Do what I did before I bought my Windsport - climb in each box! The salesman like to had a stroke! :-) I weigh 185 and figured if it could hold me it would hold what I would put in it.
But Dan...
Now your Missus knows where she could hide your body!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 11:52 PM   #15

THOR #1149
Basement Storage Weights

Well the job is finished. Really did not take very long. Initially I was thinking that there was a metal angle/lip running from driver to passenger side which the plywood would rest on. With further inspection I found that not to be true. However there are two stout rails running front to rear 29" in from each side on the underside of the bay. That and a strong lip at the edges of the bay allowed the plywood to be resting on very solid surfaces. At 3/4" the plywood should be more than strong enough to hold everything satisfactorily. The two hardest parts of the repair are the removal of the sliding tray (it weighs about 150 lbs) and the fact that the cargo bay was not square, but measured 1" wider on the drivers side and 3/4" wider than the center on the passenger side. Removal of the sliding tray requires removing 4 lag bolts and 2 younger guys. It is necessary to cut the plywood into sections no more than 31" X 48" in order to get the sections in the bay as the main frame rails prevent insertion of longer pieces. As the coach measures about 92" wide inside the bay one sheet of plywood completed the job.

Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1732.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	143.5 KB
ID:	9932   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5047.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	165.6 KB
ID:	9933  

Name:	IMG_4060.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	9934   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5087.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	9935  

Name:	IMG_3033.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	9936  
Old 04-29-2018, 12:07 AM   #16

Model: Ace 30.4
State: Louisiana
THOR #9620
Storage compartment weight limit

I see that I’ve had poor strategy. I have been looking thru the coach fairly often for rarely used items to get rid of thinking the lighter the better. Sounds like I need to lay off and let the wife pack her up.
Old 04-29-2018, 12:08 AM   #17
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
It sure looks as if you did a great job; congratulations!
Old 05-09-2018, 07:05 PM   #18

Model: Daybreak 34XD
THOR #10209
Steveak nice job.
So far just a slight bow to the one compartment with drinks. (2 cs water 35/16oz bottles, 3 cs 24 ea soda, 2 cs Coffee (16 at 3bls = 48 lbs) and a few misc items I est about 115 lbs. I must say you all are quite witty. Dan that's a great idea, but I only wt 135lbs. Thank you all for responding.
Old 05-09-2018, 07:53 PM   #19

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
I cut 3/8th's plywood sheets the size of the floors and put them in the floor of the plastic bins. The top of the boxes actually have a 90 degree lip that wraps over the flooring so vertical strength is good.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 11:38 PM   #20

Model: Palazzo
State: Wisconsin
THOR #11270
That was on a 2015 Windsport 31S. It was the rear, large bunker. The smaller bunkers did not have the same issue

Tags
basement, storage compartment, weight