Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 05-18-2017, 12:19 AM   #1

State: Arizona
THOR #7542
Batteries Not Staying Charged

My batteries won't stay charged longer than a couple days even in storage mode. Found a light on in the basement so plugged in and charged them back up, down again after two days. I am hitting the "store" switch on the way out. What am I missing?

Old 05-18-2017, 12:26 AM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Unfortunately Thor installs less than high quality batteries in their coaches. Almost everyone ends up replacing them within the first few seasons.

In addition, even being on Store there still is some draw. Most of us install some sort of physical battery disconnect to ensure that there is no draw (the alternative is trying to trace down that draw).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 12:55 AM   #3

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
I have a similar complaint on my 2017. AND it's not charging well. The battery was made 10/16 and I had it tested at Batteries Plus today. It tested fine even under load. I'm adding a knife disconnect and I'll also need to confirm a solid ground connection to the chassis. Frustrating.
Old 05-18-2017, 12:59 AM   #4

THOR #7542
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Unfortunately Thor installs less than high quality batteries in their coaches. Almost everyone ends up replacing them within the first few seasons.

In addition, even being on Store there still is some draw. Most of us install some sort of physical battery disconnect to ensure that there is no draw (the alternative is trying to trace down that draw).

I thought the "store" switch disconnected the batteries, but apparently not so. Suppose I could hook up a D.C. Voltmeter, then start pulling fuses to see which circuit the draw is on
Old 05-18-2017, 01:01 AM   #5

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
Cool

Quote:
... installs less than high quality batteries in their coaches. Almost everyone ends up replacing them within the first few seasons.
really?? this is the type of ridiculous statements that some people make who have NO CLUE about any real information they are making rude comments about... show ME where you get your information - 'prove' to everyone where you get these numbers that state 'almost everyone', blah, blah, blah... if you have not talked to EVERY Thor owner, then you DO NOT KNOW what you are talking about.

Our batteries, regardless of the 'name brand' the factory decides to install, have been in our coach over 3 years - we full time, have traveled EXTENSIVELY, drycamp for days, use 30a power, 50a power, and sometimes solar charging, too... and have NEVER had an issue with our batteries...

You are making rude assumptions about a manufacturer and brand without any true information. I can appreciate if you have had issues with your own, but to paint a whole brand with such a broad stroke is not fair, and thoughtless. It's as though you have a negative bent to a manufacturer and nows the time to take it out on them, but I wonder who is really listening to you when you have such an obvious slant against the named manufacturer.

My belief is that very few folks have batteries with problems, but more often than not they are just not aware of how to MAINTAIN their batteries properly. Just flipping your STORE switch is never a guarantee that parasitic draws will not continue to draw power from the batteries, or that you have not accidentally kept something on that will drain them. Drained batteries are problematic for ANY type of batteries, and many times the OWNER is to blame, not the 'factory'.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 01:01 AM   #6
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Yeah there still are some connections even when in "store" mode making it not very useful.
Old 05-18-2017, 01:10 AM   #7

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
Question

Quote:
Yeah there still are some connections even when in "store" mode making it not very useful.
actually, it is VERY useful, in situations where you need it to be.. meaning:

- the cO2 detector, and other similar safety devices, requires constant 12v power, regardless of whether you are using the RV or not, and is not a device that should be 'turned off' in any situation

The RV industry has certain requirements for manufacture, regardless of whether we might think it's useless when we don't need it. But, that's just when it's needed to most.

I agree that more education about what the STORE switch is for, what it does, and when to use it best, should be in order for every manufacturer... it's usually a 'on the fly' learning experience for all of us. It's probably where another informative 'decal' placed near the switch would be nice.
Old 05-18-2017, 01:14 AM   #8

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
one of the first things I did was to install mechanical disconnect switches on both battery systems. I learned the hard way that these batteries are damaged by deep discharges
and that they will self discharge on their own, and anything connected will just drain them even faster.
So I try to be good about putting them away full, and disconnect them every time....

I also suspect that many of these batteries come from the dealer already damaged....a salesman or customer will turn a light on and leave it on all night. The battery drains below the threshold of damage....or alternatively they might sit on the lot for months and self discharge to the point of damage. Then when the customer buys the RV, they think they get a new battery but in fact it's already at reduced capacity
Old 05-18-2017, 01:15 AM   #9
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam

- the cO2 detector, and other similar safety devices, requires constant 12v power, regardless of whether you are using the RV or not, and is not a device that should be 'turned off' in any situation

The RV industry has certain requirements for manufacture, regardless of whether we might think it's useless when we don't need it. But, that's just when it's needed to most.

I agree that more education about what the STORE switch is for, what it does, and when to use it best, should be in order for every manufacturer... it's usually a 'on the fly' learning experience for all of us. It's probably where another informative 'decal' placed near the switch would be nice.
Sure those devices are useful and shouldn't be turned off, in general.

For those of us, however, that can't use the RV 24/7 we'd like to believe that "Store" means I can put it in "Store" at the storage lot and come back to it in a week or a month and it will be alive when in "Use". Granted this is an education thing as well..perhaps it shouldn't be labelled "Store", maybe "low power" or something else as "Store" does imply a certain set of circumstances.

Maybe they should put in a 3-way switch: Use, Essential functions, and Store. Then provide a clear manual describing exactly what happens when in each setting.
Old 05-18-2017, 01:15 AM   #10

THOR #7542
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post

I have had my 2017 Vegas for a month now and I killed the batteries once because I left a basement light on. I have a lot to learn for sure.
Old 05-18-2017, 02:14 AM   #11

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: North Carolina
THOR #5494
Hello Everyone, My 2016 Vegas 25.2 Battery for the engine and coach went dead. It would recharge and then they would go dead within a couple of days. I performed several load test and found that the Engine battery was bad. I replaced that battery and installed a Disconnect on the Battery post. So when I am not using the motorhome I hit the switch at the door, I open up the battery box on the coach and throw that breaker, then open up the front and throw the battery disconnect and the breaker up front. No need to have anything on while sitting in the garage. New Walmart Battery works great, fire every thing up about once a month and drive it for 10 miles. I never had to do this on any of my other motor homes. It is just one of those things. Maybe it was a crap battery maybe it was operator error, Just don't want it happening again! By the way thanks to the fine people on this site I was able to make all repairs successfully!
Old 05-18-2017, 10:42 PM   #12

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: California
THOR #1226
My heater has power to it all the time with it in storage and all power off. I found this when the circuit board got wet and the blower came on the the igniter started firing. The only way to get it stopped was to pull the red wires off the heater circuit board. It was fine after the circuit board dried out.

You might check your is heater is off on the thermostat.

2015 Hurricane 27K
2013 Redhawk
1988 Pace Arrow
fivejackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 10:48 PM   #13

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Unfortunately "store" is a misnomer, there is still significant parasitic drain on the batteries. I keep our coach plugged in to 110 at the house and leave the battery switch in the "use" mode to keep the batteries charged all the time. Downside is having to add water more frequently.
Old 05-18-2017, 10:54 PM   #14
mrw

Model: A.C.E. 29.3
State: West Virginia
THOR #4502
WOW! Somebody needs to chill......Relax a little
Old 06-01-2017, 01:45 AM   #15

Model: ACE 30.2
State: Wyoming
THOR #7482
Quote:
Sure those devices are useful and shouldn't be turned off, in general.

For those of us, however, that can't use the RV 24/7 we'd like to believe that "Store" means I can put it in "Store" at the storage lot and come back to it in a week or a month and it will be alive when in "Use". Granted this is an education thing as well..perhaps it shouldn't be labelled "Store", maybe "low power" or something else as "Store" does imply a certain set of circumstances.

Maybe they should put in a 3-way switch: Use, Essential functions, and Store. Then provide a clear manual describing exactly what happens when in each setting.

What does happen?
Old 06-01-2017, 02:03 AM   #16

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: North Carolina
THOR #5494
Quote:
Originally Posted by westlaker View Post
What does happen?
Hello westlaker, I really like what JamieGeek says about it. I have owned a 2005 and a 2011. When put in store mode or flip the switch to off that's what it meant. On my 2016 during "storage" there is still drainage of all 3 batteries. Hence the reason I installed kill switches on the batteries. The only down fall I see doing that is the radio time needs to be reset. No big deal. Hey this works great for me and I feel better!
Old 06-01-2017, 06:26 AM   #17
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Definately a 'your mileage may vary' thing...
My 2 RV's so far (2000 infinity and 2014 Hurricane) - the disconnects have been complete...
The 2000 had disconnect on both the coach and chassis... The 2014 on the coach only - in both cases could go (and did) months without an issue in STORE mode... (even the chassis on the 2014 has been no issue without a manual disconnect.)
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 01:45 PM   #18

Model: ACE 30.2
State: Wyoming
THOR #7482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucke View Post
Hello westlaker, I really like what JamieGeek says about it. I have owned a 2005 and a 2011. When put in store mode or flip the switch to off that's what it meant. On my 2016 during "storage" there is still drainage of all 3 batteries. Hence the reason I installed kill switches on the batteries. The only down fall I see doing that is the radio time needs to be reset. No big deal. Hey this works great for me and I feel better!
So storage mode means "less" drain but not no drain. So it's good for short periods only and we need to install manual disconnects? What exactly does it leave on the grid?
Old 06-13-2017, 03:51 PM   #19

State: Virginia
THOR #7380
Thanks to all for this post. I have a brand new Class C Outlaw and twice I came out to the coach to find the batteries dead after just a couple of days. For now I will just leave it plugged into 20 amps from home until I find another solution. Good to know I am not the only one with this challenge.