Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-18-2018, 12:45 AM   #21

Brand: Still Looking
State: Oregon
THOR #9314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sunshine View Post
Long and Winding Road had it right. Once you figure out how to release the latch, it's not so hard. I was able to take mine off and put them back on.

Bungee cords don't last very long, especially when stretched, so I wouldn't use them for this job.

Well i sprayed wD-40 on metal latch so will see what happens

Old 10-18-2018, 12:54 AM   #22

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.1
State: Ohio
THOR #5125
I soaked mine in WD for 2 days. Tried prying like the post above. Pushed on the clamp and pulled on the loose end and mine freed. I may augment with a large zip tie as a backup. Good luck!
Old 10-18-2018, 01:04 AM   #23

Model: 34F
State: Oklahoma
THOR #8432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sunshine View Post
Long and Winding Road had it right. Once you figure out how to release the latch, it's not so hard. I was able to take mine off and put them back on.

Bungee cords don't last very long, especially when stretched, so I wouldn't use them for this job.
Be sure to wash your hands after this cause the battery acid has a way o getting in or on places you don't want it to.
Old 10-19-2018, 04:14 PM   #24

Model: Challenger 37 LX
State: Florida
THOR #7853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cason61 View Post
So I'm thinking (except for the autos that you have to take off a fender) why doesn't Thor just make a battery cap you can screw down with posts, like in the cars?
That would be too easy and would reduce the sales of new battery straps..

<'))))>(
RV Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 08:32 PM   #25

THOR #8432
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Pirate View Post
That would be too easy and would reduce the sales of new battery straps..[emoji38]
Saw some of them that had the screw at the top that clamped onto the bottom. Could work.
Old 10-19-2018, 08:56 PM   #26

Model: Gemini 23TR
State: California
THOR #6701
I had to cut one of mine and I overlapped the cut ends and used contact cement and a little thread. It's probably as strong now as it was before I cut it.

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1539982506
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2280.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	164.4 KB
ID:	13570  
Old 10-19-2018, 09:10 PM   #27

Brand: Still Looking
State: Oregon
THOR #9314
Um strap may be long enough to put a new latch on it and have latch on top.
Like that idea.
Old 10-21-2018, 01:46 AM   #28

THOR #8432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gc.lonefir View Post
Um strap may be long enough to put a new latch on it and have latch on top.
Like that idea.
I sewed mine back together and when I went to Walmart for something else, there there were. Right in front of me, so I bought the new one instead.
Old 10-27-2018, 07:33 PM   #29

Model: FourWinds 24F
State: Michigan
THOR #7056
Love your picture - looks similar to my setup - 2017 FourWinds 24F, the batteries are under the steps; when we purchased, they agreed to install a second house battery. BUT - they orientated the battery same as the other and the positive terminal of the front battery was to the right AND 1/8 inch or less under the metal flooring!! What idiots! Thanks to Gen RV for that one. I had some warranty work done at Thor and asked them to flip that front battery - if nothing else than for safety purposes. Then called to ask "now why do you want that battery moved?" - I said "look at the clearance". When I inspected, yes the battery was rotated but no straps. The Thor warranty repair person informed me that I really don't need the straps!! Yeah right.
Old 10-27-2018, 10:20 PM   #30

Model: Vegas 2018 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #12484
Quote:
Tried to get one of the battery straps on house battery loosened to get tab up to check for water. The metal latch was corroded. Scraped it but can’t get latch which is on the side of battery to open up. Will spraying and soaking it with WD-40 help ?

If it’s a 24.1 battery strap it is released by squeezing the clasp and pulling the strap. My strap was over one of the water tabs as well. There are also hooks that the strap goes into if you take a look underneath.
2002 National See Breeze 1341
mstng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 03:40 PM   #31

THOR #1819
Baking soda

Quote:
Tried to get one of the battery straps on house battery loosened to get tab up to check for water. The metal latch was corroded. Scraped it but can’t get latch which is on the side of battery to open up. Will spraying and soaking it with WD-40 help ?
My suggestions is, cut the strap, baking soda the battery post and connections a couple three times, rinse off thoroughly with regular water, let dry or blow dry, take some regular motor oil from the motor dip stick or from an oil can, lightly coat the connections and a the metal ends of the bungy strap or what ever inexpensive hold down you can purchase and go on down the road. You might want to pour some baking soda mix on the coach battery connections.
Do not spend money on anti corrosion spray cans or WD-40. They do work BUT, a table spoon of plain old baking soda in a cup of water pour slowly on the connections over a couple of minutes will do the same. WD-40 was designed years ago mainly for military to spray in the distributors of gas engines to draw the water from the points and such to start a vehicle that the motor had gotten yet for what ever reason. That is what WD stands for, Water Distribute. Even though it has a oil substance it still draws water later. Wipe down a piece of metal with it, wrap it in a towel and go back a year later, it will be rusted.