Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-10-2018, 09:30 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Tuscany 45AT
State: North Carolina
THOR #3325
Best way to communicate while parking/maneuvering

Hey all

So, we have a 45ft Tuscany AT and when arriving at camp sites, I normally jump out and my wife takes over the while. I help line us up, watch for issues...oh, and pay the camp fee.

My question is on advice on communication from outside (me) to inside (wife). Of all the great moments we have had in our RV we both seem to get hot when parking. We have tried calling each other on our phones but not much success there. Hand signals are 'two small...I can't see you'.

I would like to get over this issue...any advice or technology the group have used/

Thanks in advance.

Old 06-10-2018, 10:06 PM   #2

Model: ACE 30.1
State: Colorado
THOR #5190
Get a set of walkie talkies. We use phones when cell service is good, but usually have to use the walkie talkies. Also important to not use terms like left and right, but use positive directions such as driver or passenger. You also need to agree which end these directions apply. I keep telling DW that I want her to tell me which direct the back end needs to go.

The Long Long Honeymoon folks posted a video a few years ago about this. Its directed towards backing up a trailer, but the concepts are still the same

Roadmaster Falcon All Terrain
RVi Brake 3
DenverTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 10:06 PM   #3

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
My wife and I use our phones, I put mine on speaker to leave my hands free plus I have a dash mount to hold the phone. Using a combination of phone and hand signals allows us to park in the tightest spots and maneuver safely. I discuss with my wife ahead of time where I want to end up and she guides me to that spot. I trust her signals and we both know not to get mad! Just takes practice and trust!!!
Old 06-10-2018, 10:08 PM   #4

Model: ACE 30.1
State: Colorado
THOR #5190
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
My wife and I use our phones, I put mine on speaker to leave my hands free plus I have a dash mount to hold the phone. Using a combination of phone and hand signals allows us to park in the tightest spots and maneuver safely. I discuss with my wife ahead of time where I want to end up and she guides me to that spot. I trust her signals and we both know not to get mad! Just takes practice and trust!!!
I often do the same thing. I'll get out and draw a line on the ground (when we have dirt) showing where the back wheels should be going. On pavement I might grab a couple of rocks to show the arc.
Roadmaster Falcon All Terrain
RVi Brake 3
DenverTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 10:50 PM   #5
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
We just scream at one another at full-volume: but it doesn't help all that much!
I'm seriously looking at a pair of those intercom headsets... For about 300 bucks: we can at least look as if we know what we're doing...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 11:42 PM   #6
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
We just scream at one another at full-volume: but it doesn't help all that much!
I'm seriously looking at a pair of those intercom headsets... For about 300 bucks: we can at least look as if we know what we're doing...
I just start backing and as long as the wife doesn't look panicked then I'm good.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 01:11 AM   #7

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
When we had the bus, my wife and I used walkie-talkie's, until she got so good at hand signals, that we just didn't need them. With the Gemini, I just back it in, as its more like parking a big van.
Old 06-11-2018, 01:15 AM   #8
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
I just start backing and as long as the wife doesn't look panicked then I'm good.
We must have gone to different High Schools together!
Old 06-11-2018, 01:25 AM   #9

Model: Four Winds 28z
State: Florida
THOR #5725
The best advice we got was to have her stand where I need to be in back and scream if I am going to hit anything. I just aim for her- Seems to help w the motivation[emoji1][emoji106]
Old 06-11-2018, 01:43 AM   #10

Model: Gemini 23TR
THOR #6701
When we had TT's and a 5th wheel we used walkie talkies. Now, like Laco I eyeball the spot and back it in. No issues. We do still carry the walks but haven't used them.
Old 06-11-2018, 01:51 AM   #11

Model: SOB 2014 Meridian 36M
State: Washington
THOR #7205
We mostly wave wildly at each other! LOL Not really... hand signals seem to work fine for us. We are still getting accustomed to leaving a little more room down the driver side for the slide. Never had a slide before.
Old 06-11-2018, 03:52 AM   #12

Model: S.O.B.
THOR #3483
Communicating

Walkie Talkies for sure. Sometimes have to remind that you need to wait a second after pushing the talk button so don't get cut off.
Old 06-11-2018, 04:52 AM   #13

State: Washington
THOR #6433
When we had our TT we used walkie talkies or our phones. I have found it’s easier with the class C as it’s just 32 foot and not 50 foot of truck and a trailer with a mind of its own. Personally I would rather not have the help as I can concentrate on how I want to do it
Old 06-11-2018, 11:16 AM   #14
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elite Washington View Post
When we had our TT we used walkie talkies or our phones. I have found it’s easier with the class C as it’s just 32 foot and not 50 foot of truck and a trailer with a mind of its own. Personally I would rather not have the help as I can concentrate on how I want to do it
Yeah that is the thing: When we had the 5th wheel it was a lot more difficult. With the Axis only 25ft or so usually the Wife and son just sit on a picnic table and wait until I have it in position.

The one thing I find really valuable: get out and look. I will pull up next to the site and park it. All of us get out and walk around the site discussing where we want the RV. When we (ok usually just the wife and I--the son parks his rear somewhere and tries to play with his phone) all understand where the RV will be parked then I get back in and back up the RV. At that point then the wife simply has to point out obstacles and let me know if I'm turning enough.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 12:03 PM   #15

Model: Challenger 37 LX
THOR #7853
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
.. Wife seems to make up new hand signals every time we go camping. Her favorite new one is to stand sideways motioning straight back (which looks like she wants me to move either left or right depending on which way she's standing) I just open the drivers window at that point and tell her holler if I about to hit something and back in on my own..

<'))))>(
RV Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 12:05 PM   #16

Model: Challenger 37 LX
THOR #7853
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazinskm View Post
The best advice we got was to have her stand where I need to be in back and scream if I am going to hit anything. I just aim for her- Seems to help w the motivation[emoji1][emoji106]
Bingo...LMAO same here

<'))))>(
RV Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 12:07 PM   #17
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
And they think that communication is the key to a successful marriage!
These folks never tried backing into a parking space with help!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 12:13 PM   #18

THOR #1249
I was told early on in camping that married couple backing RV is entertainment for other campers nearby.
Yeah, we use a pair of FRS with the volume low.
Old 06-11-2018, 12:35 PM   #19
Site Team

Brand: Crossroads
Model: CF32BL
State: Mississippi
THOR #121
This is a non win for us. Got the walkie takies first, than she dropped it and some how it got run over. Than Purchased the headset walkies they were not to clear. Her hand signals look like she is swating flies. Than I purchased a new tow truck with blue tooth this works well to an extent. How ever she stands where I can not see her and says turn that way have to get out at times and move her. The other problem is that she thinks a fifth wheel can be turned right now oh, I wish I still drank, than I would have a fifth sitting there to help
The wonder Schnauzers
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 12:38 PM   #20
Site Team

Model: Axis 24.1 Windjammer
State: Illinois
THOR #7074
At night Wife or Kids point a bright LED flashlight dot to the ground where my drivers rear corner should be. Works every time ! Only hand signal we use is outstretched hands palm facing palm , closing in showing how close I am till palms touch.
Hellwig 7718 Front Sway Bar & 7180 Rear Sway Bar
Koni FSD Front Shocks 8805-1042 / Koni FSD Rear Shocks 8805-1043
revjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote