Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-17-2019, 01:30 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Gemini 23TR
State: Quebec
THOR #8496
Carefree latitude awning auto closing

(Might be covered in an other thread if this is the case point me to it...thanks)

I have the Carefree Latitude awning that self retract under windy condition. I seldom use my awning but this weekend I discovered that it will not stay open.
After deploying the awning, it will close automatically after 1 to 3 minutes. There were no wind, nor rain to cause motion of any kind.
The awning is operated by Lippert OneControl touch panel.
Is there something wrong with the awning (sensor) or is it a "programming" problem or something else?
Anyone experience this situation?

Old 06-17-2019, 01:40 PM   #2

Model: Windsport 29m
State: North Carolina
THOR #9553
Can you disable or turn off the control??? Never seen that type or heard if that...
Old 06-17-2019, 03:14 PM   #3

THOR #8496
After reading both instructions carefully, carefree latitude awning and lippert OneControl touch panel, there is nothing that will allow to put the awning at the off position. Usual control for the awning is usually a two switch panel (one to open and close the awning and the other is a on and off switch) but the OneCotrol panel will only permit extend or retract. I’m beginning to suspect a compatibility issue...
Old 06-17-2019, 03:19 PM   #4

THOR #8496
The OneControl will operate the awning and extend it correctly but as you mentioned there is no off position. The awning chooses to close by itself after a few minutes. That being said, I have a support pole kit for the awning and will not use them if I do not have certainty that the awning will not choose to close (not being able to put it in the off mode.
Old 06-17-2019, 03:50 PM   #5

THOR #9553
?????? Sounds complicated to me. Call mfg.
Old 06-17-2019, 04:02 PM   #6

THOR #8496
I sense two problems; one with the awning that «*chooses*» to retract by itself, and the other one not being able to put the awning in the «*off*» mode with the OneControl touch panel. Already wrote to my dealer, to Crefree awnings, and to Lippert OneControl. I also will be probing Thor to check if I am the only one with this problem.
But as the saying goes inside the forum members’ knowledge lies the answer...
Old 06-17-2019, 05:17 PM   #7

Model: Serrano
State: Florida
THOR #8144
Sounds like you need to find the power line (12VDC) source to the awning and insert a switch anyway, if you want to be sure that it doesn't try to close automatically. That should be done especially if you use support poles or attach a screen room or shade screen. I have had a Dometic w/wind sensor and a Carefree with motion detection and even when they were 'turned off' they had minds of their own! So I don't attach anything to either unless I switch the power off to the motor.
Old 06-17-2019, 05:48 PM   #8

THOR #8496
Thanks Ford1. The switch is my plan B and I agree that these things sometime have a mind of their own and it is scary. Even if I want to use it on its basic function open/close, it chooses to close on its own after a few minutes. Having to cut the power for this simple task is mind blowing. I brought up the problem to the community, you never know... plus the plan B is to install a waterproof switch on the head cover of the awning where the motor is, on the live wire to make sure that no current is provided to the motor.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9E1F9334-062E-4C72-88E4-56EF108F570D.png
Views:	219
Size:	264.2 KB
ID:	18238  
Old 06-18-2019, 11:51 AM   #9

THOR #9553
This is just crazy. Mfg. should be held accountable....do you have a friend that's a attorney?? A well written letter should help!!!!
Old 06-20-2019, 03:01 PM   #10

THOR #8496
For those who showed interest in this post, I am providing the answer from Carefree Cie;
¨As far as we know, our awning cannot be controlled using a Lippert Control panel. Your awning should be equipped with a Carefree Direct Response which has its own controller....¨
Still waiting for Lippert comments and recommendations (if any).

Plan B (installing an on/off switch) will be the last option. If there is an incompatibility issue, they need to know about it and...fix it.
Old 06-20-2019, 04:13 PM   #11
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
So what did they have to say about it closing itself in the absence of any wind?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 06:03 PM   #12

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
The control module for the Latitude patio awning is in the right head next to the motor. The leads to the control module are red, black, brown, yellow and gray. Red is always hot unless the parking brake is depressed and black is the ground. Momentarily connecting the yellow and brown commands a full extension. Momentarily touching the wires together stops the extension. Momentarily connecting the yellow and gray wires commands a retraction. Touching then together again stops the retraction. Just how this is connected to a touch panel is unknown to me, as my coach has a Rapid Camp remote for controlling the patio awning.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 06:29 PM   #13

THOR #8496
Beau388 I investigated behind this front awning mechanism box and your explanation is dead on.

Bob Denman as far as retracting without a reason, no mention from Carefree. After reading some documentation sent by Carefree, the batteries in the motion sensor would partially retract the awning when close to depleted. Will change the batteries as soon as the rain stops (might be a few days lolll).
Old 06-21-2019, 12:11 AM   #14

Model: Citation
State: Texas
THOR #8139
Our awning was doing this ,it would close within seconds (some wind) or minutes (no wind).

After many searches I downloaded the manuals from carefree.
https://www.e-carefree.com/ecarefree30/product-library

The fix was to tighten the 2 locking screws, they were very loose.
Even the smallest gust would close the awning, not now!
Old 06-21-2019, 04:27 AM   #15

THOR #8496
Quote:
Originally Posted by abjbrtd View Post
Our awning was doing this ,it would close within seconds (some wind) or minutes (no wind).

After many searches I downloaded the manuals from carefree.
https://www.e-carefree.com/ecarefree30/product-library

The fix was to tighten the 2 locking screws, they were very loose.
Even the smallest gust would close the awning, not now!
Thanks abjbrtd, one of the locking screw was partially locked. I tighten both sides anyway and I will check the awning as soon as the rain stops. I'm keeping my fingers crossed... I'll keep you informed.