Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-15-2018, 06:59 AM   #41

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Europe
THOR #9936
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
yeah, same here. Everytime I driver my Axis people look at it when pass them on the road or at a stop lights when they pull up next to me.

I get great comments in parking lots /Gas stations from Non RVers..... Like "what is that? .....Its so cute" or "dude that thing looks awesome, What is it?". Lots of smiles.

I added Ford Triton V10 badges to the sides (under front side markers so it looks factory) so when I pull up to a pickup truck (at a stop light) the guys will take a double take.... I think the 2nd time they find the badge and say to themselves "that thing as a Ford v10 engine?".

I thought I had a better picture but these will do.
Nice, I got a couple of V10 badges and did exactly the same ! I also use wheel covers the same colour as our 25.2. Great minds.....

Old 08-23-2018, 12:09 AM   #42

State: Nevada
THOR #12329
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACEroad View Post
I am somewhat a newbie on here and want to know what is commonly referred to as the DW. I can guess the W is wife maybe and the D could be a thing that holds back water or maybe a dee. I should know before I use the term and spare getting a black eye. Maybe it means something else altogether.
thing that holds back water???? lol good chuckle right there...
Old 08-23-2018, 12:11 AM   #43

State: Nevada
THOR #12329
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulH View Post
Nice, I got a couple of V10 badges and did exactly the same ! I also use wheel covers the same colour as our 25.2. Great minds.....
I was gonna get 6.7 power stroke badges,.... you know, so when I do a motor swap;...
Old 08-23-2018, 01:06 AM   #44
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
The Vegas cons may also be corrected with a different Axis/Vegas floorplan.
But then you'd get different cons: like the floorplan.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 03:23 AM   #45

Model: 2018 Challenger 37 YT
State: Kentucky
THOR #8995
Bigger Unit

Vegas

So you got it, most just let it fly over their head
Old 08-23-2018, 11:22 AM   #46

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Kentucky
THOR #2817
I finally got it. Very good. (DW)
Old 08-23-2018, 12:43 PM   #47

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #5313
We have been back and forth over going bigger but Vegas keeps working great for the 2 of us and the dog. It is likely 95% now that we will keep the Vegas. We have been fortunate enough that Vegas has been a lot like when we bought new Chevy Suburban back in 2006. Bring it home, start using without major issue.

If nothing changes we will do following upgrades:

Add 2nd A/C to bedroom area. During hot summer days at track having 2nd A/C can offset door openings during race when temp climbs. It also adds redundancy during longer trips should center A/C fail.

Replace existing sway bars with heavier units.

Add Sumo springs to front.

Add air bags to rear suspension to offset settling. Unit sits about 3/8" lower than when brought home over 2 years ago.

Will replace entry door window with something I can see out of.

Will add vent to generator access cover to improve cooling to generator.

Replace convection/microwave with high end convection/toaster oven.

We can do all of this ourselves at minimal cost and make unit even more practical to use.

I am impressed at overall ease of use and simplicity of this machine. We have spent many nights in it now and beds still very comfortable. We tend to use drop down bunk as package shelf during stays at places like Fort Wilderness.

PS - The V-10 badge idea is killer, I will add to list!
Old 08-23-2018, 12:57 PM   #48
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalman View Post
I finally got it. Very good. (DW)
DW+ SWMBO...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 01:02 PM   #49

State: Texas
THOR #2121
I think you can’t go solely by size because spaciousness in motorhomes feels differently depending on how much stuff/crap is built into the floorplan. This is very evident when comparing Class Bs of identical size. When manufacturers try to fit larger cabinets, refrigerators, beds, etc. into same space, the unit seems far more crowed.

Earlier this week I was in a 26-ft classic A which has been stripped down to an empty shell, and it feels huge. I suggested to owner to consider a floorplan similar to Axis 24.1 but with slightly larger bathroom similar to that of 25.2. This classic doesn’t have a slide, so providing for “people” space is critical, as is with Class Bs.
Old 08-23-2018, 01:17 PM   #50
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
:I agree.
After all; it's not the size: it's how you use it!
Old 08-23-2018, 01:19 PM   #51
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Muggs: Perhaps you could add a hanging door to the inside of the door (like they put on garage doors that hang in strips). To keep the air in when the door is open.

Ah here is the term I'm looking for "Hanging Strip Curtains":
https://strip-curtains.com/order/PVC...RoCVHwQAvD_BwE
(Of course you wouldn't have to purchase that guy with all its angle iron, etc. You could fashion one up yourself that simply velcros to the top of the door.)

Then you won't get as much air exchange and perhaps save off the expense and effort of the rear A/C?
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 02:14 PM   #52

THOR #5313
We tried a strip curtain, helped only small amount. During summer races, Vegas sits in open sun. Temp will climb with activity. Adding 2nd A/C not big issue weight over bedroom is meaningless.

One of the more attractive points of the Vegas is GVW/GCVW. The gearing is such that adding extra weight carries virtually no operating cost penalty. My best MPG w/o 5500lb trailer is 11.1. With trailer is 10.7. On long pulls extra weight of trailer is not much if any impact. Power wise the extra weight slows accelleration but not enough to make unit sluggish, merging/passing still easy.

Another thing I learned from Cat scale is front axle is always pushing weight envelope. Adding anything beyond rear axle helps lighten front axle. I usually do not remove racecar associated stuff from rear compartment as there appears to be minimal penalty.

The heaviest we have been was a tad over 18,500 lbs GCVW, with Vegas close to 13,000 lbs by itself. Front axle was light at 4600. This was for trip to Gainesville race, empty waste tanks, full fresh and extra 50 gallons for 3 day race.

I have considered extra water tank behind gas tank. I was not able to get spare there. I may try again by deflating spare.

Discussing bigger unit, all we really get is more living space and a small amount more tank capacity unless we go huge. Going huge, we get possibility of tight fits and sinking into pit spaces. We like to pit on grass, paved pit spots are nice but reflected heat is crazy in summer. Bigger RVs tend to sink in rainy weather. In most circumstances, we are only in RV for cooking sleeping and extra space is not needed. We tend to use TV on outside as well. I have even considered outside shower stall to get past cramped for me shower. Wife is skinny and has no issue.
Old 08-23-2018, 03:03 PM   #53
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muggs View Post
One of the more attractive points of the Vegas is GVW/GCVW. The gearing is such that adding extra weight carries virtually no operating cost penalty. My best MPG w/o 5500lb trailer is 11.1. With trailer is 10.7. On long pulls extra weight of trailer is not much if any impact. Power wise the extra weight slows accelleration but not enough to make unit sluggish, merging/passing still easy.

Wow call yourself lucky: I've never had a mpg over 10. If I'm lucky I'll get something in the high 9's. Even when running slow w/o a toad downhill with a tailwind.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 03:12 PM   #54
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Perhaps at least some of it could be due to ambient temperatures??
The hotter it is outside: less fuel gets tossed into the mix!
Old 08-23-2018, 03:56 PM   #55

THOR #5313
The key for me has been drafting. Find a semi or bigger RV that you can stay just inside turbulent zone. With trailer connected seems turbulent zone moves back a little. Anything reducing direct into wind motion helps. When running alone it will drop below 10.
Old 08-23-2018, 03:58 PM   #56

THOR #5313
Mr. Denman, hotter inlet air, less available horsepower. The racecar can lose as much as a .1 in 1/8th mile winter/summer. Elevation also has big impact.
Old 08-23-2018, 04:13 PM   #57
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
That's because hotter air is less dense: it requires less fuel to make the mix seem right...

I agree: colder air means more horsepower!

(Tuned snowmobiles for over 40 years...)

and I'm just a "Bob"...
Old 08-23-2018, 05:21 PM   #58

THOR #5313
Interesting point. The best with trailer was coming through GA in November in cool weather. The best without trailer was in NC in June with generator. I think a lot of the MPG limitation is gear related. A tighter gear, 4.30 or 4.10 .may improve under some conditions. But it may cause lugging and loss of response. Be akin to keeping a motorcycle (two stroke) one gear lower to stay in powerband for roll on contests against buddies on 4 strokes. I used to ride/race Kawi triples.
Old 08-23-2018, 05:34 PM   #59
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
The H1; or the H2?

The H1 actually had a harder hit: when it climbed in the powerband...
Old 08-23-2018, 05:48 PM   #60

THOR #5313
Both, had H-1 on street. Ran D/Gas and C/Gas on both. Once modified porting the H-2 was no different, just stronger. Prior to them I had a 10" wheel minibike powered by a 650 CC Hirth twin. Ran in the X class at New England Dragway in early 70's. Cannot ride anything other than ATV now, carpel tunnel syndrome in both wrists.