Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-10-2018, 05:42 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Georgia
THOR #4735
yep, same here, except she does the dishes right before either I dump at the site, or drive over to the dump station. This is warm/hot water, and provides a great 'end' to the dump process. We even leave some of the leftover dishwater in the sink until after I dump, then allow it to drain into the tank so that the tank gets some 'washing' while driving home or to the next destination.

Old 08-10-2018, 08:05 PM   #22
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
yes!

the rush of water can certainly create a 'situation' you might not like - your hose outlet end coming off the outlet! I'd rather that be 'gray' water, if it does.
Gray first, then close and do Black, then finish with Gray... this way I never need to worry about 'cleaning' out the hose, it's already taken care of.

I've seen folks at dump stations, taking more time to 'carefully' rinse and clean out their hose than it took to actually dump... not fun when you're in 'line' to use the station, and more RVs are still to go.

I also don't use gloves(what!???)... how dare me!!
...when am I going to get something 'on me' when I'm dumping?
It doesn't happen. The hose is clean before I attach it. It gets 'cleaned' when I dump.

and, as you all have noticed plenty of times at dump stations, the sign that reads 'non-potable water, do not use for drinking', or similar. This is not because that 'water' comes from some 'unknown' dirty or recycled source, but it's simply because most folks are concerned that the previous 'dumpee' may have also used that water hose as attached to their RV's 'black water tank cleanout', and therefore 'might' have been exposed to some less-than-desirable elements. Or, the hose end was dropped onto the ground at the base of the sewer outlet, etc. I get it.
I think it's a little overkill, though, but enough have expressed dismay at this possibility that dump stations now add this signage, 'just in case', even if it's not that big of an issue, in reality.

by the way...have you seldom run across dump stations that already have their 'own' sewer hoses? This is nice, but I bet many folks won't use it because they think it's 'dirty', someone 'else' already used it, or it might 'contaminate' my own RV's outlet connection, as though your and my 'sewage' are somehow 'different'! wild!

I digress.
Don't cross the streams!
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 06:37 PM   #23

Brand: Still Looking
State: Oregon
THOR #1135
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucev View Post
And more often! The last time out, the connection pipe at the park had been melted so I could not screw it on my hose. Did the best I could but when I pulled the black valve, you guessed it. It wasn't real bad but I did stop at check out to tell them what happened and why.
I saw a neat item at the Gillette rally last month. It is called the Sewer Saddle Bag. It sounds like it could be some help for for many folks.
Has anyone used it?

Old 08-18-2018, 07:09 PM   #24
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
That's a neat idea! Buy you could probably make something yourself that would work as well...

I think that I'd bring along a buddy with some old shoes, and have him keep a foot on the connection...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 09:23 PM   #25

State: Oklahoma
THOR #8223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
I think that I'd bring along a buddy with some old shoes, and have him keep a foot on the connection...

I've heard of the "buddy system" before, but that's a different take on it!
Old 08-19-2018, 10:00 PM   #26

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Virginia
THOR #7607
Many of the dump stations in our area have a foot operated flapper that covers the hole when not in use. And if you let it flop down you get splashed with a little bit of "juice" lingering at the edge of the hole. I try to remember to be gentle with it when I'm finished...but sometimes I forget.
Old 08-19-2018, 10:25 PM   #27
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
NOTE TO SELF: Let The Missus play with the Flapper!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote