Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-25-2015, 02:55 PM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
Well in theory at least, the Horst sensors sound like a good intermediate solution - except that I suppose toilet tissue could still cling to them. The idea with the sensors is they use teflon, which wicks water away when they are above the water line. Gotta be better than the KiB probes.

At any rate, this is a simple and elegant solution (if they are reliable).

Now if they would only be in stock so I could order a set. For $30, I am willing to test them.

Old 02-25-2015, 03:23 PM   #42

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
I'm puzzled by the out of stock thing.... seems to be out everywhere.
curious....
maybe give the manufacturer a call?
Hope they haven't gone under. I've read good things.
Old 02-25-2015, 03:33 PM   #43
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
THOR #1150
Ordered parts for my homebrew version LOL. I figure with a computer controlling the LEDs on the panel I can also blink the highest one at different rates depending on how full the tank is (solid = really full LOL).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 03:50 PM   #44

THOR #908
look forward to see what you come up with Jamiegeek!
Old 02-25-2015, 05:12 PM   #45
Moderator Emeritus

THOR #531
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Ordered parts for my homebrew version LOL. I figure with a computer controlling the LEDs on the panel I can also blink the highest one at different rates depending on how full the tank is (solid = really full LOL).
If you are familiar with Arduino microcontrollers and know a little bit of the C programming language, you could make a really nice controller.
Old 02-25-2015, 05:15 PM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

THOR #531
Quote:
Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
I'm puzzled by the out of stock thing.... seems to be out everywhere.
curious....
maybe give the manufacturer a call?
Hope they haven't gone under. I've read good things.
One of the dealers indicated they expect shipment by Apr. I also sent the mfg an e-mail so I will see how they respond.

Otherwise, if they are out of business, it is simple enough to make your own. All you need is a bit of round teflon (PTFE) rod and some hardware. You can either re-use the KiB sensors by removing the bolt from the grommet, or buy new ones, which cost $2 each (I bought 5 last night).

Here is a demonstration of how the Horst sensor works:

Old 02-27-2015, 10:14 PM   #47
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Here is a picture of our black tank with the Tornado installed (was able to snap a pic today when I was hugging...er visiting the camper):
Old 02-28-2015, 01:09 AM   #48

THOR #908
You do that too?

That sure does seem like a waste of a perfectly good lovable door!
Old 02-28-2015, 01:28 AM   #49
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by blw2
You do that too?

That sure does seem like a waste of a perfectly good lovable door!
Do what?
Old 03-07-2015, 12:26 PM   #50
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by FW28z View Post
Actually, this is a project I will likely be doing next spring. As I always overkill every project I do, I bought both the Camco Tornado and the "No Fuss Flush" which was supposed to be made by Valterra, but Amazon sent me one made by Lakeview RV Supply. The Amazon ad says it's made by Valterra, but the packages do not say Valterra anywhere.
Recommendation - check the size of the holes in the nozzle. My last coach had a factory installed system that plugged because the nozzle hole size was too small. The solution to the problem was to over drill the nozzle holes by an additional 1/32nd inch. It might be easier to over drill 1/32 before installation rather than to install the system and then have to remove the system for cleaning and over drilling later. A lesson learned with my problem is to stay away from the treatments that come in "drop in" pod form. The plastic around the pod did not dissolve as advertised and plugged the nozzle. It is liquid only going forward.

As to the TP for use. I ran the tests on various brands to include the RV recommended papers and found that the only difference between Angel Soft and the RV TP is about 2.00 per pack. The Angel Soft in most cases dissolved better than the RV/camping toilet paper. Since my house is on an AOSS (high dollar septic system with air compressor, three tanks and agitator) the TP used in the house is more important/critical than what is used in the RV. In my case what's good for the house is more than good for the RV.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 12:33 PM   #51
Moderator Emeritus

THOR #531
Good info on the hole size of the nozzles. I plan on testing both of the nozzles I have with a water hose before I install them, and compare them to see which one seems to have the best pattern.

One thing Camco told me... they recommended Silicone sealant because that makes the nozzle removable so you can clean it. Having to clean the clean out nozzle does not seem a job I would want to do. Once I put that thing in there, I don't want to take it out.

Seems I recall seeing someone on YouTube actually running tests on different TP brands, and they came to the same conclusion that some of the household brands dissolved better than the RV stuff.

When we had boats, the dock-wisdom was to simply use single-ply TP.
Old 03-16-2015, 09:48 PM   #52
Moderator Emeritus

THOR #531
If anyone is interested, I found several of the Valterra brand model A70 rinse nozzles in the discount bin at my local Camping World - for $7.

This does not necessarily mean you will find the same thing at your nearest CW, but if they are discontinuing them - perhaps you might.

Since I live 50mi from my nearest CW, it isn't convenient for me to pick them up for anyone. Prolly should have bought them when I was there.
Old 03-20-2015, 04:38 PM   #53
Moderator Emeritus

THOR #531
In anyone is interested, Horst Miracle Probes are back in stock, at least available from www.rv-partsplus.com

Apparently they are now being distributed by Valterra, and they were a bit delayed in the printing of the card that is part of the packaging. But the dealer I bought them from convinced the company to ship the probes with a print out of the card. So the ones I got lacked the packaging.

Was a bit expensive for shipping though. It was $12, but from Canada, so probably international rates applied.

It came to be rather expensive; $77 for a set of grey and black sensors plus shipping. But I now have a reprieve as I can put them in so I don't have to rush building an adapter like JamieGeek is doing.

Now I can take my time designing a new panel or adapter for a panel without feeling the need to rush it.
Old 03-20-2015, 06:25 PM   #54
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by FW28z
I don't have to rush building an adapter like JamieGeek is doing.
Hmm I didn't think I was "rushing" so much as my project is an excuse to tinker with an Arduino in addition to improving the black tank measurements. (It also has provided a convenient excuse to mess around with the camper in the middle of winter ! LOL)

Since our camper is only a year old the current probe system is perfectly functional--the year bumper to bumper warranty has only just expired.
Old 03-20-2015, 11:23 PM   #55
Moderator Emeritus

THOR #531
I guess I was emphasizing that while not quite on the back burner, the project is more long term. I really want to play with the graphic displays (I ordered two different models).

I didn't mean to suggest you were rushing per-se (forgive me if that is how it sounded), but it seems you are way ahead of me in the development of a solution.

I was having trouble last year with false readings, so the Horst probes will at least buy me time to tinker with the project that it deserves.

And I have so many other projects to complete before hand (at the direction of my domestic parole officer).
Old 03-20-2015, 11:45 PM   #56
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
LOL my better half hasn't really ordered any specific RV projects, so I've been lucky there. About all she indicated was she really liked the idea of the sun shade:
RV Windshield Covers by Sunguard Shade Products
(Of course I now have one of those on order too LOL.)
Old 03-21-2015, 11:39 AM   #57
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
For Axis/Vegas owners: To install the Hosrt probes you may have to drill new holes in the tank. This is due to the Axis/Vegas using spin welded probes. See here for more info:
Install a Spin Fitting into an RV Holding Tank
Old 03-21-2015, 12:44 PM   #58
Moderator Emeritus

THOR #531
That is interesting.

My tanks have the rubber well nuts. I suppose Thor found a yet cheaper way to do things. But they are not the only one that spin-welds.

I think manufacturers even spin-weld pipe fittings unto tanks.
Old 04-06-2015, 02:09 PM   #59

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Tennessee
THOR #1434
Jamie

Does the tornado work well located in this position on the black tank? It looks like there is plenty of room to close the the hatch without hitting the hose fitting. It seems like it would be a bear to install on the far right end opposite the drain.
I've reviewed the guys video comparing the three most popular flush units and the tornado won "hands down".
Old 04-17-2015, 04:13 PM   #60
Moderator Emeritus

THOR #531
An interesting development.

I bought both the Camco Tornado and Valterra tank nozzles as I am going to install one of them in my holding tank. However, before making the decision on which one to install, I tried a little test:

Notwithstanding that my neighbors now think I am certified for the loony bin, I setup a simple test, and ran both sprayers. I came up with a surprising conclusion.

The Camco unit failed the test.

The tornado spinner did not spin at all. When I looked at the directions, it requires 40~60psi to work. But attaching my RV water pressure gauge (if it is accurate) to my test setup, it registered around 35psi (I tried the test with and without the gauge to make sure it was not reducing pressure).

So my conclusion is that with lower water pressure, the Camco unit may not sufficiently clean the tank insides. At a high pressure, it will probably do a great job, but I cannot rely on sufficient pressure to always be available at the dump station.

I tried different orifices (cut-outs) in the gasket of the hose to try and increase pressure, but all it did was reduce water flow (which is an unfortunate by-product). At any rate, the nozzles in the Tornado would do that anyway.

So I think I am going to install the Valterra unit, simply because I can rely on it in any water pressure situation.