Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-16-2017, 05:03 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
THOR #8359
locked inside

This is our 5th time using the 2016 Thor. We got locked inside our motor home. My husband went out the emergency exit with the keys to see if he could open it. NOPE.. the key turned but the door did not open.. The latch inside the door had broken, and it would not pull the bolt back to open the door. We unscrewed it from the inside and still was not able to move the latch back to release the door open. We ended up prying the door with a crow bar, and it still would not open.. then we had to get some thin object to wedge in from both sides to move the latch back behind the metal door jam in order for it to finally open. Lets just say I had to drive home with my door closed with a bungee. Now I called the place where I got it and let them know what happen and they better get it covered by Thor. My guarantee expired in March 2017 but I have had a few other things fall apart inside that they are covering but were not able to get me in to fix them till the 24th of this month. Now that I see a few other people have had this problem I hope they cover it. I did go to a RV show and saw that they have changed the locks, not only on the doors but on the storage as well. Wish me luck.. Here are a few pictures
Attached Files

Old 07-16-2017, 11:09 AM   #2

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
The company that makes those locks has two different styles, one is made from cast zinc and is prone to breaking, the other is steel, much sturdier. Even if you have to pay for the replacement yourself get the steel model!

Hope you got the emergency window back in, normally it falls out and breaks when you open it. If your window didn't break it's normally a real PIA to put back in, but you've probably already figured that out by now.
Old 07-16-2017, 04:53 PM   #3

THOR #8359
locked in

The window is on a hing.. so it do not fall out. I will update once I find out on the 24th... it was some kind of steel with a plastic piece and the teeth of the steel broke off in the plastic.. ugh.
Old 07-16-2017, 05:01 PM   #4
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Yep, you're not the first to have this problem. I have a 2016 ACE and from your video The lock looks the same. I guess I need to disassemble it to see which internals I have.
Old 07-16-2017, 05:13 PM   #5

Model: Axis 25.2
THOR #4466
Quote:
The company that makes those locks has two different styles, one is made from cast zinc and is prone to breaking, the other is steel, much sturdier. Even if you have to pay for the replacement yourself get the steel model!
Are there different model numbers for zinc or steel parts? What I found on Amazon didn't describe internals. I don't mind paying for the lock if it is an upgrade but how do I know that's what I'm getting?
Old 07-16-2017, 05:20 PM   #6

THOR #8359
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfryman View Post
Yep, you're not the first to have this problem. I have a 2016 ACE and from your video The lock looks the same. I guess I need to disassemble it to see which internals I have.

This is the new locks that I saw at the RV Show this weekend..
Old 07-16-2017, 05:21 PM   #7

THOR #8359
New Lock

This is a picture of the new locks I saw this weekend at a show..
Old 07-16-2017, 05:39 PM   #8

THOR #4466
Now I'm getting paranoid. Is this a problem of poor design or hard use. as in slamming the door shut without operating the latch? Regardless, it shouldn't break that easily. Being unable to discern the zinc internals latch from the better steel internals latch by any model numbers, I sent an email to Tri Mark describing the problem and solution recommended, asking for model numbers and where to purchase. Can't wait to see what they have to say. Here's a link to their site. If the problem is that common, maybe they should be getting a flood of emails or calls along with Thor.

TriMark Corporation - Latch, Handle, Linkage, Electronic, Hinge, Vehicle door hardware
Old 07-16-2017, 05:42 PM   #9

THOR #4466
Quote:
Originally Posted by wendyvalentine View Post
This is a picture of the new locks I saw this weekend at a show..
Can't see the picture. Am I alone?
Old 07-16-2017, 05:46 PM   #10

Model: 2015 ACE 29.3
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #4359
I just replaced mine.
See attached lock thread

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f4/...html#post77979
Old 07-16-2017, 05:55 PM   #11

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by wendyvalentine View Post
The window is on a hing.. so it do not fall out. I will update once I find out on the 24th... it was some kind of steel with a plastic piece and the teeth of the steel broke off in the plastic.. ugh.
You're lucky, if we open ours it's designed to fall out, then it usually breaks!!!
Old 07-16-2017, 06:46 PM   #12

Model: Challenger 37GT
State: Texas
THOR #2953
Ours broke also. To open the door, I removed the inside frame. Then I could get to the broken latch. We replaced with a Baur lock that has a keypad on yhe outside.
Old 10-14-2018, 12:24 AM   #13

Model: 34F
State: Oklahoma
THOR #8432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderdog View Post
Are there different model numbers for zinc or steel parts? What I found on Amazon didn't describe internals. I don't mind paying for the lock if it is an upgrade but how do I know that's what I'm getting?
Well, quick way is to get a magnet and if it picks up the lock, it's steel . I learned this little gem of info, oh the hard way.
Old 10-14-2018, 12:28 AM   #14

Model: 2016 Axis 25.2
THOR #12340
I ordered a new "upgraded" lock #1650 from Amazon and when it arrived it was a 650 and had the pot metal mechanism. I had to send it back. It took nearly 2 months to get my refund. I'll be ordering a Baur before our next trip.
Old 10-14-2018, 12:58 AM   #15

Model: Gemini 23TR
THOR #6701
Quote:
Originally Posted by csseeker View Post
I ordered a new "upgraded" lock #1650 from Amazon and when it arrived it was a 650 and had the pot metal mechanism. I had to send it back. It took nearly 2 months to get my refund. I'll be ordering a Baur before our next trip.
Months ago I disassembled my lock to see what I had. It is non-metallic and it has the part number #1650. So you just don't know what you will get from TriMark.

Actually after reviewing me pictures the part number on mine was #29412-07J which according to Trimark is a #1650. But should be steel and isn't.
Old 10-14-2018, 01:18 AM   #16

Model: Gemini 23TR
THOR #6701
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1539479809
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1397.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	13494  
Old 10-14-2018, 03:07 PM   #17

Model: Quantum RS26
THOR #10823
They changed something between years for sure. The inside portion of the latch on our 2018 is white rather than the black shown in your video. The two red manual lock levers are located different and the handle opens the door only by lifting up on it, I guess so it won't open by accident if you stumble on the step well. So far it's been trouble free. Don't know if it will interchange with the older models.
Old 10-14-2018, 03:12 PM   #18

Model: Quantum RS26
THOR #10823
I just checked the link to TriMark Corp. Ours appears to be the 030-0900. Supposed to be adaptable to power operation????