Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-24-2017, 08:33 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
mprumsey's Avatar
 
State: California
Posts: 12
THOR #8002
Black water tank gate valve

I bought a new gate valve about a month ago to replace a broken valve. I installed it and was happy how easy it was. After a month it started sticking and to the point that it was going to break. I decided to take it off and check things out. Once I got it off it was completely dry off any lube which was making the valve hard to operate, so i read that petroleum jelly should be used but I didn't have any so I used some red gear axle grease and I put it together and works great. I hope that this will be ok. Has anyone ever used this kind of lube on this valve before?
__________________

__________________
mprumsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 08:38 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
SuperD's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
Posts: 3,608
THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by mprumsey View Post
I bought a new gate valve about a month ago to replace a broken valve. I installed it and was happy how easy it was. After a month it started sticking and to the point that it was going to break. I decided to take it off and check things out. Once I got it off it was completely dry off any lube which was making the valve hard to operate, so i read that petroleum jelly should be used but I didn't have any so I used some red gear axle grease and I put it together and works great. I hope that this will be ok. Has anyone ever used this kind of lube on this valve before?
Some petroleum based greases will degrade the o-rings over a period of time. The best lube is silicone grease, you can get it at most electrical suppliers.
__________________

__________________
USMC Veteran
FMCA 101070S

Dave & Myra
One day your life will flash before your eyes,
make sure it's worth watching!
SuperD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 09:05 PM   #3
Junior Member
 
mprumsey's Avatar
 
State: California
Posts: 12
THOR #8002
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
Some petroleum based greases will degrade the o-rings over a period of time. The best lube is silicone grease, you can get it at most electrical suppliers.
Thank you, I will change it out.
__________________
mprumsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 10:51 AM   #4
Junior Member
 
Brand: Still Looking
State: North Carolina
Posts: 12
THOR #5767
Black Water Valve

is it easy to change the black water valve? Once you take out the 4 bolts does the area open up easily to remove the old and install the new. Thanks
__________________
Howard1257 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 01:26 PM   #5
Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 31D
State: Virginia
Posts: 72
THOR #5638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard1257 View Post
is it easy to change the black water valve? Once you take out the 4 bolts does the area open up easily to remove the old and install the new. Thanks
Depends on how buried the valve is in the underside of the coach and how much movement there is with the pipes. You only need maybe 1/8 of wiggle room to spread the ends of the valve flange to slide the old out and new in.

Regarding a stiff dump valve I read a write of an owner adding a zerk fitting to the area the paddle slides into which worked to keep the seals and stem lubricated. I haven't needed to go this deep into the valve. Spraying the stem of open valve with silicone lubricant has worked well.

Mark My Words: Holes in the Roof, Stuck Dump Valves and Hose Fittings
__________________
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53
Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 02:49 PM   #6
Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Fourwind Super C
State: Florida
Posts: 30
THOR #11938
Dump a cup of olive oil in your black tank with a couple gal of water let sit a weekend or drive to next destination then flush. Also keep a couple gal of water in your tanks even after dumping or while stored. I also make sure there is water in the bottom of the bowl all the time to keep seals wet.
__________________

__________________
Fourwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




All times are GMT. The time now is 05:56 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2