Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-24-2017, 08:33 PM   #1

State: California
THOR #8002
Black water tank gate valve

I bought a new gate valve about a month ago to replace a broken valve. I installed it and was happy how easy it was. After a month it started sticking and to the point that it was going to break. I decided to take it off and check things out. Once I got it off it was completely dry off any lube which was making the valve hard to operate, so i read that petroleum jelly should be used but I didn't have any so I used some red gear axle grease and I put it together and works great. I hope that this will be ok. Has anyone ever used this kind of lube on this valve before?

Old 06-24-2017, 08:38 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by mprumsey View Post
I bought a new gate valve about a month ago to replace a broken valve. I installed it and was happy how easy it was. After a month it started sticking and to the point that it was going to break. I decided to take it off and check things out. Once I got it off it was completely dry off any lube which was making the valve hard to operate, so i read that petroleum jelly should be used but I didn't have any so I used some red gear axle grease and I put it together and works great. I hope that this will be ok. Has anyone ever used this kind of lube on this valve before?
Some petroleum based greases will degrade the o-rings over a period of time. The best lube is silicone grease, you can get it at most electrical suppliers.

Dave & Myra
One day your life will flash before your eyes,
make sure it's worth watching!
SuperD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 09:05 PM   #3

State: California
THOR #8002
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
Some petroleum based greases will degrade the o-rings over a period of time. The best lube is silicone grease, you can get it at most electrical suppliers.
Thank you, I will change it out.