Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-24-2017, 08:33 PM   #1

State: California
THOR #8002
Black water tank gate valve

I bought a new gate valve about a month ago to replace a broken valve. I installed it and was happy how easy it was. After a month it started sticking and to the point that it was going to break. I decided to take it off and check things out. Once I got it off it was completely dry off any lube which was making the valve hard to operate, so i read that petroleum jelly should be used but I didn't have any so I used some red gear axle grease and I put it together and works great. I hope that this will be ok. Has anyone ever used this kind of lube on this valve before?

Old 06-24-2017, 08:38 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by mprumsey View Post
I bought a new gate valve about a month ago to replace a broken valve. I installed it and was happy how easy it was. After a month it started sticking and to the point that it was going to break. I decided to take it off and check things out. Once I got it off it was completely dry off any lube which was making the valve hard to operate, so i read that petroleum jelly should be used but I didn't have any so I used some red gear axle grease and I put it together and works great. I hope that this will be ok. Has anyone ever used this kind of lube on this valve before?
Some petroleum based greases will degrade the o-rings over a period of time. The best lube is silicone grease, you can get it at most electrical suppliers.
Old 06-24-2017, 09:05 PM   #3

THOR #8002
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
Some petroleum based greases will degrade the o-rings over a period of time. The best lube is silicone grease, you can get it at most electrical suppliers.
Thank you, I will change it out.
Old 04-23-2019, 10:51 AM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
State: North Carolina
THOR #5767
Black Water Valve

is it easy to change the black water valve? Once you take out the 4 bolts does the area open up easily to remove the old and install the new. Thanks
Old 04-23-2019, 01:26 PM   #5

Model: Hurricane 31D
State: Virginia
THOR #5638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard1257 View Post
is it easy to change the black water valve? Once you take out the 4 bolts does the area open up easily to remove the old and install the new. Thanks
Depends on how buried the valve is in the underside of the coach and how much movement there is with the pipes. You only need maybe 1/8 of wiggle room to spread the ends of the valve flange to slide the old out and new in.

Regarding a stiff dump valve I read a write of an owner adding a zerk fitting to the area the paddle slides into which worked to keep the seals and stem lubricated. I haven't needed to go this deep into the valve. Spraying the stem of open valve with silicone lubricant has worked well.

Mark My Words: Holes in the Roof, Stuck Dump Valves and Hose Fittings
Old 04-23-2019, 02:49 PM   #6

Model: Fourwind Super C
State: Florida
THOR #11938
Dump a cup of olive oil in your black tank with a couple gal of water let sit a weekend or drive to next destination then flush. Also keep a couple gal of water in your tanks even after dumping or while stored. I also make sure there is water in the bottom of the bowl all the time to keep seals wet.
Old 02-22-2022, 05:08 PM   #7

State: Rhode Island
THOR #11834
Tight Black Tank Valve

The valve to my black water is tight to both open and close. I bought Valve lubricant and it sat in my tank for several months while RV stored, before I left for Florida. I added more after I flushed out tanks when I arrived at my destination and added Happy Camper and a couple of gallons of water. It's still difficult to open and close. Any suggestions? I have given a thought to spray handle area with WD40 silicone.
Old 02-22-2022, 05:52 PM   #8

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichRob View Post
The valve to my black water is tight to both open and close. I bought Valve lubricant and it sat in my tank for several months while RV stored, before I left for Florida. I added more after I flushed out tanks when I arrived at my destination and added Happy Camper and a couple of gallons of water. It's still difficult to open and close. Any suggestions? I have given a thought to spray handle area with WD40 silicone.
I had a gray valve that just kept getting stiffer and stiffer regardless of how much silicone spray I put on the stem or the seal. Finally, had enough and changed it out. Remove 4 bolts, replace valve and presto no more sticky valve.
$20 for the valve, half hour of my time. Should have done it after the silicone spray did not improve the operation
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 07:24 PM   #9
MLP

THOR #17478
What are you using to treat your tank. Some put in dish soap. That is a great degreaser. I have been using Happy Camper and do not have valve sticking problems. By the way, you can also order the seals for the valves and just replace the seals. Some have found that dry silicone lube on the top of the shaft with enough to get to the shaft seal fixes the hard stick. So things can stick on the main knife blade with it's seals and sometimes the shaft/shaft seal as well. If the seals stick hard enough, they can be pulled out from their seated position and then will have to be replaced. The valves can leak through the sides of the valve. I was lucky it was the gray water! This happened twice to me with my fifth wheel before I started using Happy Camper.
Old 02-22-2022, 07:57 PM   #10

State: Rhode Island
THOR #11834
Empty the tank?

I assume that the tank must be empty before replacing the valve. In that case I may have to wait till April, when I'm back home and everything has been flushed out.
Old 02-23-2022, 03:14 AM   #11
MLP

THOR #17478
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichRob View Post
I assume that the tank must be empty before replacing the valve. In that case I may have to wait till April, when I'm back home and everything has been flushed out.
I raised the drivers side to tilt the rig at home and drained the remainder that fills the pipe as you drive before the drain valve. Then lower it and raise the passenger side to help keep the drips down as I do the work. I use throwaway gloves from Harbor Freight.
Old 02-24-2022, 12:34 PM   #12

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
2 different issues

One issue is with the valve blade sticking in the seal itself in the waste valve. The other is a sticking cable or rod. Some of the issues on this thread are the cable or rod and it's caused by corrosion. The remedy is get some cable lubricant into the cable housing so the inner cable will slide in the outer housing. Generally speaking the worst solution a manufacturer does is make a long winding cable. The best is a direct pull with a short rod but either can become corroded and require lubricating. If the cable/rod is sticking, all the "in-tank" treatments and lubricants will do nothing.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 10:31 PM   #13

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Kentucky
THOR #2817
I use silicon grease on the seal in the toilet bowl (once a year) and keep water or antifreeze in it when storing.