Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-16-2017, 01:15 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Wisconsin
THOR #8797
Question Blind Spot Detection Questions

Hello All,

I wanted to get an idea for everyone’s thoughts on Blind Spot Detection either coming standard on all RV mirrors straight from the RV manufacturer, or as an option to upgrade mirrors currently on your RV.

Note: When referring to BSD, I mean having an icon in your mirror that flashes if someone is in your blind spot when making a lane change.

Questions are as follows (please reply to any or all):

1. Do you think BSD will benefit RV drivers, increasing their awareness
and safety?

2. Do you consider it a useful technology?

3. Do you think BSD should come standard on all RV’s out of the factory?

4. Would you prefer to purchase an RV with BSD or the same model RV
with no BSD option?

5. Everything else being somewhat comparable, would you prefer to
purchase one RV model with BSD over the other RV model with no
BSD?

6. Would you prefer a visual blind spot icon flash only, or a subtle audio
cue as well?

7. Does your RV currently have BSD?

8. Would you replace your current RV mirror with one that offered BSD
built in?

Old 08-16-2017, 01:54 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Colorado
THOR #5477
If mirrors are set up correctly there is no blind spot. My 29m has the cameras; I don't use them.
Old 08-16-2017, 02:13 PM   #3

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
agreed. Nearly useless unless mirrors are set up incorrectly.

My wife's Enclave has those lights and the only situation I have been able to determine where it might be useful is
at night
with no street lights or ambient light
and a motorcycle over there beside you with their lights OFF

Otherwise, if the light is on, I can see the hazard already visually...in fact I see the car in the mirror with peripheral vision without taking my eyes off the road in front....and it's not till I turn to look at the mirror do I see the light.....
.....so what's the point?
Old 08-16-2017, 02:33 PM   #4
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
As mentioned most RVs these days come with the side cameras that engage with the turn signal. This functionality essentially provides a "poor mans BSD".

In most cases if you adjust the mirrors correctly it isn't necessary.

As for your questions/survey:
1. No more so than the current camera systems provided
2. It can be: My wife's car has it
3. Not really as many already have the 3 camera setup
4. Other features would be a priority (and quality! LOL)
5. Isn't this the same question as 4? Answer is the same: Other features would determine that
6. Doesn't matter
7. Yes in the 3-camera setup
8. No: I wouldn't go actively looking for one (as mentioned in questions 4, and 5)

Honestly: I'd rather wait 10 years and pick up an RV that could drive itself to the campground while I sit in the kitchen eating lunch
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 02:47 PM   #5

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
In my opinion vehicles are getting WAY too many gadgets so the driver doesn't have to pay attention & can be texting/talking on the phone while the vehicle provides all the warnings.
If got grandkids that can't back up into anywhere if I block the rear camera, they can't do it with only mirrors.
So my answer is NO, if by chance it came with them I'd use them, but WOULD NOT pay extra for them.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 02:57 PM   #6

Model: Challenger 37LX
THOR #7863
Between the mirror cams and the excellent mirrors themselves, I don't see a need for BSD.

I do have it on my 2016 F-150, and it's nice.

Now, what I WOULD love to have on my Challenger that's on my F-150 is the lane keeper system.

It has a display in the center of my gauge cluster that shows lines for the lane I'm in. The lines will individually be white, green or red, telling me that I'm inside my lane or not. It's a nice to have gadget on the pickup that I don't really use, but I'd use it regularly on the RV.
The only thing necessary for evil to prosper,
Is that good men do nothing.
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 03:21 PM   #7

Model: 22FE
State: Washington
THOR #8606
I have blind spot ind. on an automobile and also front cameras. I will never become totally confident on them. The bsd do not work correctly when the sun is shining at a certain angle, giving false reading. Cams do not work when they get rain and road debris on them. It's a good idea but just like a self braking system on some autos, some people will become to dependent on them and takes away one's total attention as to what's going on around them. IMO: they are a good "secondary" system only. Would I pay extra for them on a M.H.? Maybe, depending on the price for them.
Old 08-17-2017, 12:59 AM   #8
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
I find with properly set mirrors - I really have no blind spot down either side... Cameras show the same things the mirrors do (and less reliably).
A flashing light to tell me there is something there I can already see is just a distraction to me.
Directly to the rear is the only 'blind' spot mirror wise... and working camera addresses that.

Based on that:
1. Do you think BSD will benefit RV drivers, increasing their awareness
and safety? No

2. Do you consider it a useful technology? No

3. Do you think BSD should come standard on all RV’s out of the factory? No (many other things I would rather pay more for than that)

4. Would you prefer to purchase an RV with BSD or the same model RV
with no BSD option? No preference - wouldn't be a deciding factor

5. Everything else being somewhat comparable, would you prefer to
purchase one RV model with BSD over the other RV model with no
BSD? No preference - wouldn't be a deciding factor

6. Would you prefer a visual blind spot icon flash only, or a subtle audio
cue as well? A subtle audio cue over the sound of the V-10 revving?? Maybe in a DP...

7. Does your RV currently have BSD? Yes - the drivers eyes on mirrors.

8. Would you replace your current RV mirror with one that offered BSD
built in? No.. The cost of RV mirrors is ridiculous enough - I can't imaging with BSD built in.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 01:09 AM   #9

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in AZ View Post
Between the mirror cams and the excellent mirrors themselves, I don't see a need for BSD.

I do have it on my 2016 F-150, and it's nice.

Now, what I WOULD love to have on my Challenger that's on my F-150 is the lane keeper system.

It has a display in the center of my gauge cluster that shows lines for the lane I'm in. The lines will individually be white, green or red, telling me that I'm inside my lane or not. It's a nice to have gadget on the pickup that I don't really use, but I'd use it regularly on the RV.
Supposedly the new GARMIN dash cam has this feature... Thinking of looking into it (That's all I need is another gadget) But, I do have two more USB outlets under the dash
Old 08-17-2017, 01:44 AM   #10

THOR #7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo_Mike View Post
Supposedly the new GARMIN dash cam has this feature... Thinking of looking into it (That's all I need is another gadget) But, I do have two more USB outlets under the dash
That's interesting! I have a Garmin for RV, but I just did some Googling. There are dashcams that aren't a GPS/map system but do have such lane keefeatures. This one looks promising.

http://a.co/boL2lwR
Old 08-17-2017, 02:15 AM   #11

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
All dash cams have a primary function, videography of what's in front, and in some cases what's behind you. You can spend hundreds of dollars on a device that may or may not ever capture anything worthwhile. https://www.amazon.com/YI-1080P60-Da...ds=yi+dash+cam
This cam is $50, has good reviews and good video along with a free smartphone app.

My GMC Yukon has all kinds of lane detection, vehicle distance detection, and blind spot detection, I don't use any of it. I use my mirrors and that swivel device just below my head. I installed a 9" quad view monitor in the coach that allows all three cameras to be used at the same time. I keep the monitor set to the rear camera only, if I want to see what's beside me I look in the mirrors.

I developed the habit a long time ago of being constantly being aware of where traffic is around me in case of an emergency, I can see more around me with the mirrors than I can with the cameras.
Old 08-17-2017, 02:18 AM   #12

THOR #7863
I expect it to get better with experience, but right now my biggest challenge is staying inside the lines. So I'm considering this to aid me in doing that.
Old 08-17-2017, 02:28 AM   #13

State: Tennessee
THOR #7227
Quote:
I expect it to get better with experience, but right now my biggest challenge is staying inside the lines. So I'm considering this to aid me in doing that.

If staying in the lane is the issue the suggestion about finding the spots on the dash to keep the centerline is my go to activity. When the road is busy and there is no room for error that is my strategy. That ensures I am in my lane unless they paint the lines wrong or I am using the wrong line. Changing lanes is a different story altogether, that's where you need mirrors or cameras or blind spot monitoring but fortunately I have no blind spot in the RV. This is not true in other vehicles I own so I am glad for the blind spot monitoring in those vehicles.
Old 08-17-2017, 02:39 AM   #14

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Quote:
If you glance at your convex mirrors occasionally you can see where your coach is in relation to the lines. Look back at the road in front of you and see where your head is in relation to the lane. It just takes time behind the wheel to get used to driving a wide vehicle, after a while you won't even have to think about it.

With a bigger coach you need to be concerned more about tail swing when turning, especially in traffic at lights and stop signs. When you turn your wheels may stay in the lane but your tail end will be crossing the line in to the other lane and could hit another vehicle. There are several good videos on YouTube that show the dynamics of tail swing.
Old 08-17-2017, 02:53 AM   #15

State: Tennessee
THOR #7227
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
If you glance at your convex mirrors occasionally you can see where your coach is in relation to the lines. Look back at the road in front of you and see where your head is in relation to the lane. It just takes time behind the wheel to get used to driving a wide vehicle, after a while you won't even have to think about it.

With a bigger coach you need to be concerned more about tail swing when turning, especially in traffic at lights and stop signs. When you turn your wheels may stay in the lane but your tail end will be crossing the line in to the other lane and could hit another vehicle. There are several good videos on YouTube that show the dynamics of tail swing.

Super D is right about city traffic. I was thinking about interstate or highways but cities are a bit more challenging. He is also correct that time behind the wheel makes it much better.
Old 08-17-2017, 07:05 AM   #16

THOR #7863
Thanks for the tips!

Tags
accidents, blind spot, safety