Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 05-04-2016, 10:22 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: New Jersey
THOR #4184
BTU Capacity for LP appliances

Good Evening!
Our Axis 24.1 is due to be delivered in a couple weeks. I obviously have too much time on my hands as I am trying to estimate LP usage . I have not been able to find the BTU capacity of the water heater and refrigerator to finish my calculation. Oh yes ... and the stove top would be another potential use of LP (no oven). Could anyone supply these capacities? Also, are there any other appliances that use LP that I missed?

Thank you !

Old 05-05-2016, 01:20 AM   #2

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
Can't help with BTUs, but the biggest LP hog is the furnace, if it's very cold we could go through a 30#/7gal bottle in 5-7 days. We typically are on electricity so we run everything on elec. except during travel. With the coldest part of the year gone I will probably not need to purchase LP til Dec.-Jan for next winter & we only have 14 gals onboard.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 01:35 AM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
In our 24.1 the first time we took it camping was in April 2014 right after we purchased it. That weekend the temps were around freezing. We ended up using all of the propane for heat.

Since then we usually use a tank of propane in a season..!
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 02:06 AM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Furnace for Axis is rated at 30,000 BTU/hour according to specs. That's a lot of gas.
Old 05-06-2016, 12:06 AM   #5

THOR #4184
I knew the furnace would have the potential to be a hog. We are headed up the UP of Michigan in September. It sounds like I need to come with a full tank!! Thank you gentlemen for your comments , it puts it into perspective!
Old 05-06-2016, 01:35 AM   #6
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by sepesce
I knew the furnace would have the potential to be a hog. We are headed up the UP of Michigan in September. It sounds like I need to come with a full tank!! Thank you gentlemen for your comments , it puts it into perspective!
Whereabouts? If its Houghton, stay at the City of Houghton RV park--one of our favorite campgrounds in the UP. If you are at a campground with electric hookups bring a small electric heater.

If you are going early September you may be ok; later in the month may be a bit more troublesome.
Old 05-06-2016, 06:49 PM   #7

THOR #4184
Hi Jamie,

Thanks for the recommendation! Our trip will be the end of August, first of September time frame. It will be my first time in the UP and we are planning to check out the "Porkies" that name always makes me smile. Then head to Pictured Rock National Lakeshore, head down to RT 2 and over to Mackinaw then back to Jersey. Houghton could be a stop between the Porkies and the PRNL. I'm a lake girl so I'm looking forward to visiting the Mother of all Lakes!
Old 05-06-2016, 06:55 PM   #8
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
We were up there at the beginning of August last year and it was just gorgeous (weather and scenery).