Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2017, 10:50 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 29.0
State: Colorado
THOR #2581
Can't paint all dealers with the same brush. My first new rig the sales person told my it really needed two A/c's and was very up front with me about everything. As far as Thor goes it's no better or no worse than any of the rest of them. As I've said many times, people that can't fix things shouldn't own a home that bounces down the road and routinely needs things done. I'm done with this and to all...
please accept my apology for allowing myself to let this rant continue which has ZIP ZERO NOTHING to do with the topic.

Old 07-13-2017, 11:29 PM   #22

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
I find that the Ford 27,000 btu dash air with one 15,000 btu Coleman will keep the coach 20 degrees below ambient in full sun when traveling. With the coach parked in full sun, the temperature differential is 11 degrees using only the roof A/C. Adding Reflextix in the big windows makes the temperature differential 20 degrees.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 11:30 PM   #23

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Thor offers two AC units on many coaches as an option. If one is standard it because for most of the country, most of the time it's enough. If you live in a hot place you should consider optioning your coach appropriately. And it's easy and fairly inexpensive to add it later if you decide it's needed. Why is this someone else's fault?
Old 07-13-2017, 11:32 PM   #24
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
wishing not to offend anyone...but, attempting to analyze the conversation going on...

I believe that...with the popularity of camping and travel within the US at an all time high...we have new people coming to this lifestyle who did not grow up and grow old, tent camping/van camping/entry level RV camping and graduating to more sophisticated motorhomes and trailers/5th wheels.
Those of us who have been enjoying this lifestyle for many years have learned to fix/repair and modify our RV's...and yes, occasionally gripe and complain and ask for assistance from our fellow forum members and friends.

I relate this popularity in the RV lifestyle to the craze a number of years ago in motorcycling. All of a sudden professionals and people who had never had a motorcycle were buying big bikes ...Harleys/Hondas/Yamahas etc ... well we know or can imagine, what happens to a person who does not know how to ride a motorcycle. Either they learn to enjoy it and the inherent problems or they give up and move on.

Now...we get to the sensitive part of my anology...(we owned 2 used motorhomes before buying new)
We own an Axis 24.1 ... suggested retail $104K...bought it at winter show for promo price. Point being...yes, this is a lot of $$$$$ for a motorhome, but, when you look at all the motorhomes on the market..this is pretty much entry level for a NEW motorhome. No one expects problems nor appreciates being treated poorly. There is no excuse for that. (a missing rubber seal around a window, would have been noticed by us immediately)

We did not want a 30'+ in length motorhome nor the price tag which goes with it. We are extremely pleased with our Axis.

Perhaps a person who is looking for more a/c and all the extra bells & whistles , should have looked/shopped a bit more...looked at a $200K - $400K motorhome, before making the deal. In doing so, it puts everything in perspective...hind sight is usually 20/20 !
Every winter we attend the local RV show, whether or not we are interested in making a change...we look at all the new models...and now, find ourselves very pleased with our THOR AXIS !!

OK... ball is in your court...tear me apart !! Kay
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 11:53 PM   #25

Brand: Still Looking
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
Thor offers two AC units on many coaches as an option. If one is standard it because for most of the country, most of the time it's enough. If you live in a hot place you should consider optioning your coach appropriately. And it's easy and fairly inexpensive to add it later if you decide it's needed. Why is this someone else's fault?
Again, in fairness to all, most smaller motorhomes don't have a second A/C option. And upgrading from 13.5k to 15k sounds like a lot as an option when offered but only represents 11% greater capacity (assuming it's even an option).
Old 07-14-2017, 12:05 AM   #26
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Again, in fairness to all, most smaller motorhomes don't have a second A/C option. And upgrading from 13.5k to 15k sounds like a lot as an option when offered but only represents 11% greater capacity (assuming it's even an option).
Our Axis came with a 15.0 BTU a/c ..
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 12:14 AM   #27

Model: Four Winds 26B
THOR #6414
Funny how one's expressed opinion should be kept to themselves while others are fully endorsed. Well i get sick of hearing how great someone's new Thor is and how great their support was.... that's fine.. for them! Maybe they should keep their opinion to themselves because it's contrary to my experience and opinion.

Forums are intended to express EVERYONE'S opinion... if any ONE opinion should be kept to themselves... then they ALL should be kept to themselves.

I'm not a new buyer... I've had 7 new coaches. Of those 5 were pretty awesome, one was a piece of crap but Forest River literally took it apart and practically rebuilt it to make things right. Had it for over 2 months. My current RV was a piece of crap but I'm slowly getting things functional (not to be confused with fixed as some things don't look so great but at least they work now). For example both of my dinette bench seats have collapsed due to split framing and screws missing or not screwed into anything. Nobody disassembles their bench seats to see if they look like they are going to fall apart. My bathroom wall was only fastened on the top half. Must have went home or on break or ran out of time and never got finished. Looked nice until I realized it was loose... and the list goes on and on...

PDI is great but there are some things get overlooked no matter how good the checklist. And some things don't become apparent until after you get it off the lot.
Old 07-14-2017, 01:36 AM   #28

Model: Ace 29.2
State: Georgia
THOR #6481
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogLovers View Post
People like you are the reason people like me are disappointed with Thor coach quality. They probably figure like you apparently do, “buyers beware"! I didn’t drive around for a week and run the AC in my or my wife’s Mercedes before I bought them either. Know why? Because it’s not a piece of low quality junk that’s why. A placated weak and docile society is easily manipulated and duped; you obviously have mistaken me for one of those. You were wrong.
In addition, this is a Thor owner’s blog. It is here for the express purpose of sharing good or bad. Sorry but you don't get to tell me what to post or what not to post. Maybe that works in your house but it won’t fly here. I speak and write “Black tongue Voice foo fluently” so if you want to engage in a bit of mental gymnastics please do so I welcome the effort. Just start a new thread so we have the room.
Have a good day and remember. You don’t control others no matter what you think!

Well I retired from FedEx as a mechanic when I left I had 63 sprinters.... I still call them junk so don't fool your self the turbo go out the rear ends go bad the DEF systems gives a lot of problems bulbs are always going out the TPMS systems and the transmission will start shuttering on you at around 25000 miles but servicing it will stop it
Old 07-14-2017, 01:50 AM   #29

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
THOR #5196
The coaches come from Thor the way they are ordered by the dealer. When I spoke to our dealer here in Texas they stated they order all their coaches with dual AC if that is an option, too hot in Texas not to. The blame is on the dealer, not Thor! If the dealer is trying to sell for a cheaper price and not order a second AC then he is the one to speak to about lack of cooling. Even if I lived in the north I would still want dual AC, rather have it and not need it, you never know where your travels might take you!
Old 07-14-2017, 01:53 AM   #30

Model: Thor Tuscany 36 MQ
THOR #6280
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
The coaches come from Thor the way they are ordered by the dealer. When I spoke to our dealer here in Texas they stated they order all their coaches with dual AC if that is an option, too hot in Texas not to. The blame is on the dealer, not Thor! If the dealer is trying to sell for a cheaper price and not order a second AC then he is the one to speak to about lack of cooling. Even if I lived in the north I would still want dual AC, rather have it and not need it, you never know where your travels might take you!
Good idea on the dual roof AC units, however that is not an option on a Sprinter chassis 26' Synergy.
Traveling with Shih Tzu's Baily, Bella and Maltese Buster. Towing, Golf Cart, Harley or Polaris RZR. 3 of our darling Shih Tzu's passed away recently and I just can't take them off of here. RIP Baxter, Baili & sweet sweet Bella. Buster is our little rock.
DogLovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 01:57 AM   #31

Model: Ace 29.2
State: Georgia
THOR #6481
Quote:
Originally Posted by churd9 View Post
Well I retired from FedEx as a mechanic when I left I had 63 sprinters.... I still call them junk so don't fool your self the turbo go out the rear ends go bad the DEF systems gives a lot of problems bulbs are always going out the TPMS systems and the transmission will start shuttering on you at around 25000 miles but servicing it will stop it

Oh but they get 20mpg
Old 07-14-2017, 02:09 AM   #32

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkb View Post
Our Axis came with a 15.0 BTU a/c ..
I'm just objectively looking at facts.

The Mercedes Sprinter Synergy has 13,500 BTU/hr A/C listed as standard, and a 13,500 BTU/hr A/C with Heat Pump as optional. I do not see a 15,000 BTU/hr A/C option listed -- not that 11% greater capacity will be a huge game changer in my opinion.

Because his is 26-feet long (roughly same size as yours), I'd have to "guess" that Thor doesn't offer a 15k A/C because generator is smaller in capacity than the one in your Axis.

That doesn't mean I give them a pass on poor technical judgment, but understand how they probably got to that point. That's one of the compromises you end up with when you have a small diesel, and particularly when trying to build such a large Class C on an 11,000-pound chassis.

All this stuff plays a part in poor cooling performance. The question is whether buyers should know on their own, or should they be told in advance, or should Thor even make a 26-ft motorhome unless they can offer a larger A/C?
Old 07-14-2017, 02:47 AM   #33

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
Quote:
Ron put MaxxAir Vent Covers over each of our vents...we use those covered vents to our advantage to draw out the hot air. It would have been nice if Thor had put a white cover on the a/c unit rather than black.

There is something to be said for having a tan or white RV, rather than black.
I was upset the dealer put white covers on our vents instead of black...

Now I am kinda glad
Old 07-14-2017, 03:09 AM   #34

THOR #2121
I'd go with whatever color I liked best. Functionally (from cooling standpoint) there can't be enough difference to worry about.
Old 07-14-2017, 03:10 AM   #35

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo_Mike View Post
I was upset the dealer put white covers on our vents instead of black...

Now I am kinda glad
I added the MaxAir covers on our 2016 Axis, especially when I realized that it took just four pins to install. I was a bit concerned that I should have bought the black ones because they look "cooler" on the roof. I made the right choice buying the white ones. They will reflect the sun better and last longer. Life is good.
Old 07-14-2017, 03:18 AM   #36

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Quote:
wishing not to offend anyone...but, attempting to analyze the conversation going on...

I believe that...with the popularity of camping and travel within the US at an all time high...we have new people coming to this lifestyle who did not grow up and grow old, tent camping/van camping/entry level RV camping and graduating to more sophisticated motorhomes and trailers/5th wheels.
Those of us who have been enjoying this lifestyle for many years have learned to fix/repair and modify our RV's...and yes, occasionally gripe and complain and ask for assistance from our fellow forum members and friends.

I relate this popularity in the RV lifestyle to the craze a number of years ago in motorcycling. All of a sudden professionals and people who had never had a motorcycle were buying big bikes ...Harleys/Hondas/Yamahas etc ... well we know or can imagine, what happens to a person who does not know how to ride a motorcycle. Either they learn to enjoy it and the inherent problems or they give up and move on.

Now...we get to the sensitive part of my anology...(we owned 2 used motorhomes before buying new)
We own an Axis 24.1 ... suggested retail $104K...bought it at winter show for promo price. Point being...yes, this is a lot of $$$$$ for a motorhome, but, when you look at all the motorhomes on the market..this is pretty much entry level for a NEW motorhome. No one expects problems nor appreciates being treated poorly. There is no excuse for that. (a missing rubber seal around a window, would have been noticed by us immediately)

We did not want a 30'+ in length motorhome nor the price tag which goes with it. We are extremely pleased with our Axis.

Perhaps a person who is looking for more a/c and all the extra bells & whistles , should have looked/shopped a bit more...looked at a $200K - $400K motorhome, before making the deal. In doing so, it puts everything in perspective...hind sight is usually 20/20 !
Every winter we attend the local RV show, whether or not we are interested in making a change...we look at all the new models...and now, find ourselves very pleased with our THOR AXIS !!

OK... ball is in your court...tear me apart !! Kay
Dear Kay,
We have a 2016 Axis 24.1 that we purchased in January of 2016. I agree with your comments. I have found some things that are just plain crap on this coach but are fixable. I also feel that there are a lot of things on this coach which work for the two of us for the price we paid for it. We were limited to the size of the 24.1 because we wanted to park it next to our house and get up our driveway. I figured that if we had to park it in a storage lot we may not use it as much as we should etc. We have spent $$ on upgrading the suspension, i.e., Saf-T-Plus, alignment, Koni shocks and lifted the rear a few inches for our driveway along with scraper wheels in back. Anyway, I look at it this way. How lucky are we that we can have a RV, travel and see this country? Is our Thor perfect in every way? Nope. Then again, I still have money in my pocket to travel and pay for fuel and a campground space. If someone likes their $300-$400k coach that has its problems better, I have no animosity toward them. They are just as lucky as we are. One of the reasons that I like this forum is because I only see civil comments between the members. I would hate to see it go downhill like Facebook.
Old 07-14-2017, 11:19 AM   #37

Model: 26B
State: Florida
THOR #5734
Well said!
Old 07-14-2017, 11:30 AM   #38
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis earl View Post
I added the MaxAir covers on our 2016 Axis, especially when I realized that it took just four pins to install. I was a bit concerned that I should have bought the black ones because they look "cooler" on the roof. I made the right choice buying the white ones. They will reflect the sun better and last longer. Life is good.
I think if I went with the Maxxair covers I'd go with the Smoke ones (Amazon). I don't think those would get that hot, they probably would reduce the light onto the white caps, and they look cooler .
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 11:36 AM   #39

Model: 2016 A.C.E. 30.1
State: South Carolina
THOR #5641
I added the vent in the A/C cover like SuperD did, I also installed the MaxAir covers over all 3 of my vents to help draw the heat out and added the Magna Shades for the front and driver and passenger windows. The Magna Shades are expensive but to me they are worth it. I may do the DYI window tint for the rest of the windows in the MH, but not sure about that yet.
Old 07-14-2017, 11:53 AM   #40

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippytwo View Post
I added the vent in the A/C cover like SuperD did, I also installed the MaxAir covers over all 3 of my vents to help draw the heat out and added the Magna Shades for the front and driver and passenger windows. The Magna Shades are expensive but to me they are worth it. I may do the DYI window tint for the rest of the windows in the MH, but not sure about that yet.
If you plan on adding tint be sure you get the heat blocking type. I have 3M crystalline on my Yukon windows, in direct Texas sun I can't feel any heat coming thru the windows. Adding heat blocking tint is on my list of things to do for the motorhome.