Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-29-2017, 02:39 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Miramar 34.2
State: New York
THOR #3584
cable snaking

While upgrading my outside TV from Seiki to a Samsung Smart TV I accidentally bent and destroyed the HDMI cable going into the back of the set. I am in the process of ordering a 10’ cable with a 90 degree angle connection.My question is this, does anyone have a good idea how to snake this new cable from inside the motorhome to the outside TV, it is presently connected to the DVD player in an upper cabinet.The broken cable appears to be zip tied to other wires inside the wall so tugging on it does not work, I will just disconnect it and leave it in place.Any ideas would be appreciated, thank you.

Old 06-29-2017, 03:13 PM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
Sue,

I know it was a job to do with the Vegas, so I do not think yours will be much easier.
FYI: To run a second HDMI from the top shelf above the sink I had to remove the microwave, pass the cable into the wall (coat hanger with string, then wire, then cable) between the kitchen and the refridge down to a hole drilled into the same wall at the level of the two drawers under the range (had to remove both drawers to get enough elbow room) attached it to the inside of the outside wall then passed it thru the rather large hole that was knawed thru the wall to the outside. I said knawed because no one would cut such an odd shaped, large irregular hole on purpose. I covered most of the hole back up once done.

Good luck.

DocMike

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 03:20 PM   #3

THOR #3584
Thanks DocMike, I am not looking forward to this...
Old 06-29-2017, 04:17 PM   #4

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #4486
You can actually buy HDMI terminals and re-crimp an HDMI cable rather than re-fish a new cable which depending on your situation, could be a challenge.
Check out Amazon.
2015 Ford Taurus toad
schreinertms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 04:21 PM   #5

THOR #3584
How easy is that to do? From what I am seeing, there are about 8 independent wires to deal with.
Old 06-29-2017, 04:26 PM   #6

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #4486
I can't speak to crimping HDMI but can to ethernet or RJ phone cables. They are relatively easy once you get the hang of it. Best is to order couple extra fittings just in case. There maybe a local IT guy in your area that has experience crimping HDMI as it is used heavily in IT environments for video and sound. HDMI was also designed to handle ethernet but not widely used, if at all.

I saw on Amazon that they also have solder HDMI fittings if you are into soldering.
2015 Ford Taurus toad
schreinertms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 04:27 PM   #7

THOR #3584
Thanks, I may have to go that route if I can't get this through the wall.
Old 06-29-2017, 04:30 PM   #8
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by suenmike View Post
How easy is that to do? From what I am seeing, there are about 8 independent wires to deal with.
Or 19. Special tool, special cable, special crimping end, multiple failed practice crimps: not an easy row to hoe for a 1 time project.
Old 06-29-2017, 04:48 PM   #9

THOR #3584
sounds like putting together a 10,000 piece puzzle of a cloud
Old 06-29-2017, 04:53 PM   #10

Model: 2014 Windsport 34f
State: Alabama
THOR #6507
What Not to Do!

I will tell you what not to do.

I had several minor issues to resolve, so I took the RV to my local RV repair center. Along with my list I added: Run new HDMI Cable from TV to video switch box (4 feet straight line distance).

I got the bill back: 7 hours labor + new HDMI Cable (my cable was defective) = $770. We agreed on a final price of $325.

But the worst part...My DW will remind me of this many, many times.
Toad: (Wally One) 2014 Fiat 500L Trekking (4 Down)
"Welcome to our front porch"
rickymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 05:08 PM   #11

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
Try looking for wireless hdmi set up. DinoC, on this forum, used wireless for his outside tv and bedroom tv. Both hdmi cables were bad. Thor warranty said easier and cheaper than trying to run new wires.

Just a suggestion. Ive never used or seem them.

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 05:55 PM   #12

Model: 2015 ACE 30.2
THOR #1287
Wireless to replace bad HDMI

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
Try looking for wireless hdmi set up. DinoC, on this forum, used wireless for his outside tv and bedroom tv. Both hdmi cables were bad. Thor warranty said easier and cheaper than trying to run new wires.

Just a suggestion. Ive never used or seem them.

Jerry
Our HDMI cable was bad from day one and Thor told us to buy a wireless set-up for the TV and BluRay/DVD and they would reimburse us (and they did, sent them the Amazon receipt). No way did Thor want to disassemble the ceiling and walls to run the cable across the coach and thru the slide. The Wireless works great, and if you want to buy extra receivers so you can watch the same BluRAy/DVD on different TV's at the same time.
BTW, our cable runs were in bad shape too, had to replace all the connectors to maintain signal throughout the RV. Most bizarre path you ever did see, not efficient at all.
Old 06-29-2017, 07:14 PM   #13

Model: Challenger 37LX
State: Arizona
THOR #7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrrV View Post
Our HDMI cable was bad from day one and Thor told us to buy a wireless set-up for the TV and BluRay/DVD and they would reimburse us (and they did, sent them the Amazon receipt). No way did Thor want to disassemble the ceiling and walls to run the cable across the coach and thru the slide. The Wireless works great, and if you want to buy extra receivers so you can watch the same BluRAy/DVD on different TV's at the same time.
BTW, our cable runs were in bad shape too, had to replace all the connectors to maintain signal throughout the RV. Most bizarre path you ever did see, not efficient at all.
That seems like a brilliant solution! Does the receiver on the outside TV run on a battery or did you have an outlet in the box to connect to?
The only thing necessary for evil to prosper,
Is that good men do nothing.
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 08:01 PM   #14

Model: 2015 ACE 30.2
THOR #1287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in AZ View Post
That seems like a brilliant solution! Does the receiver on the outside TV run on a battery or did you have an outlet in the box to connect to?
There is an outlet directly above the box inside the coach where the TV plugs into, but I use an extension cord to reach the outside outlet about 3 feet away. The receiver easily fits inside the TV box. It is wee.
What is really fun is that the BluRay/DVD stays inside but the remote for it works through the wall of the RV so I can control it while standing outside.
Old 06-29-2017, 11:01 PM   #15

Model: Challenger 37LX
State: Arizona
THOR #7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrrV View Post
There is an outlet directly above the box inside the coach where the TV plugs into, but I use an extension cord to reach the outside outlet about 3 feet away. The receiver easily fits inside the TV box. It is wee.
What is really fun is that the BluRay/DVD stays inside but the remote for it works through the wall of the RV so I can control it while standing outside.
I hope to remember this if I ever have this issue... and might do it anyway just for the versatility. Thanks!
The only thing necessary for evil to prosper,
Is that good men do nothing.
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote