Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 02-15-2019, 03:33 PM   #61

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Georgia
THOR #4735
yes, we all camp differently, for different reasons, and with differing methods - an excuse for one is good enough, but for others it may seem 'unreasonable' ... but really, an excuse is an excuse.

When someone reserves and pays for a site, it's theirs. The rest of us want to know why they may have left it vacant, didn't show up, or otherwise are just 'losers' who are aggravating the rest of us, but the reality is that it's hard to define what 'excuse' is o.k. and which are not - it's completely too subjective, and as such is why campgrounds and parks have a hard time enforcing any type of 'show up or else' authority.

We might be aggravated by an owner who leaves their site vacant for three days, then 'finally' shows up - we feel like going over there and 'telling them a thing or two!'....
only to find out they had to miss the first several days since their 8 year old child was killed in an accident, and the funeral cut into their 'camping time' they had already planned and reserved for months ago.
We'd probably all feel a little 'small' after that excuse.

Old 02-15-2019, 03:54 PM   #62
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
You make a very good point: "Crap can happen to anyone..."
But I will say that whenever I make a reservation: I pay in full...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 03:55 PM   #63
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
I think Ontario Parks has a pretty good idea to dissuade this sort of behavior. Check out their reservation penalty site.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 05:02 PM   #64

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
The only problem i could see for me not making it to a reserved cg is mechanucal problems

So during a 5 week trip if i break down and it takes 1 or 2 days to be fixed you think i should be fined 100%. When a simple call to the cg to push my arrival date forward would cover it

Jerry

I'm referring to the super popular areas where people reserve them many months in advance. If you pay in advance, as I suggested, then your site will be waiting for you (pre-paid) whether you're on time or not....that is...if you had intentions a year ago when you made it....to actually use it on those dates. Many people don't...they just reserve them for the option when the possible time comes around, and they never follow up with respect for others. Rudeness should be an expense.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 05:08 PM   #65

THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
I think Ontario Parks has a pretty good idea to dissuade this sort of behavior. Check out their reservation penalty site.

Outstanding program...only fault...campers should have to pay the full amount 30 days before their reservation date. This would cut the crap from the mustard!! Too many people would appreciate the space and too many others only think of themselves.
Old 02-15-2019, 05:35 PM   #66

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #11784
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
The only problem i could see for me not making it to a reserved cg is mechanucal problems

So during a 5 week trip if i break down and it takes 1 or 2 days to be fixed you think i should be fined 100%. When a simple call to the cg to push my arrival date forward would cover it

Jerry
Weather should cause delays also. This past December I had a reservation in Savanna on my way to see the grandkids in DC.

The winds were angry that day my friend (yes, it's a George Costanza quote), estimated at 25 to 30 miles per hour. Also in the forcast were these periodic little pop up rain downpours. Well when the wind combined with the wind output from a rain downpour, the winds were well over 50 mph. Needless to say I got caught in 2 of these little wind storms. The first was 5 minutes after I left my home on a large bridge over the Manatee River. I had serious visions of going over the side into the water. The second was outside of Tampa and it literally pushed the RV on the wet roads over literally 3 feet onto the Thank God 7 foot wide shoulder.

I will alter plans in the future to make sure the wind conditions are not extreme.
Old 02-15-2019, 05:37 PM   #67
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
Outstanding program...only fault...campers should have to pay the full amount 30 days before their reservation date. This would cut the crap from the mustard!! Too many people would appreciate the space and too many others only think of themselves.
You pay the full amount when you make the reservation.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 06:06 PM   #68

THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
You pay the full amount when you make the reservation.

Can't get any better than that!! That's an aggressive policy and probably for the same obvious reasons we talk here. I moved yacht for friend of mine through the Trent-Severn Waterway in Ontario about a year ago. Two week trip through 45 locks and some of the most gorgeous country I've seen. Reservations at marinas were the same way. Pay when you call. I overheard an older couple talking one night (wall-side at a Lock). He told her to make reservations at a certain marina ahead of them...followed with, "that way we have a space if we want it, don't give them a deposit because we may not need it".
Old 02-15-2019, 06:15 PM   #69
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
... He told her to make reservations at a certain marina ahead of them...followed with, "that way we have a space if we want it, don't give them a deposit because we may not need it".
And that's why we have this problem: too many people think that the World was put here just for their own personal use...
Old 02-16-2019, 12:10 AM   #70

Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
Quote:
I'm referring to the super popular areas where people reserve them many months in advance. If you pay in advance, as I suggested, then your site will be waiting for you (pre-paid) whether you're on time or not....that is...if you had intentions a year ago when you made it....to actually use it on those dates. Many people don't...they just reserve them for the option when the possible time comes around, and they never follow up with respect for others. Rudeness should be an expense.
Got it and I agree with you.

I also have no problems paying at reservation time.

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 01:18 PM   #71

Model: Four Winds 28z
THOR #5725
I Agree. FL His payment upfront and you get your money back minus 17.50 when you cancel. I probably only use 40 to 50% of the reservations I make but always cancel and they are scooped up within 24 hours. At $25 a night compared to private campgrounds I consider the 1750 a great donation to the state
Old 02-16-2019, 01:37 PM   #72

THOR #11130
Great planning and very responsible approach. We all must reserve but be as aggressive with cancellations as we are with reservations. We are often "the others".
Old 02-16-2019, 02:05 PM   #73

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
I typing this now, sitting in a state forest wilderness area equestran campground. All 3 of the campsites were booked last night...but 1 was/is vacant. I was looking around trying to figure out where to stay tonight and it's all booked here the last time I looked. Probably the same empty site tonight. It's a shame.
Old 02-16-2019, 04:45 PM   #74

THOR #11130
Ban the "no shows" for 12 months...it will reduce the problem. The system is run by "government jobs". Sadly, that was their first priority and you are their last concern.
Old 02-16-2019, 08:48 PM   #75

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Kentucky
THOR #2817
Walmart, Flying J, Pilot, rest areas, etc. The price is right.

I thought camping was a way to get away from it all without having to spend too much money. That isn't true. Perhaps I ought to convert the motor home into a chicken coop.
Old 02-16-2019, 08:55 PM   #76
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
You'll have the happiest chickens in the County!
Old 02-16-2019, 09:00 PM   #77

Model: 23H
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #13709
Hmmmm

Well this is interesting. How big are your rigs? I think the trend toward huge motorhomes is a bit out of hand. Don’t get mad at me, my opinion. We have a 25’ motorhome. Bought so we can get onto smaller sites. I do book ahead and plan the season out. I book Friday night but my dear partner works late Friday so we usually arrive Saturday morning. I book Friday night so we can check in early and enjoy the full day. Also, we pay full price upon reservation.

We used to tent camp when our kids were small and growing up before this craze, we went to a motorhome after our last tent camping at age 61 was a little too rough. Wish people would just slow down, be a bit smaller, and relax. Sometimes those big screen TVs outside are so annoying! Do you really need all that stuff?

Just be courteous. That is all!
Old 02-16-2019, 09:42 PM   #78

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
yes, we really need all that stuff...

but that's really why camping or rving is different for everyone, everyone themselves are different - there's no 'camping' rule or description that encompasses, or 'regulates' everyone in the process.
Some prefer to have everything they have at 'home', while others take the stance that you aren't really 'camping' unless you are doing WITHOUT everything at home, almost.

but, it'll always be this way ...

I'll agree, though, that while I have an outside tv, and enjoy it many times, I don't turn up the volume for others to hear, or make it a 'focus' point for others to see, and don't enjoy others who make their outdoor experience somehow for the 'whole' campground.

If we all camped in silence, many would appreciate that, while others would complain that you should be a 'community' when camping, sit by the fire, and sing songs. Some think that a campfire is a requirement for camping, even at 100 degrees outside, and whether or not any other campers are in the direction of the smoke shouldn't matter. Some think that hoopin' and houlerin' and laughin' and stayin up all night is a right for campers, while others want a good night's rest - they are relaxing, not partying.

But, I digress.

you get the point - and, yes, being respectful and cognizant of others is my primary goal, and I hope it is theirs as well.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 10:08 PM   #79

Model: Quantum
State: Alabama
THOR #13457
Quote:
Originally Posted by nautiquecowboy View Post
Has anyone besides myself found it difficult to make reservations or find a place to stay that is not completely full .Seems like most of the campgrounds we've been checking into are completely full that would be ..state and County parks especially on the weekends you can find some spots during the middle of the week but that doesn't really work for a lot of us. Also the nomadic, van life, living free lifestyle also is contributing to the shortage of places to stay. In general I'm saying we need more campgrounds. We have found some spots to stay but who wants to pay $100 or more for the night. Or the campground or camping spot is less than desirable . Record sales of campers motorhomes it's only going to get worse.
I guess the wife and I have been lucky so far. We are going to stay mostly in famcamps on military bases. So far, have been to one, and have reservations for April in Florida.
Old 02-16-2019, 10:25 PM   #80

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Kentucky
THOR #2817
Quote:
Originally Posted by robynb0119 View Post
Well this is interesting. How big are your rigs? I think the trend toward huge motorhomes is a bit out of hand. Don’t get mad at me, my opinion. We have a 25’ motorhome. Bought so we can get onto smaller sites. I do book ahead and plan the season out. I book Friday night but my dear partner works late Friday so we usually arrive Saturday morning. I book Friday night so we can check in early and enjoy the full day. Also, we pay full price upon reservation.

We used to tent camp when our kids were small and growing up before this craze, we went to a motorhome after our last tent camping at age 61 was a little too rough. Wish people would just slow down, be a bit smaller, and relax. Sometimes those big screen TVs outside are so annoying! Do you really need all that stuff?

Just be courteous. That is all!
I am not sure if you were asking me the question, but ours is 28 feet long. We've gone from 24 to 33 to 38 to 28 feet. The size is good for our kind of camping. We normally pull a trailer with a motorcycle, so the total length is about 45 feet. No more tents or popup campers. We like the comfort of the motor home. Our night times when on the road include a bit of TV when available, emailing, and reading. Some might think that we are dull, and that might be true, but we are not bored.

We don't need campgrounds with stores, playgrounds, campfire pits (we burned wood to keep warm for 30 years), or swimming pools.