Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 02-16-2019, 10:37 PM   #81

Brand: Dutchmen
State: Michigan
THOR #2904
Campground reservations

Don't forget National Forests if you don't mind dry camping. You can pick a spot any where in the National Forest of your choice without a reservation, just pick a spot and set up. Not a National Forest Campground, but any where in th forest.

Old 02-17-2019, 01:46 AM   #82

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 29.0
State: Colorado
THOR #2581
Must be the crappy economy causing all these people to buy RV’s.
Old 02-17-2019, 03:48 AM   #83

Model: Vegas 25.3
State: Tennessee
THOR #4796
Campgrounds full..

Bottom line...make reservations at your destination (early) and use Walmarts (or similar) for over nights while traveling. Close to home...find the hidden gem.[/QUOTE]

I have to agree about using the Walmarts when campgrounds can't be found. The hubby and I just returned home from a month-long cross-country (and then some!) trip, but we only stay at Walmarts. We DID find campgrounds we'd like to visit in the future, but when I logged on to see the reservations situation, yes.. all booked up for a year in advance.
What we are witnessing now is the younger generations hitting the road and RVing full-time rather than purchasing homes, like we did. They don't want the responsibility of home-ownership, full-time jobs, in some cases children (opting for small pets instead). The ones that DO put down roots, do so in apartments (not owned) in the city, where they don't even need to own a car to get to work. It's a responsibility thing, IMO.
I miss the days when only the retirees, or the ones soon to retire were RVing and all others were in tents... but, that's just me.
I believe state parks take reservations for only a year in advance, so if you can find WHEN they 're-list', be ready to log on and make those reservations asap.
2011 Jeep Wrangler toad
Calico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 02:02 PM   #84

Model: Thor Tuscany 36 MQ
State: Indiana
THOR #6280
Reservations? I don have to make no stinkin reservations!

Your problem is trying to stay at public or state campgrounds. Yes they fill up on all the weekends with local campers. I avoid those campgrounds all together. They all too often are populated with trashy people on a weekend binge from the hood or from under a bridge somewhere. :-)

Wanna camp and be happy? Ya gotta pay!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2twjed.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	15735  
Traveling with Shih Tzu's Baily, Bella and Maltese Buster. Towing, Golf Cart, Harley or Polaris RZR. 3 of our darling Shih Tzu's passed away recently and I just can't take them off of here. RIP Baxter, Baili & sweet sweet Bella. Buster is our little rock.
DogLovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 02:21 PM   #85
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon70 View Post
Must be the crappy economy causing all these people to buy RV’s.
You might be right...
After they spend anywhere from $50,000 to $550,000 for a place to sleep: they must not have any money left over. It forces everybody into the cheapest or "free-est" places to stay.
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 03:27 PM   #86

THOR #6280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
You might be right...
After they spend anywhere from $50,000 to $550,000 for a place to sleep: they must not have any money left over. It forces everybody into the cheapest or "free-est" places to stay.
No no you're way too low. Last year I was in a nice campground in Northern Arizona. I rig pulled in next to me that mine would have fit into mayb 2-3 times. Nice people. I'm guessing the rig was around $700,000.
Traveling with Shih Tzu's Baily, Bella and Maltese Buster. Towing, Golf Cart, Harley or Polaris RZR. 3 of our darling Shih Tzu's passed away recently and I just can't take them off of here. RIP Baxter, Baili & sweet sweet Bella. Buster is our little rock.
Old 02-17-2019, 03:56 PM   #87

THOR #2581
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogLovers View Post
Thor builds crap and everyone knows it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogLovers View Post
Your problem is trying to stay at public or state campgrounds. Yes they fill up on all the weekends with local campers. I avoid those campgrounds all together. They all too often are populated with trashy people on a weekend binge from the hood or from under a bridge somewhere. :-)

Wanna camp and be happy? Ya gotta pay!
Based on your posts seems like there’s not much you do like. You should get out more. People with a little less always seem a lot nicer.
Old 02-17-2019, 04:21 PM   #88
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I'll bet that they don't stay in Walmart parking lots either$
Old 02-17-2019, 07:34 PM   #89

Model: Thor Hurricane 29M
State: Florida
THOR #9033
Quote:
Originally Posted by nautiquecowboy View Post
Has anyone besides myself found it difficult to make reservations or find a place to stay that is not completely full .Seems like most of the campgrounds we've been checking into are completely full that would be ..state and County parks especially on the weekends you can find some spots during the middle of the week but that doesn't really work for a lot of us. Also the nomadic, van life, living free lifestyle also is contributing to the shortage of places to stay. In general I'm saying we need more campgrounds. We have found some spots to stay but who wants to pay $100 or more for the night. Or the campground or camping spot is less than desirable . Record sales of campers motorhomes it's only going to get worse.
We live in FL. Let me tell you, Jan, Feb, March is full everywhere.....restaurants, golf courses, and campgrounds. We like the beaches, either coast and nothing....nothing is around. SO we look inland and find basically nothing again. If it wasn't so cold up north, .......LOL And these are large campgrounds. They do get cancellations but... most don't have a list...you have to call often and hope. GOlf courses...the same. You can get on but it's a wait and then you wait some more on the course. You would think my taxes would be less with all the northern money floating around LOL
Old 02-17-2019, 07:38 PM   #90

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #11784
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfbum18 View Post
We live in FL. Let me tell you, Jan, Feb, March is full everywhere.....restaurants, golf courses, and campgrounds. We like the beaches, either coast and nothing....nothing is around. SO we look inland and find basically nothing again. If it wasn't so cold up north, .......LOL And these are large campgrounds. They do get cancellations but... most don't have a list...you have to call often and hope. GOlf courses...the same. You can get on but it's a wait and then you wait some more on the course. You would think my taxes would be less with all the northern money floating around LOL
You forgot the roads are also very crowded.
Old 02-17-2019, 07:50 PM   #91

THOR #6280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon70 View Post
Based on your posts seems like there’s not much you do like. You should get out more. People with a little less always seem a lot nicer.
I call it like it is. I don't sugar coat it for the snowflakes and libbys. I like pretty much everybody in here Dragon70 even you. I came to realize some time ago not everyone will be like you so I'm now tolerant of your type. (whatever that is) Thor indeed makes crap and everyone in here knows it. The thing is Dragon70 my crap will always be better than your crap.

Have a nice day.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2tx7d2.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	15737  
Old 02-17-2019, 08:17 PM   #92

THOR #2581
Now there’s a well thought out reply.
Old 02-18-2019, 02:58 AM   #93

Model: challenger 37FH
State: Delaware
THOR #13399
I own a Thor product, it's not crap. I've been staying in Florida since November and I'm booked thru end of March with no problems.Take your keyboard war somewhere else. Please!
Old 02-18-2019, 04:34 AM   #94

THOR #6280
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrapped View Post
I own a Thor product, it's not crap. I've been staying in Florida since November and I'm booked thru end of March with no problems.Take your keyboard war somewhere else. Please!
Your from Delaware what do you know about it.
Old 02-18-2019, 11:59 AM   #95

Model: Four Winds 28z
THOR #5725
Haha. You have to Plan and it Vance but I just got a site two weeks from now at a primitive campsite that is a Florida State campground. I agree everything is crowded down here at this time but is far is less taxes we don’t pay any so I don’t know how it’s less than that :-)
Old 02-18-2019, 12:12 PM   #96

Model: 2016 Thor Outlaw 29H
State: Tennessee
THOR #13869
If y'all decide to diversify on what activities you may want to adventure...

Local race tracks normally allow your camper in over night, or weekend, depending.
You might not have any hook ups, but plenty of entertainment.

Then there are scads of biker rally's, some have hook ups, some are adult only entertainment, some are noisy till 4AM, lol, then there are also those PG13.
Almost all allow golf carts, & you do not need a motorcycle to attend!

There are even off road parks, if you like, even so, one here near Oak Ridge, TN has country/western concerts with the camping admissions.

I understand it may not be for everyone, but then again, we live a little on the wild side.
It's just what you are willing to explore.

Have fun, enjoy life, add one to your bucket list, and have an open mind!
The folks are usually really great!
Old 02-18-2019, 06:01 PM   #97

Model: 23H
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #13709
Wow! Crazy.
Old 02-18-2019, 06:40 PM   #98
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrapped View Post
I kind of agree..
We liked our Outlaw a whole bunch: it just had a lot of "build quality issues"...

Eventually: we found a rig that better suited our changing needs.

I would never have called it "crap".
Old 02-18-2019, 09:39 PM   #99

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Quote:
Originally Posted by robynb0119 View Post
Well this is interesting. How big are your rigs? I think the trend toward huge motorhomes is a bit out of hand. Don’t get mad at me, my opinion. We have a 25’ motorhome. Bought so we can get onto smaller sites. I do book ahead and plan the season out. I book Friday night but my dear partner works late Friday so we usually arrive Saturday morning. I book Friday night so we can check in early and enjoy the full day. Also, we pay full price upon reservation.

We used to tent camp when our kids were small and growing up before this craze, we went to a motorhome after our last tent camping at age 61 was a little too rough. Wish people would just slow down, be a bit smaller, and relax. Sometimes those big screen TVs outside are so annoying! Do you really need all that stuff?

Just be courteous. That is all!
Interesting take

People are and always have chosen to be neighborly or annoying no matter if in a tent or Prevost

To many are taking on the AOC mentality instead of being adults

A neighbor complained about the other neighbor driving a F250 to work

Is that where we're heading, every thing has to be touchy feely and approved by the social police

It is both interesting how since Bernie and company came along we now worry about how long others campers or motor homes are

Everyone needs to help others enjoy camping to the fullest and be aware of your effect on your neighbors

Don't matter if they are in a horse trailer or Prevost
Old 02-18-2019, 10:22 PM   #100

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
The Bernie comment summed it all up...you can usually tell by the State someone lives in how much they would like to rule your life! I've worked hard all my life...saved harder and will now play the hardest...and buy whatever I wish!!
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote