Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 02-10-2019, 08:43 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 25.2 axis
State: South Carolina
THOR #3992
Campgrounds are full

Has anyone besides myself found it difficult to make reservations or find a place to stay that is not completely full .Seems like most of the campgrounds we've been checking into are completely full that would be ..state and County parks especially on the weekends you can find some spots during the middle of the week but that doesn't really work for a lot of us. Also the nomadic, van life, living free lifestyle also is contributing to the shortage of places to stay. In general I'm saying we need more campgrounds. We have found some spots to stay but who wants to pay $100 or more for the night. Or the campground or camping spot is less than desirable . Record sales of campers motorhomes it's only going to get worse.

Old 02-10-2019, 11:17 AM   #2

Model: Axis 25.5
State: Florida
THOR #4802
We've found same problem, especially here in FL, where we're overrun with Snowbirds. Hopefully, by Easter, they'll be gone. And, you're right, the booming RV industry's sales have created this problem and it is only going to get worse.
Old 02-10-2019, 12:56 PM   #3

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
More of the Corp of Engineers and state campgrounds are going to 100% reservable sights. You might think this is a good thing but if you live anywhere near a major city, those campsites are reserved every Friday and Saturday night for the entire season. They used to only reserve maybe 1/2 of the sites so you could always get there earlier in the week and find a place to set up.

Many times I have been in a campground with several of the sites empty, with reserved signs on the posts...very frustrating. I have found 3 solutions to this:

First, reserve early and I mean like 6 months early. We do that for our annual family reunion. We have 8 campers stay for a week and reserve the sites as soon as they are available.

Second, find small county or even city owned campgrounds that do not do reservations. One of my favorite places is a small, little known campground with 25 - 50 amp sites...beautiful, peaceful and best of all...never full.

Third, private campgrounds. Because they are more expensive they are generally available unless they are near a major tourist area.

Bottom line...make reservations at your destination (early) and use Walmarts (or similar) for over nights while traveling. Close to home...find the hidden gem.
Old 02-10-2019, 01:12 PM   #4

Model: Axis 25.5
THOR #4802
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miramar Owner View Post
More of the Corp of Engineers and state campgrounds are going to 100% reservable sights. You might think this is a good thing but if you live anywhere near a major city, those campsites are reserved every Friday and Saturday night for the entire season. They used to only reserve maybe 1/2 of the sites so you could always get there earlier in the week and find a place to set up.

Many times I have been in a campground with several of the sites empty, with reserved signs on the posts...very frustrating. I have found 3 solutions to this:

First, reserve early and I mean like 6 months early. We do that for our annual family reunion. We have 8 campers stay for a week and reserve the sites as soon as they are available.

Second, find small county or even city owned campgrounds that do not do reservations. One of my favorite places is a small, little known campground with 25 - 50 amp sites...beautiful, peaceful and best of all...never full.

Third, private campgrounds. Because they are more expensive they are generally available unless they are near a major tourist area.

Bottom line...make reservations at your destination (early) and use Walmarts (or similar) for over nights while traveling. Close to home...find the hidden gem.
One more solution is to call the campground office, if it has one, and ask them if any sites available. This is because, as stated, too many RV'ers selfishly book everything in sight for long periods of time, with no intention of actually using that time or often not even showing up. I've frequently found that many of the on-line reservation sites always show 'no vacancies' but those running the campground know the real situation.
A mandatory, non-refundable 'reservation' fee would put a stop to a lot of this.
Old 02-10-2019, 01:29 PM   #5

THOR #3992
Campgrounds are full

In the essence of fairness we don't make reservations until we are sure we can make it. How do I know where or what situation I will be next October. I think reservations should be made for 3 months or less and also a lot of the federal state and County campgrounds 15 days or less for a stay. Not everyone in this country is retired or nomadic, van life ,living free lifestyle those who have to work and try to enjoy vacation time shouldn't have to stay in expensive or in some cases crummy Campground. Colorado for example I keep getting all this information about wonderful places to stay it when we check into the campgrounds out there they're all full all the time so where does that leave us.
Old 02-10-2019, 01:30 PM   #6

Model: Quantum RQ29
State: Ohio
THOR #13648
I think everyone everywhere has the same problem. Here in our area some campgrounds allow you to make reservations anywhere from 6mos. in advance to a year in advance. It's really hard to get reservations for holiday weekends sometimes. I agree that more campgrounds would be nice.
Old 02-10-2019, 01:54 PM   #7

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Campgrounds

Weekends in SoCal are almost impossible unless you book months in advance. This is usually what we have to do. Unfortunate and people that can only camp on weekends should seriously consider this before they sign a 10 year payment agreement on a rig.
Old 02-10-2019, 02:03 PM   #8
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Since there are so many more folks enjoying their RV's; and so few available campsites: plan ahead, make your reservations early.

Or take your chances...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 03:11 PM   #9

Model: Freedom Elite24FE
State: Texas
THOR #12434
It is getting more difficult and expensive. I believe with over half a million new RVs being built every year it might get worse before it gets better! JMHO...
Old 02-10-2019, 03:17 PM   #10
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I think that we need to see some golf courses get converted into campgrounds.
They already have the cart paths in place!

Old 02-10-2019, 04:50 PM   #11

Model: Aria 3901
State: Idaho
THOR #9660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
I think that we need to see some golf courses get converted into campgrounds.
They already have the cart paths in place!

That's funny Bob, until you end up on a cart path in a 37' MH pulling a toad! It was an early GPS unit saying "turn right now" into what was supposed to be an RV park at night. She (the GPS voice lady), was only a mile off. And it just happened to be where the cart path crossed the road. Looked like a driveway.
Not fun at all.
Old 02-10-2019, 05:09 PM   #12
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
She sounds like Robin Williams' "Lola" in "RV"
Old 02-11-2019, 01:08 AM   #13

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
Miramar Owner is right on track. It's not too early to get reservations locked in for summer, especially around popular attractions.
Old 02-11-2019, 01:36 AM   #14

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Arizona
THOR #13228
Yes, early reservations are a must. Although most of our camping is boondocking in the thousands of acres of National Forests, this too is getting more difficult with road closures and higher usage. Favorite spots for 20+ years are now known and occupied by others. The camping population is growing and sadly some have no etiquette or sense of wilderness preservation.
Old 02-11-2019, 01:47 PM   #15

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #11784
I just made reservations in the middle of Georgia at 7 state parks just yesterday morning for this April with no problem. Should be a very nice temp and all the parks looked very interesting. Plus senior discount is 50% at age 62!
Old 02-11-2019, 01:50 PM   #16
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
We've already locked-down our Season reservations also...
Old 02-11-2019, 01:53 PM   #17

THOR #11784
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1noel View Post
That's funny Bob, until you end up on a cart path in a 37' MH pulling a toad! It was an early GPS unit saying "turn right now" into what was supposed to be an RV park at night. She (the GPS voice lady), was only a mile off. And it just happened to be where the cart path crossed the road. Looked like a driveway.
Not fun at all.
I believe her name is Siri and her and I have quite a few "conversations" but she is not a good listener. All she does is boss me around. Lol.
Old 02-11-2019, 01:56 PM   #18

THOR #11784
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
She sounds like Robin Williams' "Lola" in "RV"
Must see movie for any RV owner.
Old 02-11-2019, 02:17 PM   #19

THOR #3992
No campgrounds available

Getting ready to head out west this year . Our third trip since we've got our Thor axis. Our slogan has always been. Where are we going I'm not certain when will we get there I don't know. all I know is we are on our way. Don't really like to have my life scheduled where I have to be at a certain place at a certain time and that's what reservation does. Not knocking anyone who makes reservations of course that's your life and if you're happy I'm happy for you. I guess we'll just wing it and hope we find a spot. I am retired but my wife still works two weeks at one time is all she can take .So we try to cover as much as we can. .Time is running out on us there so much to see. Seems just gets harder and harder to do it that way. Or I just start calling every place that I can imagine and make a reservation there maybe that is the best way just don't seem right.
Old 02-11-2019, 02:36 PM   #20
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVMichael View Post
Must see movie for any RV owner.
Amen...