Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-12-2018, 02:21 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
Camping World

Does anyone have anything good to say about them? I'm having trouble getting them to process the paperwork to get my license plates for our new motorhome. It has been over 60 days and no plates. Is there service work any better? Should I be looking for another dealer to do warranty work?

Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 03:07 AM   #2

Model: Daybreak 22 GOC (aka 22E)
State: Alberta
THOR #7302
Camping World ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
Does anyone have anything good to say about them? I'm having trouble getting them to process the paperwork to get my license plates for our new motorhome. It has been over 60 days and no plates. Is there service work any better? Should I be looking for another dealer to do warranty work?

Have they got your money? If not it is time to walk!!! I MEAN RUN. Cancel the deal and find another RV or RV dealer. Few folks have anything good or positive to say about the Camping World experience. Check this website. Thor has a less than sterling reputation but it is not helped by its dealer network. There are pages and pages of complaints of vehicles sitting at Camping World locations around the USA for days, weeks and months for work both warranty and paid by the customer, and then it is shoddy. Things are not going to get better at that dealer in all likelihood.. Let us know how things work out.
Old 07-12-2018, 03:25 AM   #3

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
I’ve not had or have all that many dealings with CW but the ones I’ve had have been satisfactory. I have also been told that CW will be opening additional service facilities to help with the backlog. I think it’s like any other business...”it depends!”
Old 07-12-2018, 03:46 AM   #4

Model: ACE 30.2
State: Tennessee
THOR #10574
We bought our RV from a local RV shop that’s been around over 25 years because of the bad service stories we heard about CW. Sadly, I just got an email that they sold out to CW just this week. I guess we will see how that turns out.

Hauling the family around the country in our 2018 Thor ACE 30.2. Running, cycling or running my agency the rest of the time.
Ferf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 11:22 AM   #5

Model: 2016 A.C.E. 30.1
State: South Carolina
THOR #5641
I used to bring my MH to my local CW for repairs. Almost every repair I had to bring in a second time to fix what was supposedly fixed. They would order parts for the repairs and every time I called to see if they were in, they would say not yet. I would then call Thor and found out that CW either never ordered the parts or that it had already been delivered to CW (they would even tell me who signed for it and the date and time it was signed for). I will admit that it was fun to walk into CW and ask if a part was in and hear them say they are still waiting for it, then I would inform them who signed for it and the date and time it was signed for. I now bring my MH to a RV service center where they get the work done in a timely manner and do it right the first time.
Dippytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 11:48 AM   #6

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
not sure what your issue with 'plates' is, as most of us are not from Texas and don't know what you're referring to as far as how that works when you purchase an RV.

first, is this your FIRST motorhome?
if not, did you trade in a motorhome or trailer?
did they collect the 'sales tax' as part of your sales contract?
did they provide you a 'temporary' Texas paper plate?

'What' paperwork are you needing to 'get' your plate?

We purchased in Texas, though we are Georgia residents, and the dealer simply forwarded the 'Georgia TAVT' fee/tax to our Georgia county. They gave us a temporary paper 'plate' that was good for 90 days from Texas.
about two months later, when we finally 'returned' to Georgia, our tax/fee had been received there, and they simply handed us our new 'plate' for the motorhome.

There's no doubt, though, that it can take a while.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 11:50 AM   #7

Model: Freedom Elite 29fe
State: Florida
THOR #4656
If they have your money, they are on to the next sale. You are history.

Most here will tell you that they wouldn't let CW pick stones from their tire treads. If you are under warranty, Thor will authorize you to take the RV to a service center. Not only will you be happy but CW will be happy as well not having to be distracted from sales to service your RV.

2017 Freedom Elite 29fe
2015 Jeep Wrangler Toad
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 12:02 PM   #8

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
as for CW and repairs, we've dropped by CW twice in the first several years of ownership, typically to have an issue with a slide motor repaired/diagnosed.
The first, in central Georgia, was a quick and successful replacement of the main slide's front motor. (they also found one of our picture frames under the slide!)... it was all within 30minutes of us stopping in. Nice.

The second, later at another CW location, in TN I believe, was a oil change/service of the diesel engine. No issues, quick service, and a good price. Not a long wait at all... and,

At that same CW, we requested a look at our rear bedroom slide, as it would not go out. They diagnosed it and said that a motor replacement was probably in order, though it would require them to 'drill a hole thru the outer slide trim' in order to remove the motor set screw. What?? NO, I said, I would certainly not allow that, as I was sure that Thor had a 'better' way to get the slide out 'manually' to do the work. They said that it could not be done, so I packed up and left for our next Florida destination.

When I arrived in Florida, I did some research to learn how to manually extend the slide. I actually could do it myself, as the bedroom slide is not too large or heavy. I then contacted Thor and asked them to ship me a replacement motor since the CW location had diagnosed the issue but could not make the 'repair'. While Thor typically does not ship parts to customers, they did in this situation since a shop had already diagnosed the problem, and it actually would be much cheaper for Thor to send me the motor for a self install, than to pay CW for warranty labor! It worked out just fine.

So, yes, any rv shop can be hit and miss when it comes to diagnosis and repair, but I say that CW, like most shops, can easily handle most RV issues that arise, but you have to really stay on them about what you expect and how they should handle your repair. Don't always assume that any repair shop is always correct. If it doesn't sound right, or 'feel' right, take your marbles elsewhere for a 'second opinion'.

I'll also admit that I am stunned that many folks take their RVs to repair shops, and just let the facility hold their RV 'hostage' for weeks and months while the shop 'works' on their RV....baloney!! Don't do that!
Tell them your issues, tell them that you have a vacation already set in several days and you cannot 'wait' or allow them to take more than a day or two. Don't let them tell you that it will have to 'wait' until they are able to get to it.

Expect and demand your repairs be taken care of promptly!

Everytime we've stopped at CW we have told them that we are full-timers and have to have it looked at now, and repaired now.... We've yet had them turn us away or not taken care of it during that day.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 12:08 PM   #9
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
We like all of the stuff that they sell in their store...

But as far as for service:
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 12:31 PM   #10
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
My CW did well during the sales process.

Their service department was johnny on the spot fixing things and replacing bad batteries I discovered during the walkthrough before I signed any papers.

After the sale I went to their parts/service department to see what I needed to replace a wheel simulator "lug nut" that hat run off to a home in the woods and they were clueless. I did my research and got the right part (from Amazon) and everything else done to my MH has been by yours truly.

YMMV but I doubt it.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 01:24 PM   #11

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Applying for license plates goes beyond their option of selective poor service. The state requires this process be done within a stated period of time and you will he held liable for late fees. Call your local license plate office/location and get them involved if they will. CW is holding funds that belong to the state. Have you spoken with the "Title Clerk" at CW? Each location has a specific person that does this.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 01:31 PM   #12

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #4486
I've had a Camping World (Harrisburg) screw up something on my coach and then another Camping World (somewhere in NC) come to the rescue. All depends on the people that work there and how much they care about their jobs and their customers.
2015 Ford Taurus toad
schreinertms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 02:29 AM   #13

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
Thanks all for the input, most of the answers received were what I expected. CW will not be where I purchase my next RV. None of our previous RVs were purchased from CW, but their price on this motorhome was less than the other two Thor dealers in our area and we shopped for this coach for 6 months. I have spoken to the title clerk at CW and she has given me a different reason each time for not getting the paperwork processed with the DMV. I am happy with the price I paid and am happy with the coach. If this is how they process simple title paperwork I worry about taking them the coach for any warranty issues that I can't easily fix.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 05:36 AM   #14

Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
THOR #3916
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
Thanks all for the input, most of the answers received were what I expected. CW will not be where I purchase my next RV. None of our previous RVs were purchased from CW, but their price on this motorhome was less than the other two Thor dealers in our area and we shopped for this coach for 6 months. I have spoken to the title clerk at CW and she has given me a different reason each time for not getting the paperwork processed with the DMV. I am happy with the price I paid and am happy with the coach. If this is how they process simple title paperwork I worry about taking them the coach for any warranty issues that I can't easily fix.
If this goes on for another 30 days, I think and I'd mention to him/her/it that the next thing to expect is correspondence or a visit from your lawyer..
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 11:25 AM   #15

THOR #11130
Some CW locations are franchised...so I've heard. In my career of commercial truck sales, there were the few cases where a truck dealer was caught "out of trust". Basically selling a unit and not having paid the manufacturer yet, resulting in not getting the MSO which prevented proper Title Application. There also is the case where the dealer may have borrowed money locally to purchase inventory...this is called "Floor Plan". He can't get the MSO released from local bank until he pays the loan off...if he has the liquid funds. Somewhere in the mix is a term called "floating capital". There is a reason this dealer can't do the paperwork...if it were me I'd be in the GM or owners face this morning asking for documentation as to why?? There's no reason why they can't physically show you the original MSO....if they have it in hand at the dealership...and NOT a copy of the MSO. If they don't...big issues!!! If you financed this unit, they may be waiting for the funds from the finance company before they can pay off the loan. In either of these cases...if it applies to your transaction...there likely could be a lien against your unit.
Old 07-13-2018, 11:54 AM   #16
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
If this turns out to be the case: they have a place for dealers like that...

JAIL!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 12:10 PM   #17

Model: Ace 30.2
THOR #11238
CW is into selling not taking care of customers.They assume most buyers will keep their unit's for many year's so why take care of the customer after the sale. We have a 2017 class A and moving up to a diesel pusher. CW will not get our business.
Old 07-13-2018, 12:11 PM   #18
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
I don'y know about Texas but in Florida the dealer has 60 days to get your tags/title done and to you. Other wise there are procedures to file a complaint with the State and they will handle the "musclework" with the dealer for you. No need for you to get a lawyer involved.

I went through this a couple of years ago when I purchased my Sonic from a dealership that was sold 4 days after I bought the car. Once the State was involved I had my tags in less than 48 hours overnighted to me.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 12:14 PM   #19

THOR #11130
True...there was a car dealer in Union City, GA a few years ago that sold hundreds of new cars...and didn't pay off his floor plan. He also took in trades and didn't payoff the existing loans on them either, but re-sold the used cars. All of those buyers ended up fighting to keep the cars they "bought". A few did...most lost them. He tried to skip out and keep the cash. He's eating cheap bologna sandwiches now and making up Bubba's bed as he begs for someone to "put money on his account" at jail. It's an issue people don't consider happening to them. I'm not saying this is the case with Keefer, but it's worth looking into...fast!!
Old 07-14-2018, 02:26 AM   #20

Model: Axis 25.4
State: Tennessee
THOR #12170
So far, so good.

We bought ours from Camping World of Chattanooga. After stopping in the first time and seeing the busy atmosphere, I never thought I would buy an RV from them, but.... They had the best price on our floorplan of any dealer that I searched within 450 miles. I expected aggressive, pushy sales/finance people, they were not at all. On the day of delivery, they fixed the few minor issues we found very quickly.

After the sale, our salesman has returned our calls when we had questions about the coach and got our answers in a timely fashion.

I read on the forum about owners getting black tank flush systems installed. I called today, wondering how much it would be and how quickly they could do it, since we are taking our maiden voyage a week from Sunday. I am taking it Monday morning, I was quite surprised they could get to it that fast, and it will be done that day. They said I may even be able to wait on it. They are charging less than and hour labor to install.

So, thus far I am very happy with CW. That could change, but so far, so good.