Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 04-30-2018, 11:42 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2015 Axis 24.1. (E-350)
State: Ohio
THOR #11485
Angry Can't figure out the TV operation on my Axis 24.1

Just bought a 2015 Axis and there aren't any instructions for the 3 tv's. The Thor manual is as vague as a new congressional budget. I understand the park cable but I don't see a switch box to control the front, rear and outside tv. Maybe you can't but I thought if I had a satellite or wifi unit like a Fire Stick plugged in to something I might be able to select and output for whichever tv I wanted to use. Looking at the radio ( which easily accepted the Fire Stick) I thought maybe it would do that with the AV front/rear selection but it doesn't seem to do that either. Then again, maybe I'm expecting more than the coach can do and any wifi is exclusive to only 1 tv. Anybody familiar with this?
Thanks.

Old 04-30-2018, 11:48 PM   #2

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
If its like ours, select input for each TV using your remote.
Old 04-30-2018, 11:53 PM   #3

THOR #11485
Yes I understand that but I was thinking there might be a central input inside for a router or switch box. The fire stick for example, does it have to be plugged directly into the tv and can only be used on that tv? Just thought there might be a central input or control center. Thank you.
Old 05-01-2018, 12:00 AM   #4
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
No central input or distribution system. TV above the door has an HDMI cable in the cabinet above the sink (look on the top shelf, the antenna amplifier switch is also there).

Outside TV connections will be in one of the two outside storage bays below the TV (I think its the rear one--ours doesn't have an outside TV).

Bedroom TV doesn't have any connections--you just have to look around to the back and find the plugs.

Make sure you download and read Ed's excellent crowd sourced owner's manual for Axis/Vegas units:
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f10...nual-4961.html
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 12:01 AM   #5

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Welcome to the forum. You need to change your bio, you are no longer looking!

You can get TV manuals online, the Suckee TVs that came with the coach have been widely discussed here. They have no QAM tuner, so they don't work with the cable systems in some parks. Others, no problem.

When you turn on the antenna booster in the cabinet over the sink, it messes up the cable reception for all the TVs. The booster is necessary for antenna signal.

Your firestick will work with just one TV, same with a DVD player.

Ed Felker's excellent crowd-sourced manual for Axis/Vegas is a valuable resource you can download free! Here is the link: https://1drv.ms/w/s!AiYx6DLSeiiP53x246awlGrg8B-I
Old 05-01-2018, 12:30 AM   #6

THOR #11485
Thank so Jamiegeek, that's great feedback and confirmation. Much appreciated.
Old 05-01-2018, 12:52 AM   #7

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
THOR #5821
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nichoga2 View Post
Yes I understand that but I was thinking there might be a central input inside for a router or switch box. The fire stick for example, does it have to be plugged directly into the tv and can only be used on that tv? Just thought there might be a central input or control center. Thank you.
That would be nice, but nothing like that on ours. I occasionally use a Roku and move it from set to set as needed.
Old 05-01-2018, 01:39 AM   #8

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
Quote:
I had removed the MICROWAVE in our 2016 25.2 and just accidently found the coax splitter mounted on the wall just below the back of the antenna amplifier control.

If you wanted to do some really "unique" program distribution, it doesn't seem too hard to be able to do it
Old 05-03-2018, 01:07 AM   #9

Model: Axis 25.5
THOR #4802
I recently added a 4-way AV splitter to our Axis 25.5. I got 3 HDMI cables, pluged each in to the splitter and ran one from each of the 3 TV's to the cabinet above the kitchen sink, where the antenna power supply (booster) is located. I bought a cheap DVD player and wired it in to the splitter. Now I can play a DVD to any or all of of our 3 TV's. Any other AV device can also be attached to such a splitter. To get to the outside TV wiring in our Axis, I had to remove the 2 large kitchen cabinet drawers that are under the gas stove. And, to get to the wiring near the antenna power supply, I had to remove the microwave...all sorts of wiring behind the microwave.
Old 05-03-2018, 02:19 AM   #10

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldchief View Post
I recently added a 4-way AV splitter to our Axis 25.5. I got 3 HDMI cables, pluged each in to the splitter and ran one from each of the 3 TV's to the cabinet above the kitchen sink, where the antenna power supply (booster) is located. I bought a cheap DVD player and wired it in to the splitter. Now I can play a DVD to any or all of of our 3 TV's. Any other AV device can also be attached to such a splitter. To get to the outside TV wiring in our Axis, I had to remove the 2 large kitchen cabinet drawers that are under the gas stove. And, to get to the wiring near the antenna power supply, I had to remove the microwave...all sorts of wiring behind the microwave.
Yes, all sorts of trouble to get into behind the microwave.. It is allowing me to run and fish lots of 12v wiring
Old 05-03-2018, 03:23 AM   #11

State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2632
Quote:
Just bought a 2015 Axis and there aren't any instructions for the 3 tv's. The Thor manual is as vague as a new congressional budget. I understand the park cable but I don't see a switch box to control the front, rear and outside tv. Maybe you can't but I thought if I had a satellite or wifi unit like a Fire Stick plugged in to something I might be able to select and output for whichever tv I wanted to use. Looking at the radio ( which easily accepted the Fire Stick) I thought maybe it would do that with the AV front/rear selection but it doesn't seem to do that either. Then again, maybe I'm expecting more than the coach can do and any wifi is exclusive to only 1 tv. Anybody familiar with this?
Thanks.
We have Thor ace 2014 had to have coach rewired and we r still having problems with radio and TV's can anyone suggest somewhere to take it
Old 05-03-2018, 03:36 AM   #12

Model: outlaw 37ls
State: Europe
THOR #6831
it too me hours to figure it out, scrap the book, just play with every combinations of buttons until you find a pattern, still have a tough time getting 4 different channels on 4 different tv's at once
Old 05-03-2018, 04:26 AM   #13

State: Oregon
THOR #2271
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Bedroom TV doesn't have any connections--you just have to look around to the back and find the plugs.
JamieGeek, On my 25.2, there is an HDMI cable in the storage cabinet above the bed that is connected to the TV. There is also a plug there. So it is the perfect place for a DVD/Blueray player.
Old 05-03-2018, 10:36 AM   #14
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrown View Post
JamieGeek, On my 25.2, there is an HDMI cable in the storage cabinet above the bed that is connected to the TV. There is also a plug there. So it is the perfect place for a DVD/Blueray player.
Yeah they didn't think to do that on the early 24.1's sadly. Especially since the early 24.1's came with a TV/DVD combo player in the bedroom (at least ours did--perhaps it was the only one available on the pile of TVs).
Old 05-03-2018, 03:01 PM   #15

Model: Axis 25.5
THOR #4802
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrown View Post
Our's was wired the same but this will only allow you to watch a DVD or whatever on your bedroom TV. I wanted to be able to play DVD's on any of our TV's. Only way to do that is either have a DVD player for each TV or install a splitter that will let you send DVD, or any other AV device, signal to any or all TV's.
Old 05-03-2018, 03:46 PM   #16

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
Nichoga2:

I have a 2015 Vegas 24.1 like yours. Here is a picture of the inside of the kitchen cabinet above the sink, top shelf. Let me describe some of the things that you see there.

1 -- the rear most black panel is for the antenna amplifier. It has a tiny button you press to turn the amp on and off. It also has a small green LED to indicate when the amp is on. This is a bear to reach even with a stool. When you raise and use the antenna you need to have the amp on. When you are hooked to cable the amp MUST be off. If you leave it on when on cable the TVs will not scan cable channels (more on that later).

2 -- middle black plate is a 115 V plug. The gray electrical cable plugged into it is the cable for the microwave.

3 -- front black plate is a second 115 V plug.

4 -- notice I have a Blue Ray player on the shelf. The cable you see coming out of the hole is an HDMI cable that goes to the TV in the living area above the front door. The 2015 Vegas is not wired such that you can select which TV will use the DVD input. If you have an external TV, you will find that you can connect a DVD or game console to it; however, those connections are contained in one of the storage compartments located under the external TV. By the way, to unplug the power cable for the external TV, remove the large drawers in the kitchen. You'll find the electrical plog behind them.

5 -- the TV in my bedroom is not the same brand as the main and exterior TVs. The one in the bedroom is a Saikyo and it has a self-contained DVD player built into the side of the TV.

6 -- Seiki TVs. My living room and external TVs are SEIKIs. There has been a ton of stuff written about them here on the forum. The tuner in these TV are digital: however, they are not quadrature amplitude modulation (QAM) capable. What this means is these SEIKI TVs will scan cable channels like from DISH or other cable systems that are not encoded. For cable signals that are encoded like Verizon (or the cable system at Disney World Fort Wilderness), the TV tuner will not decode the signal and find channels. I have only ever not been able to scan Fort Wilderness and one other RV park's cable signal. The afore mentioned SAIKYO TV in the bedroom has a QAM capable tuner and that TV has always scanned cable channels wherever we have camped.

By the way, going back to the kitchen cabinet above the sink. The inside wall on the left side of the cabinet in the upper shelf area has a false wall. You can see the screws that hold this wooden panel in place. Behind that panel is the slide controller for the Lippert system for the electric bunk. The slide controller for the living room slide is in the storage area under the drivers seat. It's important to know where the controllers are because when the Lippert slide system has a failure or doesn't operate that controller has LEDs that flash a troubleshooting code.

Finally, as recommended above, I researched all the systems on my 2015 Vegas 24.1 and compiled an in-depth owners' manual for my Vegas. The manual contains checklists, troubleshooting info, pictures showing locations of relays/switches/fuses, modification suggestions, etc. I have shared that manual this far with about 1400 owners (many of them Thor products not Vegas or Axis). I think you'd find the manual very informative. Here is a link where you can download it:
https://1drv.ms/w/s!AiYx6DLSeiiP6UNyy_VYGDO0BW6L

Good Luck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0190.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	10058  
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 03:50 PM   #17
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
How much is your time worth?

You could always use a wireless HDMI solution (Amazon).
Old 05-11-2018, 06:37 PM   #18
sip

THOR #5882
I spent a LOT of time researching how to distribute content to the 3 tvs. I thought about running new hdmi cables (our 24.1 only has coax going to all tvs), various wireless options, hdmi over ethernet, blah blah ...

I eventually settled on sending hdmi over coax. I didn't have to do any wiring and the receiver can be powered directly off the TV's USB port which makes the wiring super simple.

Quality is excellent!

The one I went with is E-SDS 1080P HDMI Extender over Coaxial cable
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0107W8OQ2

There is a very slight lag (maybe a few hundred ms) so if you have one tv directly connected to a source and one going through this, the audio will be slightly offset. But I wired all tvs and our front dash radio using the output of these so they are all in sync.

Currently I have our dish network receiver in the cabinet in the kitchen but the good news with coax distribution is you can put the sender anywhere and I think you can even have multiple senders.

Note that you need a receiver to decode the hdmi signal over the coax ... it recovers the signal in digital form so it's not like sending hdmi over rf and have the tv tune to it ... I did not want that.
Old 05-11-2018, 06:40 PM   #19
sip

THOR #5882
Forgot to say to power off tv's usb, you need 5V usb cables like these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07572TLBQ (usb to DC 2.1mm x 5.5mm male plug).
Old 05-11-2018, 08:25 PM   #20

State: Alabama
THOR #6446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldchief View Post
Could you clarify how you got HDMI cable from exterior TV to the interior cabinet? The exterior compartment is valuable space so I don't currently keep a DVD player there. I'd love to be able to use the inside player on exterior TV.
Safe_t_Plus, Spare mount underneath
Dynamat Extreme / Hoodliner Doghouse Treatment
2016vegas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axis 24.1 tv, axis multimedia, axis wifi