Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 09-19-2019, 08:41 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Sequence 20K
State: Wisconsin
THOR #16692
Can't remove generator cover

We bought a used 2019 Thor Freedom Elite 22HE. When going through orientation at CW, we noticed the Cummins Onan generator cover did not have enough clearance to completely remove cover. I can only tilt cover up and slide to the right. Makes it hard to fill the oil. It seems as if the generator was mounted too close to the frame of the RV so that the cover cannot slide off. I've looked at it since I got it home and cannot see any way of moving the generator in the box to get more clearance to remove cover? Any one have any suggestions?

Old 09-19-2019, 08:58 PM   #2

Model: 22FE
State: New York
THOR #5330
Yes, I have a suggestion to remove it, turn the two knobs in front to loose cover, slide cover up not sideways, pull out top, it will only come out maybe an inch or two, slide cover up till bottom unclips from generator frame, lift cover straight out.

To replace cover, reverse procedure.
Old 09-19-2019, 09:52 PM   #3

THOR #16692
There is not enough room to pull the top of cover out. It hits the frame of the RV
Old 09-20-2019, 01:10 AM   #4

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
Quote:
Originally Posted by dand View Post
We bought a used 2019 Thor Freedom Elite 22HE. When going through orientation at CW, we noticed the Cummins Onan generator cover did not have enough clearance to completely remove cover. I can only tilt cover up and slide to the right. Makes it hard to fill the oil. It seems as if the generator was mounted too close to the frame of the RV so that the cover cannot slide off. I've looked at it since I got it home and cannot see any way of moving the generator in the box to get more clearance to remove cover? Any one have any suggestions?
We loosen the cover, slide up until the bottom clears the generator, then let it drop down and remove it from under the RV.

We fought it until we discovered this trick. Once on the ground, it is easy to maneuver to slide it out from under the coach..

Of course, may not work for you, and your mileage may vary...
Old 09-20-2019, 03:27 AM   #5

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo_Mike View Post
We loosen the cover, slide up until the bottom clears the generator, then let it drop down and remove it from under the RV.

We fought it until we discovered this trick. Once on the ground, it is easy to maneuver to slide it out from under the coach..

Of course, may not work for you, and your mileage may vary...
That's how it was done on our last class c.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 11:34 PM   #6

THOR #16692
As you can see in the picture, there is not enough clearance for the top of the cover to come forward to lift off. Is there some way to move the generator box farther back so there is enough clearance?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190921_164049.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	20400  
Old 09-22-2019, 03:41 AM   #7

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
Your saying once the cover is tilted like in the picture you can't lift it straight up? That's messed up.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 02:23 PM   #8

THOR #16692
Yes, it seems like it was mounted improperly at factory and no one ever checked it out. I'm trying to see if I can loosen the mounting bolts and slide it farther back but there doesn't seem to be much room for adjustment
Old 10-02-2019, 07:30 PM   #9

THOR #16692
I was able to get cover off by loosening generator box mounting bolts so that generator came down far enough so that I had enough clearance to slide cover off. But this is only a temporary fix. To make it permanent, I would have to remove the box and then put spacers on the mounting bolts so that when I reinstall the box it doesn't go so high up that I maintain the proper clearance. I think I'm going to leave it where it is and loosen bolts to remove cover when I need to change oil. Poor quality inspection at factory!
Old 10-03-2019, 08:37 AM   #10

Model: Four Winds 24F
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #13098
When we got our 24F, I remember that the genny cover was quite tight... I could not raise it up far enough to remove.....any way I applied some muscle and the cover finally gave way.......I then took a grinder and removed material form the top of the cover until it webt on and off as it should....I believe as stated above that the genny was mounted too close to the RV frame.
Old 10-04-2019, 03:48 AM   #11

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37K
State: Virginia
THOR #12448
We have friends with a 2015(ish) Hurricane. The cover on their generator only has maybe about 1/2" of clearance. It's a major pain to maneuver the cover to get it oriented right and out of the cargo door in order to access the oil/filter and internal controls. As I recall (it's been a little while), the earlier advice of lifting it up until the cover's bottom tabs clear the slot is the way to go as there is sufficient room above, but if there were any less room, it might not be possible to remove the cover.

Things like that definitely are a head-scratcher when you try to wrap your mind around what the person who designed that was thinking.