Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-15-2018, 04:02 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: New Hampshire
THOR #12350
Car storage options?

We live in New Hampshire. We’re heading south for the winter for the first time and leaving our two cars behind in the garage. What do I need to do to the cars to ensure they are still driveable when we return in the spring. Especially, how do I keep the mice, squirrels and chippies out of the cars during our absence?

Old 07-15-2018, 04:29 PM   #2

Model: 22FE
State: Washington
THOR #8606
For what it's worth, I'd park them on blocks or jacks to take weight off suspension, some dessicant and I've heard moth balls inside interior keeps a lot of critters out. I've left 1 or sometimes 2 cars in garage in A/C'd garage in summers in AZ. for up to 6 months and parked on jack stands and put a Battery Tender on them. Also have left 1 car in the winters in WA. state in garage not heated, moth balls and dessicant inside, parked on jack stands, Battery Tender. Never had problems with dead battery or critters. Some others may have some good ideas as to what to do parked outside as far as something sprayed or put on ground.
Old 07-15-2018, 04:40 PM   #3
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
1. plug it into a Battery Tender.
2. Add a fuel stabilizing product to the fuel tank, and let the car run for a while
to circulate it up into the fuel injection system.
3. We've used peppermint oil soaked cotton balls; to keep the critters away
from the important stuff...
4. Air your tires up by probably ten pounds.
5. Enjoy your Winter respite from the snow!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 04:55 PM   #4

Model: Chateau 31L
State: Florida
THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve76 View Post
For what it's worth, I'd park them on blocks or jacks to take weight off suspension, some dessicant and I've heard moth balls inside interior keeps a lot of critters out. I've left 1 or sometimes 2 cars in garage in A/C'd garage in summers in AZ. for up to 6 months and parked on jack stands and put a Battery Tender on them. Also have left 1 car in the winters in WA. state in garage not heated, moth balls and dessicant inside, parked on jack stands, Battery Tender. Never had problems with dead battery or critters. Some others may have some good ideas as to what to do parked outside as far as something sprayed or put on ground.
I'll second this. I had a car that only came out between Memorial Day and Labor Day. Garage kept the rest of the time. Jack stands and battery tender. With the right jack stands the little [bleeps] can get a grip and get to the car
Old 07-15-2018, 09:40 PM   #5

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
On the other hand....my mother in law recently passed away. She lived in Milwaukee and apparently hadn’t driven her car even an inch in 16 months (and put fewer than 2000 miles on it since 2015j. It was in an unheated garage but apparently was started once in a while. We put a battery charger on it for a day and used the charger to help crank it the first time but it started right up. Bought a new battery, fresh gas and drove to southern Missouri without any problems. It’s a Chevrolet so there you go.
Old 07-15-2018, 09:54 PM   #6
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Stranger things have happened...
I'd rather trust a decent set of storage protocols; but that's just me!
Old 07-15-2018, 10:03 PM   #7

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Stranger things have happened...

I'd rather trust a decent set of storage protocols; but that's just me!

For sure! I think with even minimal prep you should be able to store it without fear. I’d look for a full tank of ethanol free gas with Sta-bil in it and a battery tender or remove the battery and replace when you get back if it’s more than about 7years old.
Old 07-15-2018, 10:24 PM   #8
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Now we're talking!
But I AM glad to hear that your Mother-In-Law's car made it through the quiet spell!
I'm also sorry to hear of her loss...
Old 07-16-2018, 09:45 AM   #9

State: New Hampshire
THOR #12350
All good advice and thanks to everyone. Unfortunately, the rodent population exploded this year in the Northeast and there is no sign that it’s declining. Subaru dealer pulled six very dead mice out of my ventilation system last week. From the smell of things, they may have missed one or two. Pest control guy said mice are very adaptive. They quickly become accustomed to the smell of Irish Spring, moth balls, peppermint oil and the sound of the ultrasonic devices. One or more of the mice even made a nest of chewed up Bounce sheets. I’m using poison blocks and snap traps now but that won’t keep them out of the vehicles. May just have to buy two new cars when we get back in March/April.
Old 07-16-2018, 11:54 AM   #10
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
When they can get used to this...
That's when we're in trouble!

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1531742050
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	543388_67338_orig_custom-ba0e447e41102bea4e3de3b4375b4a03260b586e-s800-c85.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	11500