Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 09-28-2019, 11:07 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Palazzo 36.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #13712
The Cat did this

Well it finally happened to us, water overflow while boondocking. We were parked at our daughter's in upstate NY enjoying a glass of wine by the firepit. The night ended and aswe were walking to the Palazzo, i heard water running and our pump struggling to get water. I ran and jumped in the coach to find the kitchen sink spaying water down the drain. The cat had knocked the fauceton and the system emptied about 50 gals of water into the grey aater tank, too bad there was about 20 gallons in the tank already. Well when the grey tank is full the shower becomes the low point and the over ofvthe shower went all over the batroom floor a nd out the seams to the ground. Dried everything out, chased the cat down, but didn't toss him out, DW saved his butt.
Lesson learned to pass on. If you're not in the coach, shut the water pump off, AND, put a bungee around the faucet handle because if we were on city water we would still be drying stuff out. Or, don't have a cat that climbs everywhere.

Enjoy the journey, one day at a time!
Chuck and Mary Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 11:20 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Ouch! .i guess it's a good thing that the cat survived the aftermath!
Did everything dry out okay?
Old 09-29-2019, 12:18 AM   #3

THOR #13712
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Ouch! .i guess it's a good thing that the cat survived the aftermath!
Did everything dry out okay?
Well the good news is that for some reason the auto leveling system had the left rear just a tad low so the water all ran to that side and seemed to go out in that corner. We ran the diesel for about 30 minutes that night to,get some heat into the floor, use my daughters wet vac and got about 10 gallons out of the arearan the engine again in the am and checked and opened up as much as possible. Knowing that these builders use OSB, I figure there will be some damage behind the bathroom vanity and toilet flooring. I'm one of the Palazzos where the engine hatch was not cut so the floor ran the water out the edges. Only time will tell. But I'm telling you Bob, that faucet is bungeed when we are not there city or not. Oh, and the cat does think twice about getting near that faucet

Old 09-29-2019, 12:59 AM   #4

Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
Another good reason to not have a cat.
Old 09-29-2019, 03:25 AM   #5

Model: ACE 30.1
State: Ohio
THOR #14952
Reason enough to not have a cat at all....ever [emoji849]. Sorry to hear about all the water problems, hope there is no permanent damage. Those wet vacs are a life saver arent they? What exactly do you mean about putting a bungee around the faucet? I have heard that turning off the water pump and the water supply outside (if you are hooked up) can really save your bacon.
Old 09-29-2019, 10:15 AM   #6

THOR #13712
Quote:
Originally Posted by lal22 View Post
Reason enough to not have a cat at all....ever [emoji849]. Sorry to hear about all the water problems, hope there is no permanent damage. Those wet vacs are a life saver arent they? What exactly do you mean about putting a bungee around the faucet? I have heard that turning off the water pump and the water supply outside (if you are hooked up) can really save your bacon.
Some days I'm sure the cat I think the Cats are held in higher regard than I am, but I have my Mini Husky and she keeps an eye on them, to bad she was with us at the fire pit!

Old 09-29-2019, 10:22 AM   #7

THOR #13712
Quote:
Originally Posted by lal22 View Post
Our faucet is a lever type so what he did was push the lever to the "on" position. If you buy a set of "Bungee Balls" (black elastic cord with a black or red ball on the end that you loop the elastic around - you could also use a rubber band) from a camping store and wrap it around the lever and the spout, it can't be accidentally turned on - takes 3 seconds to do, but could have saved 40 gallons of water and a heck of a lot of clean up.

Old 09-29-2019, 10:44 AM   #8

State: Missouri
THOR #5437
Our cat did the same thing however we were on city water. I have since started to turn the water off before leaving.
Old 09-29-2019, 10:55 AM   #9

THOR #13712
Quote:
Originally Posted by be happy View Post
Our cat did the same thing however we were on city water. I have since started to turn the water off before leaving.
I'm guessing you were on sewer as well, or you would have a yacht! I'm Cat tolerant as they are my wife's cats!

Old 09-29-2019, 01:42 PM   #10
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
This episode does point ou the logic behind why we keep ou dog off of the kitchen countertops...

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1569769105
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Assistant Chef1.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	20556  
Old 09-29-2019, 02:49 PM   #11

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
something similar happened in our Palazzo, too - our son's cat, Lonely, apparently decided to take a shower while we were gone!

We came back and realized that the shower was on, while nobody was home...hmmm, crazy. And, as it happened, it was the HOT side she had nudged ON, so the whole bathroom was full of condensation, all over the mirrors and anything metal, of course, which was all dripping, but also all over all the wood cabinets - CRAZY!

Of course, the cat hadn't thought to turn on the roof fan! Bad Cat! : /
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 03:00 PM   #12

Model: ACE 30.1
State: Ohio
THOR #14952
"something similar happened in our Palazzo, too - our son's cat, Lonely, apparently decided to take a shower while we were gone!"

One of my dogs turns on the shower for the other dog, then scrubs him down, at least that is what we think happens when we see one dogs all wet. Show me a cat that can do that! [emoji16][emoji16][emoji16][emoji16][emoji16] ... just kidding
Old 10-05-2019, 06:45 PM   #13

State: Colorado
THOR #6286
Sorry to hear.....

I don’t have a cat but thought I’d take the opportunity to share this is a good example of why I’ve gotten into the habit of turning my pump off and/or shutting the city water connection whenever I go out for a walkabout. I get funny looks from time to time but an RV does vibrate so you never know when water connections loosen up. I hope it didn’t cause too much heartache or damage. Cheers
Old 10-05-2019, 08:12 PM   #14

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Kentucky
THOR #2817
I wonder if the cat, like ours, always wants to drink from the faucets in the RV? Perhaps yours is smarter than ours and doesn't need to wait for someone to turn it on. We seldom leave our water pump switch on. It is on only when we are using water. I suspect that I will need to replace the switch sometime. I don't know if we have ever connected city water to our RV. We fill the tank and run off the pump. I have replaced the water pump once in four years.
Old 10-05-2019, 09:35 PM   #15

Brand: DRV
State: Texas
THOR #9543
Another good reason to swap out the poorly designed faucet. Ours had a weighted lever on the side, and we discovered that the bouncing while towing, forced the lever down, and open. Even with the pump off, there’s a couple of gallons in the lines. Ask me how I know. DRV replaced ours with a top mounted lever. We have a beautiful, well behaved cat.
2017 36RSSB3--2012 F350 KR, LWB, SRW, bilsteins, 1 1/4" anti sway bar, bilstein steering stabilizer, airlift air bags, on board wireless compressor, 295/20 tires at 4080 pounds each, oversized finned aluminum diff and trannie pans, all synthetic fluids; KEM, Tyrant, and PIP tunes with SCT X4 programming, G37 2017 Turbo, ATS Stage I towing transmission and torque convertor, Edge CTS gauge monitoring.
clev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 09:36 PM   #16

THOR #16806
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck and Mary Ann View Post
Well it finally happened to us, water overflow while boondocking. We were parked at our daughter's in upstate NY enjoying a glass of wine by the firepit. The night ended and aswe were walking to the Palazzo, i heard water running and our pump struggling to get water. I ran and jumped in the coach to find the kitchen sink spaying water down the drain. The cat had knocked the fauceton and the system emptied about 50 gals of water into the grey aater tank, too bad there was about 20 gallons in the tank already. Well when the grey tank is full the shower becomes the low point and the over ofvthe shower went all over the batroom floor a nd out the seams to the ground. Dried everything out, chased the cat down, but didn't toss him out, DW saved his butt.
Lesson learned to pass on. If you're not in the coach, shut the water pump off, AND, put a bungee around the faucet handle because if we were on city water we would still be drying stuff out. Or, don't have a cat that climbs everywhere.
Yours is not the first water disaster I’ve heard... our routine is to turn off the water at the spigot and the water pump as well every time we leave the park. Every. Flippin. Time.
Old 10-06-2019, 11:46 AM   #17

Model: Hurricane 34J
THOR #15745
Darn cats get a dog. ��
Old 10-08-2019, 12:12 AM   #18
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
KC travels with us and...his only request is that we lower the bunk when arriving at our destination...that is his domain
Click image for larger version

Name:	KC IN BUNK..jpg
Views:	66
Size:	111.3 KB
ID:	20715

...and of course, he must have access to as many windows as possible.

HOWEVER !! I am going to make note about this possible issue...we seldom use the water pump unless we make a pit stop going down the road. Knowing cats...anything can happen. That handle on the kitchen spout is going to be secured from now on !!

Thank YOU for sharing !!

K
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 12:33 AM   #19

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Kentucky
THOR #2817
Remember to keep an eye on the cat when you retract the slide out(s). We have friends who's cat was nearly squashed because it was in the wrong spot at the wrong time.

Kitty rules the roost.
Old 10-08-2019, 12:57 AM   #20

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
One more reason to not have an indoor cat. They are great around the ranch, but as companions in the coach, no.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote