Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 04-27-2018, 01:32 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Ace 30.4
State: Louisiana
THOR #9620
Flat tire experience / Stainless steel extension

While checking tire pressures on my Thor Ace, I notice one of the inner rear tires was zero. Since I hadn’t left yet, this was not covered by roadside assistance. After removing the tire myself and taking it to a tire repair place, turns out the tire was fine. The stainless steel extension however was leaking. Thor customer service was great and had me a free replacement within four days. Just posting this because it’s unlikely mine is the only one to fail, if you have a flat tire, check the extension hose.

Old 04-27-2018, 03:13 AM   #2

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
I have come to believe that extensions, even the best stainless steel ones, have a relatively high failure rate. For me the answer is dually valves - essentially long stems installed so that both are accessible from the outside rim. They cost me $100 (online from “Your Tire Shop”) and another $100 to have them installed. Naturally it requires removing the tires from the wheel and remounting. For the life of me I can’t understand why our coaches don’t come with these. They are terrific.
Old 04-27-2018, 05:56 AM   #3

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Illinois
THOR #8503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeagle63 View Post
While checking tire pressures on my Thor Ace, I notice one of the inner rear tires was zero. Since I hadn’t left yet, this was not covered by roadside assistance. After removing the tire myself and taking it to a tire repair place, turns out the tire was fine. The stainless steel extension however was leaking. Thor customer service was great and had me a free replacement within four days. Just posting this because it’s unlikely mine is the only one to fail, if you have a flat tire, check the extension hose.
I had the same thing on the inside rear tire on the passenger side of my ACE. I discovered this while in the middle of a long trip. I checked it one morning and it only had 10 PSI. I pumped it up and checked it regularly all day and it stayed OK. The next morning it was down to 65 PSI. It was this way the rest of the trip, OK all day when I was driving, then would lose air overnight when we were parked. I didn't even think about calling Thor at the time, but as soon as I got home, I took it to the local Ford dealer for an oil change and asked them to check the tire. It was the extension leaking. They replaced it and it has been OK since.
FMCA #F479085
Good Sam #848205704
wayneroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 11:04 AM   #4

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #5313
When I first brought Vegas home the pass side extension would not give reading. Took it ofF and used extended air chuck. 6 months later I took time to check out. Figured out how to adjust using lond needlenose with 90 degree ends. Has worked fine ever since. Never had to remove wheel, just hucap.
Old 04-27-2018, 06:46 PM   #5

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
I eventually pulled off my wheel simulators for better access, and removed all extensions. I wish that I'd done it a long time ago!
Old 04-27-2018, 10:53 PM   #6

Model: Magellan
THOR #6001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
I have come to believe that extensions, even the best stainless steel ones, have a relatively high failure rate. For me the answer is dually valves - essentially long stems installed so that both are accessible from the outside rim. They cost me $100 (online from “Your Tire Shop”) and another $100 to have them installed. Naturally it requires removing the tires from the wheel and remounting. For the life of me I can’t understand why our coaches don’t come with these. They are terrific.
X2

A few months ago i finally put on the dually valve stems. I got tired of the looong time they took to air up and their venerability to fail. When we got our new to us coach i had the same experience, inside tire at zero. I had the other tire removed and checked as it was carrying all the weight and wanted to make sure there was no damage. I was lucky all was good. Love my dually valve stems.
bruce1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 01:00 AM   #7

THOR #6826
Oh, and I also consider TPMS to be an essential accessory. Don’t leave home without it. I use TireMinder but there are several good
Old 04-28-2018, 01:43 AM   #8

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
I wish Thor would outfit their RV's with decent rear wheel valve extensions. I had the same happen, had a tire guy I have dealt with for years, install all new, stems and extensions. Now all are accessible from the outside wheel, easily.
Old 05-23-2018, 04:06 AM   #9

Model: Freedom Elite 28H
State: New York
THOR #7582
If you want to try extended valve stems, you need to look elsewhere. I just tried to contact "Your Tire Shop". They're out of business. You're going to have to try Borg. They're a little cheaper anyway.
Old 05-28-2018, 12:34 PM   #10

THOR #6826
Well I just went on their web site (yourtireshopsupply.com) and it seems to work fine. Still lots of good info on dually valves there. Good luck.
Old 05-28-2018, 03:14 PM   #11

THOR #7582
Try calling them at any of the listed phone numbers. All of them have been disconnected. They don't answer emails either. That qualifies at out of business to me. Websites mean nothing. They live on even after we die.
Old 05-28-2018, 07:31 PM   #12

THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim5554 View Post
Try calling them at any of the listed phone numbers. All of them have been disconnected. They don't answer emails either. That qualifies at out of business to me. Websites mean nothing. They live on even after we die.

Bummer!
Old 05-28-2018, 07:40 PM   #13

THOR #7582
No worry. Borg is still in business and they ship fast. I got them a few days after ordering. They're chome plated and a little cheaper. It looks like they're the only game in town.