Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-05-2019, 01:13 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #11800
Cb radio

We want to install a cb radio in our axis 24.1.Can I get some advice on this subject.

Old 08-05-2019, 01:25 PM   #2

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
I put one in my 2018 Siesta. No license required. I bought a mini cobra 40 channel on amazon for around $50.00 and a magnetic mount antennae for about $35.00. I installed the radio on a mini shelf that we have above the driver side and used zip ties to keep in place. I bought an extended dc power/cigarette lighter end and connected it to the radio. When I travel I can just stick the antennae outside the cab on the fender/hood area and plug the radio into the cigarette lighter for power. The antennae goes out through the door. I pulled the rubber door molding back slightly and pushed the power cable under it out of the way plus it is hidden under the rubber molding. All together the total cost was under $100.00.
Old 08-05-2019, 02:39 PM   #3
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by scdet499 View Post
We want to install a cb radio in our axis 24.1.Can I get some advice on this subject.
Since the body is fiberglass look for a good 'no ground plane" CB antenna. You can find quite a few doing a simple google search.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 04:30 PM   #4

State: New York
THOR #15037
I keep hoping for a solid answer myself. I have a Class A, Windsport and am struggling with the antenna. I am on strike one with a window mount as I may have placed it in the wrong place. Was able to communicate on top of a trucker, but had no distance. I am going to try another window mount with a new location. Hopefully others can provide US some advice.
Old 08-05-2019, 10:11 PM   #5
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasL View Post
I keep hoping for a solid answer myself. I have a Class A, Windsport and am struggling with the antenna. I am on strike one with a window mount as I may have placed it in the wrong place. Was able to communicate on top of a trucker, but had no distance. I am going to try another window mount with a new location. Hopefully others can provide US some advice.
On my list to install.. purchased a ‘no ground plane’ antenna that is supposed to require no holes drilled.
Still need to find a graceful way to run wire in the Pilar along edge of windshield.
When it cools off a little...
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 08:58 AM   #6

Brand: Still Looking
State: Missouri
THOR #5437
On my ACE I installed a NGP antenna, I purchased a 3ft antenna with a side mount (not the black plastic). I had to drill 5 holes in the side of the coach 4 for the bracket and 1 for the coax. I located a place on the coach before the slide and above the drivers window. The instructions for the antenna said make sure you have 2/3 antenna above roof line. Before tightening the bolts I put silicone caulk all around to make sure there was not going to be a leak. As for the antenna coax I run it along the inside of the coach to the windshield post and down. For a NGP antenna there is a special coax to use. I would check out this place for all your needs https://www.walcottradio.com

Tags
cb radio