Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-18-2017, 07:37 PM   #1
Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Tennessee
Posts: 80
Chassis AC not cooling properly on 2017 Vegas 24.1

My chassis AC will not cool properly in warm weather. At best only 10 degrees difference between discharge and ambient temperature (using a refrigeration duct thermometer). Even with outside air turned off. Once the sun goes down it will drop to 20 to 25 degrees cooler. Our last trip was to Newfoundland in May. Hardly a hot place. Hate to think about going out west!

1. Is the Chasses AC system Fords or Thors responsibility?

2. Wanted to hook up my Refrigeration gauges to check pressure but the Low pressure connection is almost impossible to access. Way back in the center area below the defrost duct well buried under several hoses. Anyone else been there and have some ideas?
__________________

JoeDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 08:31 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
Posts: 491
Ford only supplies the A/C compressor. Everything else is purchased by Thor Motor Coach from an aftermarket A/C system vendor. It is usually up to the dealer to repair the system. To my knowledge Thor does not stock repair parts for chassis A/C. Since very few dealers have certified A/C techs, Thor Motor Coach will usually authorize you to take your coach to a certified truck air conditioner specialist for evaluation. If you save the parts that were replaced and return them to Thor, Thor will reimburse you in about a month. The reason it works that way is Thor returns the bad parts to the vendor for credit. Works that way for non-Thor dealers working on Thor coaches under warranty, also.
__________________

__________________
Jim & Roy Davis
2016 Hurricane 31S
1961 Rampside in tow
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 08:59 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
Posts: 273
I had same issue with my 2016 Vegas. Getting fitting on is possible. Added R-134a untill sight glass cleared, is fine now. Go easy as it is very easy to ocercharge. Watch high side pressure during charging.
Muggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 11:23 PM   #4
Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Tennessee
Posts: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
Ford only supplies the A/C compressor. Everything else is purchased by Thor Motor Coach from an aftermarket A/C system vendor. It is usually up to the dealer to repair the system. To my knowledge Thor does not stock repair parts for chassis A/C. Since very few dealers have certified A/C techs, Thor Motor Coach will usually authorize you to take your coach to a certified truck air conditioner specialist for evaluation. If you save the parts that were replaced and return them to Thor, Thor will reimburse you in about a month. The reason it works that way is Thor returns the bad parts to the vendor for credit. Works that way for non-Thor dealers working on Thor coaches under warranty, also.
Thanks. That's what I needed to know. Lots of room for error in that type of install. Mine just wont cool well.
JoeDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 11:30 PM   #5
Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Tennessee
Posts: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muggs View Post
I had same issue with my 2016 Vegas. Getting fitting on is possible. Added R-134a untill sight glass cleared, is fine now. Go easy as it is very easy to ocercharge. Watch high side pressure during charging.
Yours has a sight glass! How lucky. A fool proof way to check charge. Have not seen one on mine. Was your low side fitting way back in the middle, behind the wiper motor and below the defrost duct?
JoeDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 01:22 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
Posts: 273
Sight glass on top of drier tank. High side is close to it. Low side is a pain but doable. I did loosen vent hose.

I also had trouble with flat piece that holds vent connections. It pulled the rubber expanding anchors twice. I tapped them 5/16" = 24 and now it will not flop around.
Muggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 03:26 PM   #7
Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Tennessee
Posts: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muggs View Post
Sight glass on top of drier tank. High side is close to it. Low side is a pain but doable. I did loosen vent hose.

I also had trouble with flat piece that holds vent connections. It pulled the rubber expanding anchors twice. I tapped them 5/16" = 24 and now it will not flop around.
Double checked for sight glass. None on my 2017. The low side location is just plain stupid. They even ran the hot water heater hose over the hot of it just to make it harder.
__________________

JoeDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by



ThorForums.com is not in any way associated with Thor Industries or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2