Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 11-18-2017, 06:32 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Oregon
THOR #7738
Chassis power won't shut off

I recently had the brake cable and sensor fixed and now the button that turns off the power won't turn off to the chassis. Plus all my batteries are being drained. Both the house and engine batteries. Anyone had this issue?

Old 11-18-2017, 06:52 PM   #2

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
We have a USE/STORE button for the house batteries but nothing to turn off the chassis battery.
Old 11-18-2017, 07:00 PM   #3

THOR #7738
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis earl View Post
We have a USE/STORE button for the house batteries but nothing to turn off the chassis battery.

Yes that is the button that won't turn off the power.
Old 11-18-2017, 07:04 PM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
When you hit that button; are you hearing anything click or beep?
If not: you might have a bad switch???
(I put a bayonet style disconnect in my setup: no more parasitic losses! )
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 07:28 PM   #5

THOR #7738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
When you hit that button; are you hearing anything click or beep?

If not: you might have a bad switch???

(I put a bayonet style disconnect in my setup: no more parasitic losses! )

I used to prior to the brake cable and sensor being installed. Now it doesn't do anything. Do you think they messed it up?

Also will that kill my house and engine batteries?
Old 11-18-2017, 07:39 PM   #6

Model: 22FE
State: Washington
THOR #8606
That switch should not effect your chassis/engine battery. As far as drain, yes eventually it will. Idea: maybe turning off the main breaker will stop the parasitic drain? Seems to me that the coach battery power would go first to the main breaker before power to anything else.
Old 11-18-2017, 07:43 PM   #7

THOR #7738
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve76 View Post
That switch should not effect your chassis/engine battery. As far as drain, yes eventually it will. Idea: maybe turning off the main breaker will stop the parasitic drain? Seems to me that the coach battery power would go first to the main breaker before power to anything else.

Thanks. Just seems suspicious that they have my rig for a month and it was working fine until they reinstalled a brake cable and brake sensor cable and now this switch doesn't work.
Old 11-18-2017, 08:08 PM   #8
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve76 View Post
Except the breakers are for 120 VAC and I'm pretty sure we are talking 12 VDC here.

Unless, you are talking about the 50 or 100 Amp standalone breaker in the battery bay that looks like this?

But that is for the house batteries. He is complaining about chassis batteries.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 11:06 PM   #9
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnjlindsey View Post
I used to prior to the brake cable and sensor being installed. Now it doesn't do anything. Do you think they messed it up?

Also will that kill my house and engine batteries?
If it worked before they touched; and didn't when you got it back...
You already know the answer...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 12:02 AM   #10

Model: ACE 30.3 Sold
State: Arkansas
THOR #8012
Quote:
I recently had the brake cable and sensor fixed and now the button that turns off the power won't turn off to the chassis. Plus all my batteries are being drained. Both the house and engine batteries. Anyone had this issue?
You may be mixing up terms, which in turn is resulting in confused responses.

Just to be clear. Most coaches (you don't have yours listed and I don't remember from your previous threads) have three batteries.

Two are "coach" batteries and control things like your lights in the coach, vent fans, power to the furnace, power to start generator, etc.

One that is the "chassis" battery, and that starts the engine, and powers most things that would normally be on in a car/truck if the switch is turned on (headlights, parking lights, etc).

Pressing store on the Use/Store switch only cuts power from the coach batteries to the coach and as a result interior lights, vent fans, etc. will no longer have power. It does not cut power to the chassis battery, so things like headlights, parking lights, etc. will still have power.

So, there is one of two possibilities.

1. When you are saying it used to turn off power to the "chassis" you really mean to the "coach."

2. You are remembering wrong the behavior of the use/store switch from before the work was performed.
Old 11-19-2017, 01:48 AM   #11

THOR #7738
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnedator View Post
You may be mixing up terms, which in turn is resulting in confused responses.

Just to be clear. Most coaches (you don't have yours listed and I don't remember from your previous threads) have three batteries.

Two are "coach" batteries and control things like your lights in the coach, vent fans, power to the furnace, power to start generator, etc.

One that is the "chassis" battery, and that starts the engine, and powers most things that would normally be on in a car/truck if the switch is turned on (headlights, parking lights, etc).

Pressing store on the Use/Store switch only cuts power from the coach batteries to the coach and as a result interior lights, vent fans, etc. will no longer have power. It does not cut power to the chassis battery, so things like headlights, parking lights, etc. will still have power.

So, there is one of two possibilities.

1. When you are saying it used to turn off power to the "chassis" you really mean to the "coach."

2. You are remembering wrong the behavior of the use/store switch from before the work was performed.

Yes I mean the coach. No I am not remembering incorrect. The coach was started several times while at CW before they reinstalled the brake cable and brake sensor cable. After they installed it they parked it for about three days and found the batteries dead when I went to pick it up. They jumped it so I could bring it home. When I got it home I parked it and let it run and ran the generator to charge up the batteries. Started just fine. So I went to push the store button and it won't click and won't turn off the power to the coach. So I am thinking they installed something wrong or shorted it out.
Old 11-19-2017, 02:02 AM   #12

THOR #8012
Quote:
Yes I mean the coach. No I am not remembering incorrect. The coach was started several times while at CW before they reinstalled the brake cable and brake sensor cable. After they installed it they parked it for about three days and found the batteries dead when I went to pick it up. They jumped it so I could bring it home. When I got it home I parked it and let it run and ran the generator to charge up the batteries. Started just fine. So I went to push the store button and it won't click and won't turn off the power to the coach. So I am thinking they installed something wrong or shorted it out.
Just trying to help you out, because three of the responses were explaining that the use/store switch has nothing to do with chassis batteries.

So, by being clear that you are in fact talking about the coach batteries, then these guys can lead you in the right direction.
Old 11-19-2017, 02:05 AM   #13

THOR #7738
Quote:
Just trying to help you out, because three of the responses were explaining that the use/store switch has nothing to do with chassis batteries.

So, by being clear that you are in fact talking about the coach batteries, then these guys can lead you in the right direction.

I understand and thank you. The problem is that both the chassis and the coach batteries were dead. They jumped it and it started. But they tried to use the emergency start but it wouldn't work. So I think it was because the batteries were with too low or dead.
Old 11-19-2017, 02:11 AM   #14

THOR #8012
Quote:
I understand and thank you. The problem is that both the chassis and the coach batteries were dead. They jumped it and it started. But they tried to use the emergency start but it wouldn't work. So I think it was because the batteries were with too low or dead.
Now that it's clear you are talking coach batteries, which is much different, than others can chime in that know more than me. It might be a switch as mentioned.

One question, when you are hitting "store" do you have the coach hooked to shore power or unplugged? I believe mine will keep lights on and coach powered when plugged into shore power, even if you press store (but I'm not 100% sure I'm remembering correctly).
Old 11-19-2017, 02:24 AM   #15

THOR #7738
Quote:
Now that it's clear you are talking coach batteries, which is much different, than others can chime in that know more than me. It might be a switch as mentioned.

One question, when you are hitting "store" do you have the coach hooked to shore power or unplugged? I believe mine will keep lights on and coach powered when plugged into shore power, even if you press store (but I'm not 100% sure I'm remembering correctly).

Yes I am hitting it while plugged into 110 v. which the store button worked before while plugged in. I can unplug it and see what happens.
Old 11-19-2017, 04:25 AM   #16

THOR #8012
Quote:
Yes I am hitting it while plugged into 110 v. which the store button worked before while plugged in. I can unplug it and see what happens.
You might check it that way. As I said, I'm going by memory because my coach is stored across town and I can't check, but I believe when plugged in the coach will still be powered, even if you press store.

However, if while connected to shore power you hit store, from what I've read neither the coach nor house batteries will be charged. But, again, all the things that would normally run off the coach batteries will stay powered on (lights, vent fans, furnace fan, etc.).

Best way to test your use/store switch would be to unplug from shore power and then test it.