Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-14-2019, 02:15 AM   #41

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 31W
State: Minnesota
THOR #14057
This is all good info. A lot of different approaches. I’ll prolly take some of this and some of that.

Thanks
JJ

FMCA F496287
JJMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 02:24 AM   #42

Model: Miramar 34.1
State: Florida
THOR #11104
We have lists for pre trip, set up, break down, etc., but all but one of our trips have been with my experienced inlaws and we've been a bit spoiled by all of their help setting up and breaking down and thus not relying on lists.

But after reading through this thread I'm realizing we need to be using those lists!
Old 01-14-2019, 11:56 AM   #43

Model: Axis 25.5
THOR #4802
Like others, we've been RV'ing for decades, so a lot of it is from memory. That said, I try to keep a lot of things in stock and on board, so don't have to put it all back in, every time we plan to head out. Of course, this is easier because we store our Axis in a pole barn on our property, so its not baking in the sun and weather and security isn't an issue for us. I'm talking about things like tools, small batteries, grilling supplies and equipment, folding chairs, tables and even a compartment full of firewood. I keep about 5 days supply of basic clothing; underwear, socks, shorts, t-shirts, and a sweat shirt, etc. Also, at least a 12 pack of bottled water, all seasonings, coffee, canned goods, cooking and eating utensils, paper products, etc., in the kitchen. So, when we go, usually all we have to add is trip specific clothing and fresh food items. Finally, we try to pack over a period of 3 to 4 days before a trip. This spreads out the work (we're old so that's important) and it gives us time to remember things that otherwise would be forgotten. Check lists are a definite help.
Old 01-14-2019, 12:52 PM   #44

Model: 2018 Compass 23TR
State: Michigan
THOR #11426
Anyone willing to share their checklists?
Old 01-14-2019, 01:14 PM   #45

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
Whatever checklist you use should end with a final walk around. When I pull out of my campsite I also get out and walk the site to make sure I have all my stuff and left no garbage behind. My Dad always said "leave it like you found it, or better".
Old 01-15-2019, 12:45 PM   #46

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miramar Owner View Post
Whatever checklist you use should end with a final walk around. When I pull out of my campsite I also get out and walk the site to make sure I have all my stuff and left no garbage behind. My Dad always said "leave it like you found it, or better".

You can never over-check. I also pull out of the site and somewhere before leaving the campground I'll do another quick walk-around as the wife does a quick walk-through of the inside. Amazing how often you'll find a little something you overlooked...even if it's as small as a glass jar on the fridge shelve instead of secured in the door.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 01:36 PM   #47

Model: Axis 25.5
THOR #4802
As you do your walkaround, be sure to also look up. Learned this the hard way last year We'd camped in beautiful Calhoun Falls state park in SC. Lots of trees around our site. Our awning is fairly high off the ground and the supports are also above usual eye level. You can guess where this is going. I did the usual walkaround but somehow overlooked the extended awning. Broke it so bad that I had to drag the picnic table over to stand on and cut it away from where it was fastened near the roof of our Axis. Axis power awnings are $1900+ installed, of which I had to pay the $500 deductible. Strictly a rookie mistake for well experienced 4 decade+ RV'ers.
Old 01-15-2019, 02:06 PM   #48

Model: 34F
State: Oklahoma
THOR #8432
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
You can never over-check. I also pull out of the site and somewhere before leaving the campground I'll do another quick walk-around as the wife does a quick walk-through of the inside. Amazing how often you'll find a little something you overlooked...even if it's as small as a glass jar on the fridge shelve instead of secured in the door.
Hear, hear! Let's ask why they can't make pickle jars out of plastic! They do for Mustard, Ketchup and Relish, so I wait in anticipation for that. Either that or I'll put the pickle jar in the veggie bins (that's usually where I put the beer).
Old 01-15-2019, 02:43 PM   #49

THOR #11130
You'll only do the pickle jar trick one time. Did it years ago with the Lance truck camper. The smell of pickles 24/7 is no aphrodisiac!
Old 01-15-2019, 07:38 PM   #50

Model: 2018 Compass 23TR
THOR #11426
RV Camping Checklist

Like many of you, I feel more comfortable (and less likely to forget things) if I use a checklist. Found this website in a Google search, and thought it was a pretty handy tool.

RV Camping Checklist

The site allows you to make a customized checklist for camping gear, tools, tech stuff, clothing, food, pet supplies, sporting goods, etc. You simply check items on the (exhaustive) master list, and press “Submit”, and a personalized checklist will print out with the items you checked.

This doesn’t address checklists for Setup/Teardown, etc, but the Changing Gears site seems to do a pretty good job with those procedures,

RV Checklists

and bevedfelker’s Vegas_Axis_Manual (link in his earlier post) has some awesome checklists!

Hope some will find this helpful!
Old 01-15-2019, 07:43 PM   #51
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
You'll only do the pickle jar trick one time. Did it years ago with the Lance truck camper. The smell of pickles 24/7 is no aphrodisiac!

I think it depends on whether they were sweet; or dill...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 08:57 PM   #52
lug

Model: ACE 32.1
THOR #11442
Here's one if you use a notepad or phone, Android or Apple, checklist you can get from Thor. Scroll down, download and follow instructions. You can track chassis, generator and motorhome maintenance too.

https://www.thormotorcoach.com/owners/
Old 01-17-2019, 02:24 AM   #53

THOR #8432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
I think it depends on whether they were sweet; or dill... [emoji38]
I think they were... coming to me from the ground (?) Up. Sticky, sticky floor though.
Old 01-22-2019, 09:42 PM   #54

State: Alabama
THOR #8604
I developed a few lists. At my age I don’t trust myself to remember everything. As for setup, if you forget anything, i.e. turning on the hot water, it will soon be obvious. My lists are “menu maker”, “Pack Checklist”, “Tote inventory” (for the three totes that hold my outside gear), “Preflight” and a “closing inventory checklist” so we don’t forget to pack essentials for the next trip (TP, napkins, paper plates, baggies, etc). I find the preflight most helpful so I don’t forget stuff like latching the fridge closed, and programming my garmen. They’re lifesavers. I actually left the dealership one time with the back slideout unsecured. Now it’s on my preflight list so it won’t be forgotten again.
Old 01-24-2019, 01:50 AM   #55

THOR #8432
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkat334 View Post
I developed a few lists. At my age I don’t trust myself to remember everything. As for setup, if you forget anything, i.e. turning on the hot water, it will soon be obvious. My lists are “menu maker”, “Pack Checklist”, “Tote inventory” (for the three totes that hold my outside gear), “Preflight” and a “closing inventory checklist” so we don’t forget to pack essentials for the next trip (TP, napkins, paper plates, baggies, etc). I find the preflight most helpful so I don’t forget stuff like latching the fridge closed, and programming my garmen. They’re lifesavers. I actually left the dealership one time with the back slideout unsecured. Now it’s on my preflight list so it won’t be forgotten again.
Maybe they'll have Alexxa to go through the list with us. "Dear? Did you remember to unhook the hoses, lower the antenna, latch all the doors .... etc, etc"? I remember when I first started RVing, I had a list in my Hardback Notebook with all the things to do for set up and get going again. Still have the walkie-talkies for talking back and forth.
Old 01-24-2019, 03:01 AM   #56

Model: 2013 Thor Damon Daybreak
State: Colorado
THOR #3604
I keep a list on my iPad, it’s ever evolving
Dvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 12:12 PM   #57

THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cason61 View Post
Maybe they'll have Alexxa to go through the list with us. "Dear? Did you remember to unhook the hoses, lower the antenna, latch all the doors .... etc, etc"? I remember when I first started RVing, I had a list in my Hardback Notebook with all the things to do for set up and get going again. Still have the walkie-talkies for talking back and forth.

Some things should never change. I still do it this way with a "3-ring binder" notebook. Has tabs and everything. I have "blank forms" I fill out for check lists. I have a tab for each state and we list/add destinations as we discover things we want to see. I do store CG maps ans lots of data on the laptop but the old "non-paperless" programs has worked very well all my life and still does. Nothing better than reading something off a real piece of paper where you can really edit it as you go. The "notebook" doesn't need charging and nothing mysteriously gets lost. If the lighting isn't good enough I break out the old metal, EverReady flashlight that only requires 2 C cells. It isn't easy being me but...the older I get, the more I enjoy it!
Old 01-24-2019, 01:33 PM   #58
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1548336780
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version