Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-31-2018, 08:39 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Tennessee
THOR #11923
Child carseat restraint

We will be having small children traveling with us. 1 and 4 year old. How do people handle the child carseat situation? We have at Class c 2017 Thor Freedom Elite 26.

Old 01-02-2019, 05:03 AM   #2

State: California
THOR #13937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Priscilla View Post
We will be having small children traveling with us. 1 and 4 year old. How do people handle the child carseat situation? We have at Class c 2017 Thor Freedom Elite 26.
This is what I came on to ask also.... any input is much appreciated
Old 01-02-2019, 09:40 PM   #3

State: Tennessee
THOR #11923
Child restraint carseats

I've found the answer to my own question and I'm not very happy about it. It seems most RVs aren't really equipped with seat belts for children's car seats. The only safe solution I found was to put children in a car and follow the RV. Seems like the industry could have come up withe a better solution then this.
Old 01-02-2019, 09:47 PM   #4

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
The Super C has the option at the dinette but only for one car seat. Dealers don't order them because it raises the price a few bucks...they are too cheap. It should be a mandated item in every coach...especially the models with bunks or overhead beds.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 10:28 PM   #5

State: California
THOR #13937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Priscilla View Post
I've found the answer to my own question and I'm not very happy about it. It seems most RVs aren't really equipped with seat belts for children's car seats. The only safe solution I found was to put children in a car and follow the RV. Seems like the industry could have come up withe a better solution then this.
My Miramar has seat belts at the Dinette Table, and I managed to strap the car seats in there (as I have twins). The part I'm curious about is the secondary safety hooks, that is usually at the back of the seat (in a car or suv).
Old 01-03-2019, 12:18 AM   #6
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
We've done the best we could when traveling with little one... As a parent/grandparent - you need to decide what you are comfortable with.

RV's don't have ideal locations for car seats/booster seats - and I've never seen one with the secondary hooks.

The dinette forward facing bench was best I could find in our RV - and managed to secure the car seat to my satisfaction the few times we needed to. Not sure I could secure two seats in that location though...

Behind the driver/passenger seats it seems seat belts and most certainly child restraints are an after thought... Or maybe intentionally omitted... If they provide car seat anchors, then they are responsible if they fail..
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 02:49 AM   #7

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exilenla View Post
My Miramar has seat belts at the Dinette Table, and I managed to strap the car seats in there (as I have twins). The part I'm curious about is the secondary safety hooks, that is usually at the back of the seat (in a car or suv).
That's what is in the Super C's...seat belts at dinette and sofa, but the little hook thing at top of seat is the option dealers don't pay for.

Tags
children carseats