Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-11-2018, 02:13 PM   #1
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
A Class C with four Slides?

It seems that Lipppert is busy with experiments...

https://newatlas.com/lippert-slide-o...concept/57173/

Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 07:17 PM   #2

State: Texas
THOR #2121
From stupid to absurd.

Four tiny slides? A great way for then to make a lot of money but not much more than that as far as I’m concerned.

A while back they had an example of floorplans for comparison on how slides add space. Obviously, only when parked and set up for camping. Even then, by comparison, their example saves the equivalent of a couple of feet to motorhome length. Some buyers may not want a motorhome 2-feet longer, but I certainly would take the longer but simpler unit. I’d bet it would weigh less, cost less, and last longer with fewer problems. In their comparison, I’m not sure how you’d get into bathroom with slide retracted.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	99976AB2-7036-4D06-82A8-9D9A7FEA0537.jpeg
Views:	137
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	13988  
Old 11-11-2018, 09:44 PM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Well since that is a Lippert vehicle I would surmise that its just there to show off their tech and thus isn't really indicative of something that would actually be built.

Individual pieces or items of that may show up in future motorhomes. Its basically a "Look what we can do" prototype.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 11:22 PM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Chance,
We all know that you don't like them: why not just be happy that somebody is trying to design something new?

It may not be your cup of tea; but it sure as Hell might be someone else's...
Old 11-12-2018, 01:00 AM   #5

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Slides are not just to add space. As Chance points out it would be easier to do that with length. I find the real value of slides to be in making your space user friendly and inviting. Unless you travel alone it’s nice to be able to fit two people in the kitchen or even just to be able to pass by each other without gymnastics. I resisted slides for a while back in the 90s but I’ve not had much trouble with them.
Old 11-12-2018, 01:47 AM   #6

Model: Quantum RS26
State: Indiana
THOR #10823
I figured slides were nothing but a headache waiting to happen. We picked our RS26 because of having only one small slide. After a year of using it with just DW and the dog I really wish we had a full left wall slide like the RC25 for the extra space when set up.
Old 11-12-2018, 02:06 AM   #7

Model: Four Winds 28z
State: Florida
THOR #5725
After shoring mine up w about 15 new screws today i would agree. Needs to be a 6 month check item.
Old 11-12-2018, 02:51 AM   #8

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Chance,
We all know that you don't like them: why not just be happy that somebody is trying to design something new?

It may not be your cup of tea; but it sure as Hell might be someone else's...
I’m neither happy nor unhappy because of what others choose to buy. It’s not my problem either way. If others want to buy an extra tiny slide to house a wine cooler, or put an extra hole in an RV for a dog bed, go for it.
Old 11-12-2018, 02:53 AM   #9

Model: Four Winds 28z
THOR #5725
I just wish they could make something more reliable. I would love to see a “history of slideouts” on the history channel.
Old 11-12-2018, 12:18 PM   #10

THOR #2121
Agree on historical perspective. A quick search shows that Mahlon Miller is credited with inventing the modern powered slide-out in 1990. However, the concept of a slideout to create space dates back over 100 years.

https://vimeo.com/115109928
Old 11-12-2018, 01:18 PM   #11
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazinskm View Post
I just wish they could make something more reliable. I would love to see a “history of slideouts” on the history channel.
I DO agree with you 138%!
Old 11-24-2018, 07:30 PM   #12

State: British Columbia
THOR #12644
Slides are a pain, IMO. They weaken the surrounding structure and are a source of potential leaks. Lippert Schwintech slides are especially problematic. 2 small motors that have to operate in synch. Only decent slide ever built was the custom designed one used in the now defunct Snowriver truck camper (owner died of a heart attack in 2009 and it was a very small family run company). That one had tolerance so tight you could hardly fit a dime between the slide and the wall. (the US military was looking at them). My latest rig has no slide and I am glad it doesn't. The last one in my Arctic Fox would not come in while i was in Zacetecas Mexico. I struggled with it for 2 days before I eventually got it in. Found out it had been installed incorrectly by the manufacturer.
Old 12-09-2018, 10:03 PM   #13

Model: RC25
THOR #11860
Hard to blame the slide because of poor installation, I have never had a slide issue, seen a few but only a small percentage when you consider the number of RV's out there bumping down the road.
Old 12-09-2018, 11:45 PM   #14
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazinskm View Post
It would have to be on the Horror Movie Channel...
Old 12-10-2018, 12:40 AM   #15

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
Slides are and have always been a mixed bag, so to speak. They certainly make the interior space more usable and people friendly when parked, but they can also be the source of problems. Having had a 41 foot bus for almost twelve years, with four very large slides, and the current Gemini with two very small slides, I fortunately have had no problem with any of them. Most of the problems, IMO, have more to do with installation issues, rather than the fact its a slide. I, personally, like the additional space slides provide, but that's my preference.
Old 12-10-2018, 07:04 AM   #16

State: Washington
THOR #6433
As someone that currently has an issue with a slide, bent arm for the roller the issues can suck. But in general I couldn’t imagine not having a slide just the amount of added space that you get no matter how frivolous it may seem can really make a difference sometimes. Any kid of experiments that make things better for future Rvs is good
Old 12-10-2018, 01:18 PM   #17
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I agree... They may not be trouble-free; but I sure like the space that they give me!
My Outlaw had a single slide, and it got traded in with a bad slide motor...
The new rig has two slides: time will tell if that is double the trouble...
Old 12-10-2018, 02:16 PM   #18

THOR #2121
Some floorplans need the width provided by a slide more than others. Many smaller motorhomes with one small slide, like the Axis/Vegas for example, gain less than 10 square feet of space, so it’s not all that significant from a space standpoint.

The sad part is that manufacturers have essentially decided for us that we ALL need slides whether we like them or not.
Old 12-10-2018, 04:14 PM   #19

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
The manufactures make what sells. Most people want the slides, so most RV's are manufactured with them. There are a few that don't have them, for those that do not want them. Its all about profit, and making what people want, expressed by sales, will continue to drive what configurations are built.
Old 12-10-2018, 09:47 PM   #20

THOR #2121
“What sells” isn’t decided by buyers in a vacuum; it’s greatly influenced by marketing. Manufacturers and dealers literally spend millions to convince buyers that they need items that make manufacturers and/or dealers the most profit.

No doubt “most” Americans want slides. The same can’t be said about other parts of the world where RVs don’t normally have slides.